HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:25 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
94 Posts
Glad I could help. Now I just need to get my own Habu 32 built.
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2008
358 Posts
Lost my Habu today ... just after take off when turning onto the downwind side of the pattern. The plane just started rolling uncontrollably ... it was quite a ways out but I would guess an accellerated tip stall ... I almost had it stabalized before it hit, but as soon as I tried to pull the nose up, it snapped again and I did not have enough altitude to recover. Fuse, LiPo, receiver, nose retract and steering servo are toast. Everything else including the ESC, fan, wings & stabs seem to be okay. The worst part of this is that I don't fully understand what happened. I was on low rates, and I did not yank the plane around the corner particularly hard. One aspect for sure was low sun angle behind the plane ... hard to tell orientation, which made my recovery attempts slower.

Greg
gsm026 is offline Find More Posts by gsm026
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
I've have one of these on the way and am starting to wonder if there is a tip stall issue with this plane. It seems like there has been quite a few people losing theirs lately and claiming it was a tip stall. Is this a big issue on this plane?
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:01 PM
texas
Joined May 2005
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm026 View Post
Lost my Habu today ...

Greg
sorry to hear about your plane ..

so did you have many flights with the habu 32 ?

seems like quite a few post about possible "tip stalls"

almost have mine put together for first flight soon.

good luck on the repairs !
rcfun2005 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun2005
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:06 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
I've have one of these on the way and am starting to wonder if there is a tip stall issue with this plane. It seems like there has been quite a few people losing theirs lately and claiming it was a tip stall. Is this a big issue on this plane?
No it's not.
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero View Post
No it's not.
I will second that!
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:18 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
I will second that!

The best advice for this and other "issues" is to keep your attention 100% on the plane and "think" about what is plane is about to do given your inputs to the TX. I see many folks plow stuff in simply because they fly and hope things go well when they can't see the plane or have the throttle up and try to make corrections without knowing the orientation or situation.....
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,962 Posts
So would anyone care to share their thoughts on the cause of the loses that claim to be tip stalls. I've even recently talked to someone who has owned at least three of these and he says they have terrible tip stall tendancies and even modded the wings on one of his to alleviate the issue. Just trying to get a sense of any possible issues before building/flying mine. Thanks.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Last edited by DamonH; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined May 2008
358 Posts
Damon and rcfun,

I did not have a lot of flights on the Habu 32 ... I think this was # 14. I was getting to feel quite comfortable wtih it, however. To be honest, I am not positive that this was a tip stall situation; I just don't know what else could explain it. I do not believe there was a radio issue or anything like that. This was essentially a climbing turn at fairly high speed (I was still climbing out at full throttle). I must have just pulled it around too hard given the positive AOA. The wierd thing is that every time I would start to get the roll axis stabalized and try even a little bit of elevator, it would snap out again. Not sure that it was recoverable given the low altitude at which it occurred. This is not a behavior that I had seen before with the Habu 32 or with my F-4. I've had planes that were touchy on tip stalls before, but I've never seen it happen that violently.

Greg
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,324 Posts
Quote:
So would anyone care to share their thoughts on the cause of the loses that claim to be tip stalls. I've even recently talked to someone who has owned at least three of these and he says they have terrible tip stall tendancies and even modded the wings on one of his to alleviate the issue. Just trying to get a sense of any possible issues before builing/flying mine. Thanks.

Every plane scale or model has particular characteristics and "tenedancies." These attributes contribute to the cause and effect of the flight envelope. If the model is constructed correctly and flown within its envelope there should be no issues.
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2008
358 Posts
JCD and Jimmy, I would have agreed with you until today. Although I'm relatively new to this forum and only had 14 flights on the Habu, I have a lot of experience and fly a wide variety of planes from WWII warbirds to IMAC and 3D. I did not just loose orientation. It is true that the plane was somewhat backlit (taking off to the south about 9:30 AM), but something caused the plane to suddenly snap out of the turn. I'm sure that the distance and sun angle slowed my corrections down because it took me longer to determine the orientation, but I knew the orientation the last 50 feet of altitude and I still could not pull it out.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
94 Posts
Just wondering...were all the control surfaces, control links, and servos in working order after the crash? What was the Tx and Rx? Where you running a separate BEC or flight battery or powering electronics through a built in BEC in the ESC?
Tealc is offline Find More Posts by Tealc
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
I'm not saying that this is what happened as I wasn't there but I have had this on one of my planes in the past. This behavior could be consistent with control failure on one of the stabs (linkage, servo or something else). If you were getting roll when pulling on the elevator (as you seem to state) you could be pulling on one but not on the other. Anyway, just a guess.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined May 2008
358 Posts
Tealc,

JR 11X and AR8000 receiver. Using (risky, I know) bulit in BEC in the ESC. Receiver case was broken in the crash. Battery was ejected. Not sure if the receiver electronics might still function. The linkages to both elevators were fine and both had moved correctly when exercised pre-flight. I did not check for stripped servo gears, bad servos or bad extensions yet.

bdelapen,

I lost one of the elevator servos on a 50cc Chip Hyde Vision several years ago ... it did not produce this sudden of a roll and I got the plane down okay (very different plane, though, and it was right in front of me when it happened). An interesting idea, though. I will try to re-assemble the radio system and test out the elevators.

Greg
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:58 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,491 Posts
Quote:
So would anyone care to share their thoughts on the cause of the loses that claim to be tip stalls. I've even recently talked to someone who has owned at least three of these and he says they have terrible tip stall tendancies and even modded the wings on one of his to alleviate the issue. Just trying to get a sense of any possible issues before builing/flying mine. Thanks.
Pilot error accounts for most losses. I have only lost one plane due to equipment malfunction but I have lost planes due to pilot error.
Any plane will tip stall if too slow or or wrong angle of attack - if you get into that situation however, it is still pilot error causing it.
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero