HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:12 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbike View Post
I have the TJ 80 1509- 2Y and max temp last few flights was 209 F. It is a ice 100 with the heat sink removed in the tailcone. Seems to me the heat coming off the big neu motor is what's hitting the front of the esc. And, the air rushing by on the outside of the cone is trying to suck the air out of the cone. There is no real cool (fresh) air hitting it head on. Is this really the best way? The esc is also wrapped in a plastic type sleeve. I used a silicon wrap on this new one, leaving the ends open the best I could. Never seen temps this high. concern? Stephan
How is your throttle management? Are you at wot the while time or mid range? Typically if your in the mid range the whole flight it's harder on the ESC and generating more ripple current compared to running at WOT. How are the outside ambient conditions? Hot out, cold out, etc?

I run an ice 100 in the tailcone and don't seem temps over 150 usually, but if you can provide more data we might be able to whittle down the cause.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:48 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmbike View Post
I have the TJ 80 1509- 2Y and max temp last few flights was 209 F. It is a ice 100 with the heat sink removed in the tailcone. Seems to me the heat coming off the big neu motor is what's hitting the front of the esc. And, the air rushing by on the outside of the cone is trying to suck the air out of the cone. There is no real cool (fresh) air hitting it head on. Is this really the best way? The esc is also wrapped in a plastic type sleeve. I used a silicon wrap on this new one, leaving the ends open the best I could. Never seen temps this high. concern? Stephan
yep those temps are high but it does depend on a few things, I would like to ask a couple questions, what was the ambient temp when you recorded that flight? and was that a peak temp? how long did it stay at 200+? did you or Tamjets install the esc in the tailcone. what could be happening is the airflow thru the tailcone is blocked. Tam has a custom wire install that keeps the wires out of the way of blocking the airflow and sometimes depending on which TJ fan and motor the tailcones/esc installs can be tight or lots of room so on the tight ones we add some cooling exits to the back of the cone where it tapers down just adding some oval cutouts to let the 150+mph airflow out. ok thats one possibility but a second one just occurred to me, arent you the one with short flight times and said you run the whole flight at wot..........you might want to back off the throttle a bit and let the sytem cool down....thats possibility number two. depending on how you are reaching 200degs it could be ok. in the summer out here in calif it gets hot 100+degs and they do get up to 200degs but as soon as you back off the throttle the temps drop quickly thats one way to tell if your cooling is working looking at temp plots against power or throttle out plots

you could also send it to Tam to have checked out, if you bought it PnP and its less than 1yr old its still under full parts and labor warranty.
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:07 AM
United States, CA, Palm Desert
Joined Jan 2009
137 Posts
high esc temps

I ran it again today with ambient temps in the mid 90's. Palm desert, CA, quite nice this time of year, it's just to let us know what's really coming. Anyway, today it read 238!!!. But I really think I'm getting bad readings off the castle link. When I land the jet, I immediately shoot a infared gun up the thrust tube and hit the ice 100 and it reads around 105. Sure I backed off the throttle to land and then taxied to the pits. But if it really hit 238 in the air, I find it hard to believe it cooled off that fast. Hell the batteries were in the 125-135 range. I did run it hard, but also coasted for 5- 10 seconds three or four times during the flight. Castle told me that if it reaches 220 it will shut down. It didn't. It put out 103.5 amps and 3100+ watts, so it is up to snuff. Couldn't be happier with it, just don't want to fry it. Tomorrow I think I will run it wide open on the stand for a minute to minute and a half and check the temp right away. It's possible the castle link is giving me double the actual temps and it is only reaching 119. I'll keep on it and get it sorted out. Thanks for the help guys. This thread has been invaluable to me, especially when I was building the first one. Lots of nice tips. Stephan
stmbike is offline Find More Posts by stmbike
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:49 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
can you post asnapshot of the datalog of that flight, with temp,volts, throttle out and amps
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,654 Posts
Has there been any updates on the availability of the cf nose gear door using tams struts?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Has there been any updates on the availability of the cf nose gear door using tams struts?

We haven't changed out the existing struts on our Habu 32 for the Tams units yet.
If you use the bungy method, you will most likely require a "Glide Bump" for the strut to slide against. Something from the "scoops" or "lenses" page from www.parkflyerplastics.com should work. (see the photo of my Viperjet)

If you control the door with a servo, the Glide Bump is not required.

It's not shown in the photoe on the web page, but we are supplying both the plain nylon, and the offset hinges with Carbon door kits at this time.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Habu-32-Nose...or-HABND-1.htm
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,909 Posts
For those of you who are using the E-Flite wire struts with the retracts. The "glide Bump is not required. The door slides along the strut wire.

(Plastic nose door shown)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:39 AM
Roll with the changes...
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Hey guys. Kind'of late to the party here, but has anyone mounted the ESC under the battery tray? Any experience with cooling or lack there of? Seems like a logical place to put it and it looks like there will be airflow from the nose wheel opening across the esc to the opening between the inlets.

Any experience trying this?

I'm all stock BTW.

Thanks.
RibarSRQ is offline Find More Posts by RibarSRQ
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:08 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,735 Posts
My controller is under the battery tray. ive never had an issue even on 100 degree days.

i am running an 8 cell setup i currently use an hv 120 cc.
i have also used the hw esc.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
Roll with the changes...
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2012
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
My controller is under the battery tray. ive never had an issue even on 100 degree days.

i am running an 8 cell setup i currently use an hv 120 cc.
i have also used the hw esc.
Thanks Robert!
RibarSRQ is offline Find More Posts by RibarSRQ
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:17 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibarSRQ View Post
Hey guys. Kind'of late to the party here, but has anyone mounted the ESC under the battery tray? Any experience with cooling or lack there of? Seems like a logical place to put it and it looks like there will be airflow from the nose wheel opening across the esc to the opening between the inlets.

Any experience trying this?

I'm all stock BTW.

Thanks.
I removed the battery tray, made mounts so it can be taken in and out, put the batteries under the tray, and mounted the ESC on top of the tray. Works perfect!
racer001 is offline Find More Posts by racer001
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:12 AM
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2009
689 Posts
We maidened two Habu's this week. Mine is all stock with Tams struts and brakes. The other had a TJ80. Great flying plane. This was the second flight on mine.

Habu 32 Second Flight 124MPH (4 min 30 sec)
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:14 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Nice! But I'd pull the fan and check it and rebalance it. The low rpm was pretty noisy. These fans will explode if you push them hard out of balance.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:33 AM
Northern CA
Joined Apr 2003
124 Posts
Subscribed!

Love the way this little guy flies!
sharam is offline Find More Posts by sharam
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
11 Posts
Habu 32

Hi everyone..can i put in habu 32 a 90mm edf unit???i have the metal 12 blades from hk with a mad thrust 1600kv 6cell motor..
Here is the link of the edf

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Heatsink.html

And here is the motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ion_36mm_.html
teris is offline Find More Posts by teris