HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:14 AM
Formerly "Heli Copter"
United States, CA, Watsonville
Joined Apr 2009
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I had my first full speed taxi runs on a paved runway. No take-off.... the Habu squirreled like crazy. I have steering on a seperate channel and reduced throws to minimum mechanically and I have the Cg at 112 mm from the LE.

Tracking seems much easier off grass !
Try some Toe-in on the main gear. My EDF's are all over the place without toe-in.
You'll probably find that you currently have some toe-out which will make it go all over.
Jetsom is offline Find More Posts by Jetsom
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:40 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Tks again. Would you be willing to show me a picture of what you meant by a servo extension with the red wired removed and connected to the ESC lead? I just wanna make sure I do this correctly! Tks again and sorry for all the stupid questions

Kevin
Here you go, notice the cut is not on the ESC lead but instead on a short "lead saver" extension. There is no power flowing through this so you can use small gauge or thick gauge wire, it doesn't matter, my short extensions happen to be thin.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
392 Posts
Quote:
I had my first full speed taxi runs on a paved runway. No take-off.... the Habu squirreled like crazy. I have steering on a seperate channel and reduced throws to minimum mechanically and I have the Cg at 112 mm from the LE.

If you're using the supplied fixed gear, make sure you have the gear legs on the correct sides with the wire struts on the outside facing in. If you get them on the wrong side you will end up with the wheels toed out and the plane won't roll smoothly even on pavement.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2008
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Ok good to know - tks! But you still would go with an external BEC? Is there a kind that I can install without having to cut wires/etc.? Or is an RX battery easier?

Tks again!

Kevin
No need to cut wires. If you don't want to add an extension you can, using a #11 Exacto blade, gently lift the tab on the servo connector and slide the red wire out of the connector. Fold the red wire back and using some electrical tape, tape it to the servo lead to keep it from shorting out. In the future, if you want to use the ESC's internal BEC, simply remove the electrical tape and slide the red wire back into the servo connector.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:19 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
No need to cut wires. If you don't want to add an extension you can, using a #11 Exacto blade, gently lift the tab on the servo connector and slide the red wire out of the connector. Fold the red wire back and using some electrical tape, tape it to the servo lead to keep it from shorting out. In the future, if you want to use the ESC's internal BEC, simply remove the electrical tape and slide the red wire back into the servo connector.
I used to do that until I read in some thread somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that this could potentially loose up to 1/3 of the connectors holding power as you now only two pins instead of 3 (assuming the plug itself in the receiver doesn't provide any or minimal holding power). Now I have no personal experience with plugs coming out but you never know, it could happen.

Anyway, I am just passing it on as a comment someone made, let the reader make a decision as to whether or not they put any weight on the comment or not.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:39 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
739 Posts
Tks Birger, Josh and others - extremely helpful!

So, to use an RX battery, there are essentially two steps:

1) Plug the battery into the battery/bind port of the RX
2) disconnect the internal BEC by removing the red wire on either the ESC itself or the servo extension connecting the ESC to the RX

And, if I use an RX battery, it's safe not to install an external ESC.

Do I finally have all this right?

Kevin
kchen95 is online now Find More Posts by kchen95
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:12 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
Thanks Heli and Wfiield, struts are stock and fitted the right way.... Gear doors are firmly attached. Steering linkages all pretty much slop free. I do have a touch of toe in which I put in to help slow down on landing. The way it rollls, maybe it could do with a little more.

Maybe the main struts have turned a touch. I'll double check.

I could have taken off by lifting the nose a little and using rudder but I was concerned about it spearing off to the side on landing once the rudder started to lose authority
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Last edited by jayb1rdz; Nov 06, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
I used to do that until I read in some thread somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that this could potentially loose up to 1/3 of the connectors holding power as you now only two pins instead of 3 (assuming the plug itself in the receiver doesn't provide any or minimal holding power). Now I have no personal experience with plugs coming out but you never know, it could happen.

Anyway, I am just passing it on as a comment someone made, let the reader make a decision as to whether or not they put any weight on the comment or not.

Regards,

- Birger
Yes, removing a pin may reduce how well the connector stays put. Of course, there are many ways to deal with such issues, including tie wraps, a dab of some easily removed adhesive such as GE Silicone or ZAP Goo, etc. The bottom line, I've had BEC connectors with only 2 pins fit very tight and also some with all 3 pins fit rather loosely. It's up to the modeller to ensure that all their electrical connections are sound and won't come undone in flight.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:59 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,503 Posts
Quote:

Try toe in (as mentioned above).
I hold some elevator to prevent the nose wheel from over-correcting (this happens because the plane is very light on the nose wheel).
Chris
Downwind3Zero is online now Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Main gear toe in is the key.

Quote:

RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:57 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,339 Posts
Im in....
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:20 AM
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
How do you apply toe in? To you bend the struts at wheel level? Do you modify the angle of the slot in the strut where it's tightened?
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:57 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
I have the tam strut upgrade and I just positioned the struts with a slight toe in, marked the position, removed them from the trunnion and then dremeled a flat area for the grub screw on the pin that is inserted into the trunnion at the new position. The reinserted, put the grub screws in and loctited them.

Worked for me....hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
How do you apply toe in? To you bend the struts at wheel level? Do you modify the angle of the slot in the strut where it's tightened?
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:17 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,252 Posts
Also I would consider adding some expo (if its a futaba radio) or dialing in some negative expo (if you run JR, or most others), to help nulify the center position and prevent you from over controlling on the takeoff roll. I also have found that a 1/3 - 1/2 throttle acceleration for about the first 50-100 feet (then go full power for the remaining takeoff) gives the jet time to stabilize and the rudder to become effective and overall help alignment on the takeoff roll.

....on a seperate note. I have been flying my Habu 2-4 times a week and the more I fly it, the more amazed at how excellent this jet really flies. I am running all stock gear on 6s and just grin everytime I fly. The vertical is great, the stability is great, the tracking is on rails, and the landings are predictable. It really is one of the finest EDF jets out there. If I had to give up all my models except for one, this would be it. I know many guys upgrade their Habu's to better power packages and bigger batts (for various reasons of course...runway conditions, high altittude, etc.), but for me I dont think I would change a thing on this one (unless I get experiemental!). Its perfect in every way.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
44 Posts
Habu 32 maiden

Hi again yesterday I maiden my habu i was super scared but everithing went
Good i fly it 2 times and here is the video of the maiden after 5:30 fligth the lipos still have 39%. I land it without any flaps and was to fast to land next time i will try to use flaps. Please watch the video and tell me what you think. Any tips

My set up jet fan 80mm, typhoon 700-60-1738. Ice 100, pro Bec

Habu 32 Maiden (5 min 32 sec)
maxman55 is offline Find More Posts by maxman55