HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:22 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
70mm F-5E EDF From BananaHobby.com

This blog will cover the build-up and modification of the Starmax/Blitz RC Works F-5E 70mm EDF.

Recently I decided that I was ready to build and fly an EDF and I knew that I wanted a military aircraft, not something like the Habu, even though my first two planes were from Parkzone. I searched various marketers like Toysonics and Banana Hobby, and did some research here as well.

Further, I wanted an aircraft that was similar in scale to my PZ T-28C if possible, which I could fly with my DX6i, and which would fly well on a 4S setup since I already have a PolyCharger4 which can only go to 4S batteries. Every dollar I spend on RC planes is a dollar I don't get to spend flying the real things, so I am sensitive to having to start over with any technology.

I looked into the aircraft and found that although there were many complaints about the retracts and servos, reports were that the Starmax 70mm F-5E was a solid airframe, and best of all, it was nearly the same scale (1/10.9) as my PZ T-28C (1/11) - so I decided to buy one.

Being a bit of a guy who roots for the underdog, I decided to give Banana Hobby a shot at my money after sending out questions to Toysonics, Banana Hobby and the newly introduced Hobby Shop Warehouse. Only Banana Hobby answered my e-mails (hat-tip to Lauren in Customer Service).

My plan initially was to build this plane as a tribute to VFC-126, the Bandits, who flew the F-5E as the Pacific Fleet Adversary squadron from NAS Miramar. I currently live and work in San Diego and wanted to pay homage to the local boys (Miramar is now a Marine Corps Air Station).

I ordered the plane on Friday September 10, and it arrived this afternoon at my office in San Diego.

Initial inspection and inventory found a beautifully molded airframe, in great colors, with decals for VFC-13 The 'Saints' from NAS Fallon already installed. I decided that beyond some simple color modifications (white on the underside) and additional decals/markings, the jet will remain essentially as shipped.

Updated to add photos from last night's build session.

GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Sep 16, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:05 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Hey, John...where ya been man? Aaron
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Hey Aaron. Been doing well, how are you and the UT outlaws doing?

I am in San Diego, been here a year now working on the Mitsubishi Regional jet program.

Pretty good flying weather here. I added a PZ Extra 300 to the stable a couple months ago - never did finish that big F-18C pusher, still a bunch of cut foam ready to go someday.

Hope you guys are doing well.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:57 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
We are doing well here. All still alive and healthy. Really, what more can we ask for? We have the semi annual Un-Civil war coming up Oct 9th. Check my blog to see what else has been going on. There are quite a few videos there. Things right around here have slowed down some. Everyone still flies, but we dont meet in the big groups as often anymore. I have about 14 planes right now, with 13 in the DX7

Glad to see you are still flying...I sent you a PM a WHILE back and never heard from ya, so I thought you may have quit flyin or something. Good to hear from ya.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:54 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Hi John! Aaron told me about your blog. Good to hear that you're doing well. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of the F-5E.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Darth - how are you? Still doing the FPV? I am doing well, moving into my first EDF with the F-5E, which will now be an F-5N - still flying my T-28 although it is down for BEC and retracts, and I bought a PZ Extra 300 a couple months ago and am flying the hell out of it, love it.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:37 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Yep, still doing FPV. I haven't dared to it again up at Francis Peak though.

Does the PZ Extra have plenty of power for hovering? I'm still working on hovering my Edge 540. It hasn't come naturally for me. I've wondered if it's because I need a 3D bird with more power.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
I would not consider the PZ Extra 300 a true 3D plane, and neither does ParkZone. With a 12x6e APC prop it will climb vertically beyond sight, at full power - I would think a real 3D plane would be hovering on 50% power. That said, it can basically hover at 80-90% power, but the control surface sizes and deflections are not suitable IMO. It is a great sportplane, and can fly the IMAC basic/sportsman sequence - I am teaching it to myself right now - 2 practice flights per day.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I should steer clear of that one and maybe upgrade the motor on my current bird to get better hover performance.