HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Jul 2011
154 Posts
I have the tamjet struts and brakes - does anyone else have a lot of drag on the wheels? They turn but won't spin freely.
Boston Bob is offline Find More Posts by Boston Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
Friedclutch,

Do you have the ambient temperature at flight time for your doppler analysis?
At the beginning of the video the camera man states at the ambient temp is 55 deg f. I should have the readings ready tonight. [/QUOTE]
I really wasn't paying attention.
I got that video confused with John's latest habu2 video. My mistake Fried.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:53 PM
Joined Mar 2009
43 Posts
Question, has anybody done any tinting to the canopy???. I'm trying to go for a gold metallic tint to the canopy. Any help would be very appreciated =]
YF-22 117 is offline Find More Posts by YF-22 117
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:06 AM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
7 cell speed run doppler

Ok.. The results are in for the 7 cell lipo on stock motor/fan..

I was very honest with the temp and sound trace end points. John is very accurate when he says 130 mph on 7 cells stock is easy.

Some pre-results notes. The early passes are not very close to the microphone and there is some background noise. You can hear some other aircraft motors and some chatter from other pilots at the field. As a result you can see the "+/-" resolution/accuracy spread larger on the noisier passes. Pass 9 is the clearest sound trace that is closest to the microphone. The MPH resolution reflects this.

Pass 1:

Is a noisey trace. There is a motor running in the backgroud and the throttle is backed off just after the pass. The cleanest trace I could get from the video on pass 1 is 155 mph. +/-11 mph resolution.

Pass 2:

137.1 mph. Better pass but still a noisey pass. Can only get +/-7 mph resolution.

Pass 3:

137 mph: +/- 7mph resolution.

Pass 4:

131 mph: +/- 7mph resolution.

Pass 5:

Estimated half throttle with rolling maneuvers

Pass 6:

Estimated 3/4 throttle with rolling maneuvers.

Pass 7:

Could not see airplane... Estimated half throttle. Likely cool down pass

Pass 8:

137mph. +/- 7 mph resolution

Pass 9:

136 mph +/- 5 mph resolution. Pass 9 has the best accuracy and trace. The airplane is the closest to the microphone of all passes and pass 9 has the least amount of background noise.

Pass 10:

Landing.

From these readings you can see that 140 mph is possible on stock power with 7 cells, upgraded ESC, and a motor heat sink. I would like to see some radar on a 7cell habu for comparison.

Cheers!
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Last edited by Friedclutch; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added to the post
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:08 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF-22 117 View Post
Question, has anybody done any tinting to the canopy???. I'm trying to go for a gold metallic tint to the canopy. Any help would be very appreciated =]
Tamiya PS-31 "smoke" for polycarbonate works great (sprayed on the inside)
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ray-paint.html
The more coats, the darker it gets. I did it lightly, so you can still see the pilot.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:31 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
very nice friedclutch
if you dont mind me asking which software are you using for doppler and are you calculating the +/- mph or does the software do it? thanks again I know how much work that was

John
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
I like all the 7s data, I think it's a great compromise for weight, cost and performance.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined Mar 2009
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Tamiya PS-31 "smoke" for polycarbonate works great (sprayed on the inside)
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ray-paint.html
The more coats, the darker it gets. I did it lightly, so you can still see the pilot.
so, what would you think about the translucent silver? Hit or miss
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:40 AM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
The program is called WAVEoScope. It uses a sound audio file in .wav file extension. "wav format". Basically you enter a sound file into waveoscope and it compiles the sound file and charts the sound kilohertz shift (doppler shift) as the object approaches and passes the microphone. The program does the calculation. The original program is done in german. Since then, some developers have recompiled the program in english. I have both copies. The program is not completely automatic however. You have to capture the sound of a "pass" from the video and enter it into the program. The program generates a graphic display of the audio and the user has to click the graphic on the correct beginning and exit parts of the display. It sounds complicated but a pic is worth a thousand. A video even better. There are some videos online. Just do a search on youtube. Also a google search will find some threads on rcu and wattflyer to name a couple.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:49 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF-22 117 View Post
so, what would you think about the translucent silver? Hit or miss
I have no experience with it.

Here's what Tamiya say's.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/e-home.htm
I'd get a can and try it on some clear scrap material and see if you like it.

.................................................. .......................

PS-36 Translucent Silver
Tamiya Color Spray for Polycarbonate This new Tamiya Color Spray for polycarbonate will add a new dimension to your car's look. Apply first a layer of Translucent Silver before spraying any color in order to give a metallic shade to this color. Contains 100ml. Item 86036

PS-37 Translucent Red
PS-38 Translucent Blue
PS-39 Translucent Light Blue
PS-40 Translucent Pink

Tamiya Color Spray for Polycarbonate Tamiya presents 4 new translucent Tamiya Color Sprays for polycarbonate. After applying a layer of one of these Translucent colors spray some PS-41 Bright Silver to obtain a glassy tinted metallic color. The new range will give a unique look to your car. Each contains 100ml. Item 86037, 86038, 86039, 86040 <A name=86041>
PS-41 Bright Silver
Tamiya Color Spray for Polycarbonate Bright Silver can be used directly or can be used as a base for Tamiya's translucent colors. Contains 100ml. Item 86041
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Feb 14, 2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: added link
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
The program is called WAVEoScope. It uses a sound audio file in .wav file extension. "wav format". Basically you enter a sound file into waveoscope and it compiles the sound file and charts the sound kilohertz shift (doppler shift) as the object approaches and passes the microphone. The program does the calculation. The original program is done in german. Since then, some developers have recompiled the program in english. I have both copies. The program is not completely automatic however. You have to capture the sound of a "pass" from the video and enter it into the program. The program generates a graphic display of the audio and the user has to click the graphic on the correct beginning and exit parts of the display. It sounds complicated but a pic is worth a thousand. A video even better. There are some videos online. Just do a search on youtube. Also a google search will find some threads on rcu and wattflyer to name a couple.
That's what many are currently are using.
Hyperdyne is another PC based, newer one.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:57 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
You need to be very careful and very clean when using the Tamiya smoke, practice on some scrap polycarb sheet or offcuts, old rc car bodies etc, dust seems to be magnetically attracted to the stuff. And light light coats too, it will run easy.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2009
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
You need to be very careful and very clean when using the Tamiya smoke, practice on some scrap polycarb sheet or offcuts, old rc car bodies etc, dust seems to be magnetically attracted to the stuff. And light light coats too, it will run easy.
yeah but I'm not going going for the smoke tinting, I'm want in a f22 gold mettallic tint like the real one. They have the gold but not sure it would look right, so guess I will buy a few cans and experiment
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:41 PM
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
let me check with Nick but I think its in the 80-90amp range

ok Nick has chimmed in...... 90-93amps 2300-2400watts 45,400rpm
That's quite a difference between that and the 1400-1600w with 6 cells. No wonder it can go to the next step in speed.
I will start with 6 cells and start thinking on getting a new ESC...
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
6s is more like 1800-200 watts on the stock power setup if I remember correctly.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast