HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
Questions

On the E-flite 80-Amp Pro Switch-Mode V2 ESC is the "slide switch" disabled when running a seperate BEC?

Also does anyone know the PWM setting (8/16/32khz) for an HET 700-60-2085KV running at 6S?
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
On the E-flite 80-Amp Pro Switch-Mode V2 ESC is the "slide switch" disabled when running a seperate BEC?

I have the same ESC and I disabled my slide switch by cutting it out of the harness and then insulating the ends. It is a fail on type.
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
so its a 6s stumax setup? how much did she weigh? auw
Hi John
it was 8.5 LB with the 6S 5000.
Thanks
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,927 Posts
Wow, mine with the same set-up is just under 8 pounds !! i'll double check but that is with all gear doors and HS 5085s all round and CC ICE 120HV.

J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
ya that does seem a bit heavy, our 12s setups were at 8lbs 2oz and our fastest one was 7lbs 14oz so find the excess weight and remove it lol!.......I'am not to familiar with the stu fans but if J can do it at 8lbs well then you are a bit heavy. 8lbs should be your upper limit on auw and really only being 6s it should be around 7-7.5lbs so 8lbs for 6s is too heavy 8.5lbs is too heavy for even a 12s setup. maybe a detailed parts list would shed some light
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
818 Posts
Quote:
ya that does seem a bit heavy, our 12s setups were at 8lbs 2oz and our fastest one was 7lbs 14oz so find the excess weight and remove it lol!.......I'am not to familiar with the stu fans but if J can do it at 8lbs well then you are a bit heavy. 8lbs should be your upper limit on auw and really only being 6s it should be around 7-7.5lbs so 8lbs for 6s is too heavy 8.5lbs is too heavy for even a 12s setup. maybe a detailed parts list would shed some light
Thanks John
I might just take you up on that. I might even do the build while weighing everything before it goes in. It will be a bit like building on a diet. Post what's going in and get the thumbs up. I found the last one to be tail heavy so I might ask where to place things. Although I did find the manual very good in that regard.
Cheers
Steve
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
94 Posts
Glad to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
Just scored one ! Thanks !
I have been looking for an ESC for my Habu and came across this discount. Just wanted to pass on to any others getting ready for a build. Todd
Tealc is online now Find More Posts by Tealc
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:33 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Maiden Flight

Had my maiden flight on my 10s Jetfan 80 Habu 32 today. I had a head mount on my Go Pro 2 and didn't quite get the angle right so you can't see the roll out or the exact touchdown...oh well. I'm flying it with a HET 700-68-1500kv motor on 4000mh GensAce packs (6s and a 4s). 11s this weekend. Anyway here is video.

Habu 32 10s Jetfan 80 (2 min 53 sec)
swps is offline Find More Posts by swps
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:54 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,555 Posts
Wish I could have come.... Looks very nice though.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:15 PM
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Wish I could have come.... Looks very nice though.
You know, an inch to the left and you'd be a much happier man with your Habu 32 right now!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
texas
Joined May 2005
105 Posts
First Flight on habu 32 today ... John your tips really helped out !!..

Quote:
well I have flown probably more than 15 diff Habu32's and have hundreds of flights on them never once did I experience a tip stall that I wasnt expecting......in other words on flare just before touchdown and even that was very rare. I think the main cause of some of the issues is improper setup of the model, mainly cg (too nose heavy), elevator throw (too much) and then pilot error. weight plays a roll but most guys build this within 7-8lbs and that is fine so this is probably not the problem. I see it as a too much elev throw issue and it goes like this.....stock cg is a little nose heavy and thus more elev throw is required. the stock 6s setup per the manual works pretty good, but if you move the cg back for better performance then you also need to reduce your elev throws and this is where the problem happens I think most do nothing and just fly, some will add expo to soften the stick but this creates a knee that if in flight you pull too much elev it will snap at any speed. I think this accounts for the high speed snap or tip stall issues most are seeing, for the true tip stall on landing approach this is just a matter of the pilot getting the model too slow or too high aoa or both. setup of the models trim when dirty is the key or the problem. when setup correctly with gear and flaps deployed the model should be trimed for a slight decent angle so that the pilot is required to hold a little elev to fly level, the entire landing sequence should be in a slight decent the whole way thru with the nose down all the way to the runway then bring up the nose and ride the flare to touch down.
getting the cg and max throw of the elev right is critical to minimizing these issues. one more thing adding crow also helps with tip stall by mechanically adding washout to the wing. this lowers the airspeed at which the wingtip stops flying (tipstall) so very beneficial
so this is my take on why some tipstall and some dont
this model is very popular and very proven so for this one to me it comes down to setup of the model and in particular the cg and max elev throw.
John
so only got one quick first flight in before getting dark...

from above comments , sounds like best to have minimum elev throw for a given CG ...

so what sort of process is normally done to find the min elev throw for given CG ?

new to the H32 and not had to look at CG in such detail on other planes ...

thanks
rcfun2005 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun2005
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps View Post
Had my maiden flight on my 10s Jetfan 80 Habu 32 today. I had a head mount on my Go Pro 2 and didn't quite get the angle right so you can't see the roll out or the exact touchdown...oh well. I'm flying it with a HET 700-68-1500kv motor on 4000mh GensAce packs (6s and a 4s). 11s this weekend. Anyway here is video.
whooosh!! That baby hums along nicely, great vid!
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
texas
Joined May 2005
105 Posts
First flight on new stock h32.... Stock motor and fan...

I could feel a lot of vibration when test run on ground ,but it would vary by rpm...

Would this be a bad fan ?. Or bad motor ?

Motor and fan stock out of box and just installed on plane...

Hind site... Should have done bench testing before mounted in plane.

Tks
rcfun2005 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun2005
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfun2005 View Post

I could feel a lot of vibration when test run on ground ,but it would vary by rpm...

Tks
The fan/motor assy probably needs balanced.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfun2005 View Post

Tks
Fan definitely needs to be static balanced and then use the clock method to find the smoothest position on the motor. I feel for you cause I hate to take a fan out with the small hatch and it always takes me a bit to get the trust tube on. Good Luck!