SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:23 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Micro T-28 Mods

I haven't seen a thread dedicated specifically to modding the Parkzone Ultra Micro T-28, so I thought I'd start one up for all of us who can't leave well enough alone!

The goal here is to keep the content of this thread specifically to modifying the Micro T-28, including pictures videos and tips and tricks. General how-to questions and flight reviews should be kept in the other 2 main discussion threads.

With that said... let the modding begin!!

I'll start with a nice 3-blade prop mod I did to the newest member of my fleet. I have it's older brother and absolutely loved what the Master Air Screw 9x7 three blade has done for it, so I decided to give it a shot on the Micro. There is definitely a decrease in overall thrust with the 3-blade, however I will say actual airspeed is identical if not a touch faster compared to the stock prop. To me it flies a bit more "scale" with the 3-blade because you do need to keep airspeed up if you want to perform aerobatics. The stock prop lets you get away with keeping airspeed down because if you get into a jam you can nail the throttle and thrust alone will help you to recover. You can't really do that with the 3-blade, but then again a full size Trojan isn't exactly made to hold vertical and hang on the prop!

What other mods are you fellas doing?
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:40 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Just got mine yestaerday and haven't seen a need for mods. Well done Parkzone!!
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:57 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Where did you get that 3-blade prop, and what are its specs? I was going to carefully cut a GWS 6030x3 down to a 5x3x3 or a 4.5x3x3 prop.

My only mods, so far, are to judiciously apply clear tape to the leading half of the wingtips and to the points on the wing where it widens to meet the fuselage. In the former case, it's to stop the wingtips from getting dinged up too badly. In the latter case, it's where extensive stress testing (ha) has shown that's where cracks are likely to start when you do something a little too close to the ground. There's also just a little clear tape right on the very top of the canopy. Given those springy landing gear it is possible to land fast enough on rough terrain that the plane flips over. The EPS foam on the fuselage is rather soft.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
I had the prop from an old Venom thrust vectoring B-17. I'm not too sure on the specs, but I will check tonight if they have the pitch/length stamped on them.

Cutting down a GWS is another great (and inexpensive) option - nice thinking! Just so everyone knows, the Props on the T-28 are screwed into place (counter-clockwise to get them off, and clockwise to tighten them down).

I am ordering up a light kit for this little guy and will be putting them on as soon as they arrive. Should give it a nice scale look during dusk and dawn flights!!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:38 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
What I really wanna know is how long until we see the first brushless Trojans? The Trojan's stock powerplant already draws as much current as an AP05 1S BL setup. There's plenty of room in the cowl, and the Trojan has the wing area that it hauls around a 240 mAH Hyperion cell without breaking a sweat. So who's gonna be the first to take the brushless leap?
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Family pics!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:37 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
subscribed

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:52 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Subbed !
Nice work..... have you a link for the prop ?
also what light kit you going for the same as nightflyer that's the route I will take I think.

Micro T-28 Trojan mods with Tiny Brite Lights +Modifications. (5 min 49 sec)
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:41 AM
Joined Jul 2006
582 Posts
Magnetic Stand:

microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:15 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
FLOATS! My lhs is getting the UM T-28s in on Wednesday and here is my plan for floats. I have Jins floats for the Champ. I took the LG slot (plastic piece) off of the Champ. I'm going to insert that plastic piece into the bottom of the T-28 so the LG will slide into it. The other side will just stick into the foam, since it has the bend in it. BTW if you're not understanding this, look at his float thread.

My one question is, how do you determine where to put the floats. I know it has to go in a certain location. Is there any rule to follow?
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Oct 20, 2010, 07:02 AM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Magnetic Stand:

Very cool!! Are you going to start manufacturing them so the rest of us can buy one!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 09:13 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
Subscribed
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:56 PM
Joined Jul 2006
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer View Post
Very cool!! Are you going to start manufacturing them so the rest of us can buy one!
I'm not a business man i make only five for my planes
But is not difficult to make. I found the base part in a local shop and use 4mm acrylic glass rod and the magnet which can you find in many shops.
Acrylic stuff for example can find here:
http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co...1006_1069.html
http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co...1006_1078.html
Old Oct 21, 2010, 01:49 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
I'm not a business man i make only five for my planes
But is not difficult to make. I found the base part in a local shop and use 4mm acrylic glass rod and the magnet which can you find in many shops.
Acrylic stuff for example can find here:
http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co...1006_1069.html
Acrylic base looks expensive

Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:15 AM
Joined Jul 2006
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
I think this price is for 11 piece.