HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:22 PM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Gary that habu sounds great, how fast?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Gary, your habu sounds awesome! What is the AUW with that 10s setup?
Thanks guys!

It's about 8.5 lbs. I only have an analog bathroom scale that goes past 5lbs. I need to get another scale.

It's the same one as in these these two videos.
Top speed is 161 (avg'd upwind/downwind)

Las Vegas 2012 Habu 32 demo (4 min 30 sec)


Ali Demos our 160 mph Habu 32 (4 min 18 sec)
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:42 PM
Mile High EDF
420flyboy's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
959 Posts
Maybe tomorrow morning the wind will be down and the 10s Jetfan with go airborne .

Going jetfan 80 with het 1680kv and castle 120hv
5sx2 4000mah

I'll warm up with 8s 5000mah 45c , I'll try to get video , hopefully it's fast
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:54 PM
Registered User
nippaero's Avatar
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
689 Posts
Hopefully the weather down in CO is good. It's been way to cold up in ID. I hope it warms up soon. I've been waiting to maiden my Habu.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:57 PM
Mile High EDF
420flyboy's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Hopefully the weather down in CO is good. It's been way to cold up in ID. I hope it warms up soon. I've been waiting to maiden my Habu.
It was 60 today , 50's tomorrow

Maidened my L-59 today went great till landing , tore a retract out .
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:31 AM
Registered User
pollster's Avatar
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420flyboy View Post
Maybe tomorrow morning the wind will be down and the 10s Jetfan with go airborne .

Going jetfan 80 with het 1680kv and castle 120hv
5sx2 4000mah

I'll warm up with 8s 5000mah 45c , I'll try to get video , hopefully it's fast
Hello 420
I have two habus one with the jetfan 80 het 1680kv and castle 120hv 5sx2 4000mah, and my other has the same setup apart from the fan unit which is the mach alloy 80. And mach alloy version is faster,and runs cooler. All said both are good setups apart from duration but we have to expect that with high powered edf model setups.
pollster is offline Find More Posts by pollster
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:52 AM
Mile High EDF
420flyboy's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster View Post
Hello 420
I have two habus one with the jetfan 80 het 1680kv and castle 120hv 5sx2 4000mah, and my other has the same setup apart from the fan unit which is the mach alloy 80. And mach alloy version is faster,and runs cooler. All said both are good setups apart from duration but we have to expect that with high powered edf model setups.
Of course this is speculation , I don't believe anyone knows if the Mach or jetfan is better or runs cooler. I would expect similar results , given the same number of blades , same motor and jet. Jetfan is 1/3 the price ,if it goes 5mph slower I'll take it.

It's also winter here in Colorado , so I'm sure it will run cool. Which brings up another point... I'm at 5300 feet elevation and we lose power up here , fact.

I'd like to see video of your jetfan and Mach , same setup in flight , to see and hear the difference .

I just can't justify spending more to go just a fast for less...
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:38 PM
Registered User
STEVEAIR2's Avatar
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
865 Posts
Just weighed Habu No 2
Stock Set up no Retracts with 6S 5000 6LB 14 OZ with 6S 4000 6LB 7OZ.

Which battery would you go with for the first flight ?
I will be taking off grass( when the weather improves)

Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Jetnfast's Avatar
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
Just weighed Habu No 2
Stock Set up no Retracts with 6S 5000 6LB 14 OZ with 6S 4000 6LB 7OZ.

Which battery would you go with for the first flight ?
I will be taking off grass( when the weather improves)

Cheers
Steve.
Use the lighter 4000mah pack first especially off grass. If it does well, then go with the 5000 mah pack. My 2 Cents.
Jetnfast is online now Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:05 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
jgalexander's Avatar
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,028 Posts
I agree with the Jet. As long as they are both quality batteries the power output should be similar between the two, so go with the lighter setup. Should give better maneuverability and climb ability, in addition to the better grass performance.
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:37 PM
Registered User
Jetnfast's Avatar
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,259 Posts
For those of you who own Tam struts, can you help me figure out the correct way to attach the axle/wheel to the strut? Either use the stock wheel collar to secure everything on one end and on the other end of the axle use the eclip...or....should the eclip be the sole way to hold on the wheel axle with the set screws on the end of the strut holding the axle? Here is how I currently have it setup, I think its correct...
Jetnfast is online now Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Last edited by Jetnfast; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:36 PM
Registered User
DamonH's Avatar
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
For those of you who own Tam struts, can you help me figure out the correct way to attach the axle/wheel to the strut? Either use the stock wheel collar to secure everything on one end and on the other end of the axle use the eclip...or....should the eclip be the sole way to hold on the wheel axle with the set screws on the end of the strut holding the axle? Here is how I currently have it setup, I think its correct...
I have mine installed the other way. I looked through a few of the pics in the thread and every one I saw was the other way as well.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:37 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Michael Paxton's Avatar
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
I'm using c-clip on wheel side and grub screws to hold axle on.
Michael Paxton is online now Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:50 PM
3DHOG
jcdfrd's Avatar
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
yep thats how I did mine
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:48 AM
Registered User
STEVEAIR2's Avatar
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
865 Posts
Thanks Guys
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is online now Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:40 PM
Registered User
Jetnfast's Avatar
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,259 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I saw this thread from Tam that has pics after doing a search:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...308466&page=48

It appears to have a wheel collar on the outer end, but I am guessing this was an earlier variant of how to attach the wheel to the axle and strut before he started using an eclip on the outer end like most of you guys seem to be doing? For now it seems the method I have pictured above is secure, so I might try it out.

I also feel like I should file a flat on the nose gear strut pin in the three places the grub screw meets the strut pin since even with the 3 grub screws it still wants to turn...I am guessing this goes without saying others did the same? There is no way I see it staying secure without doing that...
Jetnfast is online now Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fiberglass Habu Airframe Calvin_220 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 92 Nov 10, 2012 03:53 AM
Sold New in box Habu EDF PNP flyboy1945 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Aug 01, 2010 09:24 PM
Discussion ESC very HOT - Sorry the discussion is moved to the Habu thread SalamSyed Foamy EDFs 0 Mar 21, 2010 12:15 AM
New Product New Fiberglass EDF Jets!!! Starfire + EDF Trainer nitroplanes Nitro Planes 0 Jan 24, 2009 10:58 AM
Discussion Baja SS Speculation and hopup thread. DaveESPI Large Scale Cars 3 Feb 03, 2008 08:39 PM