Thought I just said that John
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
Thanks for the replys guys. I have the tam struts and eflight retracts so all I was wanting to do was use the wheels/brakes from the Sapac Viper Jet Sz180/Br180 kits I already have on hand. I was just a little concerned whether or not they were sturdy enough for the bu. The Sapac axle is a little small and would need a sleeve put on the axle to fit tight in the tams struts.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,440 Posts
Thought I just said that Damon. You may have read it before I added the comment about the bushings.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
We carry the SAPAC Viper struts. They are a great product and will be offering them (along with the new electric retracts and brakes)for our new full composite F-20 as well.

Buuuut...
The SAPAC struts are for a 5lb MAX aircraft. (70mm) and not adequate for the 7-8lb Habu 32.
You might be able to bet a proper bushing size to replace the bearing in the SAPAC rims. You could possibly drill out one the bushings from these wheels, or get a bronze bearing from McMaster Carr
I'll look into it.
Tamjets has a Wheel/Brake kit for the Habu 32.
Yes, I am patiently waiting on your Sapac Viper e-retracts.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,440 Posts
You and me both!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
Quote:
Thought I just said that Damon. You may have read it before I added the comment about the bushings.
Lol...I did read it before you added that comment. So, do you feel that just the Sapac wheels/brakes (not struts) are rugged enough?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,440 Posts
It's the struts that won't take the Habu32 weight the rubber wheels and Alum rims are pretty rugged. As your know there are two ball bearings that need to be replaced to accomodate Tams axle's.
I sold all the Tam's struts I had, and don't have one here at the moment. I believe Tam is using oilite bushings in the Wheels and that the plastic ones that come with the the wheels from the MFG need to drilled out a bit.
Do you have a mic, or calipers? What's the diameter of Tams axle? (x.xxx")
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
Quote:
It's the struts that won't take the Habu32 weight the rubber wheels and Alum rims are pretty rugged. As your know there are two ball bearings that need to be replaced to accomodate Tams axle's.
I sold all the Tam's struts I had, and don't have one here at the moment. I believe Tam is using oilite bushings in the Wheels and that the plastic ones that come with the the wheels from the MFG need to drilled out a bit.
Do you have a mic, or calipers? What's the diameter of Tams axle? (x.xxx")
The diameter of tams axle is .155" (3.95mm). If I can figure out a way to make them work I will have to order another Sz180 for my viper jet. I see you have them on sale too.... This would be a good alternative for the habu as I like they way the wheels look and they fit very well in the wheel well.
Last edited by DamonH; Dec 23, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:30 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
Thought I just said that John
Gary
look at the post time
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
674 Posts
Good report about the temps when running in the tail cone, thanks for sharing. I guess it mostly depends on the installation? Mixed reviews with this one. I'll report my temps when I get to run it on 7S in the near future. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Well back from my first flight with the ICE lite 100 in the tail cone....

Overall, the castle data logs showed 128F for the max temp with the ICE lite which is considerably lower than the 165-185F average I was seeing with the ICE 100 regular version when I looked at past logs. I will caveat with the fact I never removed the heatsink on the ICE regular version and the positioning of the ESC wasnt exactly dead center in between the ducts, but as close to it as possible. I didnt want to remove thhe heatsink on the regular version like most have suggested here, so I went with the closest to the duct as possible, still very close to the gap.

Bottomline, it seems that everyones results will vary, and alot of other factors probably play a role in the controller temps during flight. One of which was OAT today, near 38F and quite cold. I could have seen closer to the ICE regular temps of 165F if I was flying in warmer weather. So bottomline, I need to wait until things warm up and keep gathering data points, but for now it flies nicely in the tail cone and the CG is much better as well, and now I am ready for 7s on the stock setup!

We may have temps closer to 50F tommorow which is more like standard day conditions...running in 85-95F heat will be the true test!
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
Good report about the temps when running in the tail cone, thanks for sharing. I guess it mostly depends on the installation? Mixed reviews with this one. I'll report my temps when I get to run it on 7S in the near future. Thx.
Yeah I am thinking about ordering a 7s pack in next few days, all seems to be good with the tailcone setup on another 2 flights. I still need to download the log data to check temps, but figured they are nice and cool. Here is the pack I am looking at, it's heavy though! But without the tailcone esc placement it would be way too nose heavy!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-65c-4400-7s1p-7777.html
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
871 Posts
Well I finally have all the "stuff" I need to start my Habu build. But I'd like a few opinions on my equipment placement. First off, I have one of Gary's all-metal Mach fans (what a beauty!)and his recommended HET motor for 10S. I mostly fly from a thick grass field, so the extra power boost will be welcomed. The batteries will be SkyLipo 5S, 40C, 4000mAh and the ESC is a 120A ZTW. Now the ESC will fit in the stock location under the battery tray, and the batteries will also fit stacked. To me, this will also place a fair amount of battery weight kinda high up producing a pendulem effect. I'm also concerned with this ESC and battery combo up front is that the Bu will be fairly nose heavy. So what I was thinking, was to cut an opening in the hatch on the bottom of the fuse and install the ESC to the underside of it. Benefits that I can see is this will move a large hunk of weight aft and the ESC's cooling fins will be in airflow outside the model. The ESC will nicely fit without any interference to the fiberglass duct or fan shroud. Another benefit is that I can remove the mounts for the battery tray and place the batteries lower in the model keeping their weight more in line with the thrust line. The only downside I can see, is the ESC's cooling fins sticking outside the fuselage. Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imodel View Post
Well I finally have all the "stuff" I need to start my Habu build. But I'd like a few opinions on my equipment placement. First off, I have one of Gary's all-metal Mach fans (what a beauty!)and his recommended HET motor for 10S. I mostly fly from a thick grass field, so the extra power boost will be welcomed. The batteries will be SkyLipo 5S, 40C, 4000mAh and the ESC is a 120A ZTW. Now the ESC will fit in the stock location under the battery tray, and the batteries will also fit stacked. To me, this will also place a fair amount of battery weight kinda high up producing a pendulem effect. I'm also concerned with this ESC and battery combo up front is that the Bu will be fairly nose heavy. So what I was thinking, was to cut an opening in the hatch on the bottom of the fuse and install the ESC to the underside of it. Benefits that I can see is this will move a large hunk of weight aft and the ESC's cooling fins will be in airflow outside the model. The ESC will nicely fit without any interference to the fiberglass duct or fan shroud. Another benefit is that I can remove the mounts for the battery tray and place the batteries lower in the model keeping their weight more in line with the thrust line. The only downside I can see, is the ESC's cooling fins sticking outside the fuselage. Any thoughts guys? Thanks!

R
Have you considered placing the ESC in the tailcone? That would solve your CG issues and provide a nice place to provide ample cooling without cutting holes in the fuse. I have discussed this in some of my recent posts and their are plenty more on the subject if you do a search in the thread. tam sells a CF tailcone for both 28mm and 36mm motors depending on which HET motor you plan on running.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
871 Posts
Jet,

That was my first thought (it's what I've done with my other jets), but this ESC is on the large side and will not fit in a tail cone or the thrust tube for that matter. One thing I'll probably need to do is add some caps to drop the ripple being the ESC is not right with the batteries. Nice thing is that if I don't like the cooling fins hanging out in the breeze, I can always move it up front and replace the hatch with a new one. Personally, when it's moving at over 130mph, you're not going to see the fins on the bottom of the fuselage.

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel