HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Well had my first scuff with my habu. After getting the brakes on and working I forgot how fast this plane comes in and got so excited to try the brakes I hit them as it was on a somewhat bounce and they just made it worse and slammed the front to the ground. Broke 2 of the eflite retracts apart and a scuff on the nose, but a real good learning lesson for me.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:48 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
818 Posts
OUCH !!!!!

I plan to run it on the stock motor first and then try the Stumax again once I get the feel for it.(And the weather)
Thanks for the replies
Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oldham
Joined Feb 2013
53 Posts
Well my first post is in the biggest thread on here.
Been reading this for weeks now after buying a habu 32 with tamjet retracts
The guy I bought it off said he struggled taking it off on his patch but when I checked it the wheels would not move ! No wonder and a few other little tell tale signs that the plane had never flown !
Well anyway put a cc bec in it with 2s lipo, esc is hobbywing 100 amp deluxe got some 6 s lipos already so all I need now is the weather to pick up (UK) LOL
Been flying an habu 2 which flys like a trainer so really looking forward to this and will see how she performs
Well will now try to keep this thread updated how it goes now I've joined but work so limited time apart from the odd hr

Paul.
Angrykid23 is offline Find More Posts by Angrykid23
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, CT, Wolcott
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
my first post also. have been reading this for months. getting back flying after 20yrs, like wow have things changed! Bought a habu 32 for myself for xmass, been trying to figure out what to put in her since page 1 of this forum. still dont know,
always420 is offline Find More Posts by always420
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:42 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
put down the 420 for just a bit and then maybe you can figure it out
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:47 PM
United States, CT, Wolcott
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
gotta have a few vices. Just so many different power options, choices of servos, you guys in here made choosing which jet easy. Just dont want to make a costly mistake on my electronics.Way back when i flew,arfs were garbage and under powered with manufacturers recommendations. Dont want a slug as my habu will be my best plane in my stable.After reading this entire thread it seems that if 125 to 130 is possible stock, is the direction im leaning. Any of that make sence?
always420 is offline Find More Posts by always420
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
7s stock is my favorite setup, lite and fast. 130+ is easy

The Habu Burner's 7S Stock Speed Run (5 min 28 sec)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:44 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Great vid!

Argh! I am tired of waiting for hobby partz to stock the 7s 4400 mah pack! I wanted to save a few ounces/grams and go with the combine pack but I might have to go with a 4s and 3s in series to make it happen. I figure if I do that, it might be a little extra weight in wires and battery, but negligible at best.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:57 AM
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
7s stock is my favorite setup, lite and fast. 130+ is easy

http://youtu.be/H_o4Fgq7Fcg
What kind of heatsink are you using? I remember buying a small heatsink for 28mm motors from HK that can sit between the fan and motor fairing. Would this be enough?
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:23 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
What kind of heatsink are you using? I remember buying a small heatsink for 28mm motors from HK that can sit between the fan and motor fairing. Would this be enough?
On my stock 7s (I've had 3 now) I've gone no heatsink, Tam's heatsink/CF Tailcone and a 28mm heat sink from Effluxrc. I can't tell the difference to be honest. I've run all three in the heat of summer and I've never had an issue.
I think in any case you need throttle management. Just realize that a 28mm motor isn't great from heat dispersion so even with a heatsink 7s is still stressing the motor. Fortunately, the E-flite motor is inexpensive and e-flite over engineers all their products so you should be good to go any way you decide.
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:37 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by always420 View Post
gotta have a few vices. Just so many different power options, choices of servos, you guys in here made choosing which jet easy. Just dont want to make a costly mistake on my electronics.Way back when i flew,arfs were garbage and under powered with manufacturers recommendations. Dont want a slug as my habu will be my best plane in my stable.After reading this entire thread it seems that if 125 to 130 is possible stock, is the direction im leaning. Any of that make sence?
For me personally I would go this route as I've had 7 Habu 32's now, I've crashed a couple and sold the rest.

Servos:
Hitec HS-82MG for Nose Gear Steering, Flaps and Ailerons
Hitec HS-85MG for Elevators
Hitec HS-5085MG for Rudder
Tam's Struts with E-flite 15-25 retracts
Castle Ice 100 ESC
Castle BEC Pro
Jetfan 80
HET 700-68-1680kv Motor
Revolectrix 4000mh 60c 4s x2

If you wanted to save a little money over that setup, I'd just swap out the Jetfan/HET combo for a stock power system and run it on 7s....you can always upgrade later. Same is true for the Tam struts, you can always upgrade to those as well.

Good Luck!
swps is online now Find More Posts by swps
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:29 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
on this one in the vid, that was our first go at 7s and it just had an MPI heatsink on it. which is the standard finned heat sink. I like Tams heat sink best because it increases the contact surface area of the hsink and comes with the carbon tailcone for esc install, thats my favorite setup
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:20 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
I also run tams tailcone,ready to go with 7s
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Oldham
Joined Feb 2013
53 Posts
Wow looks like 7s might be the way to go may have to make a series lead and try this settup myself when it decides to stop snowing
Angrykid23 is offline Find More Posts by Angrykid23
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:30 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
Bad ass video on 7 cells. Pardon me while I doppler those passes tonight. I am also going to 7 cells on stock
power. Anyone have the Ice 100 settings for stock?

Edit: BTW.. that pilot is very good.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch