HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--It seems the 28mm Mega 8s motor with Eflight fan would be at least 5oz lighter(which is good) than a 39mm HET 700 series motor in a different fan(several to choose from)

--With 8s 5000 packs, and the Mega 8s motor / Eflight fan, does the Habu balance without adding ballast?

--Ok, enough reduntant questions, I am researching this thread--
The Mega motor set up uses a small motor to fit the E-Flite fan. It's a low cost solution to grass take offs, and quit a bit more speed. It does require the use of throttle management. It's a hotter motor.
If you want to keep you thumb in it all day, choose a setup with a 36mm or 39mm motor. the motors have more mass (weight) and will run cooler.
The 8s 5000mAh packs will CG just fine, Just arrange your components to make the jet CG properly. I don't have added ballast in any of our jets.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:23 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
a friend just got a habu 32 a s part of a deal witha graupner inspiration turbine jet.
has anyone built this plane with the rclander 80mm fan (78mm actually) with success?
thanks in advance.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:37 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
The Mega motor set up uses a small motor to fit the E-Flite fan. If you want to keep you thumb in it all day, choose a setup with a 36mm or 39mm motor.
Hi Gary,
Did you adapt a 36 or 39mm motor to the E-Flite 80mm unit ?

What is the best setup with a 36mm motor, 80mm fan (possibly 90mm) for speed ?

Mix and match manufacturers included ................
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
888 Posts
A larger can motor wont work in the stock Eflite fan unit. You would need to look at a Jetfan 80, Tamjet 80 or Stumax 80 in order to use the larger can motors. There may be more fan options but these are the ones I'm familiar with. I run Efflux's 6s Mega motor setup in my stock fan and it's a nice upgrade over the stock Eflite motor. Be sure to use some thermal compound and a heat sink to keep the motor cool. I even cut some extra sections of heat sink and added them to the motor where the housing gaps are.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Jul 2011
150 Posts
What heat sink are you using? I have the same motor.
Boston Bob is offline Find More Posts by Boston Bob
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:32 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
888 Posts
I'm not sure but it is a blue heat sink and I want to say it is Himaxx. I custom cut it to length for the rear of the can and then used a second heat sink to cut sections to attach to the can where there are gaps in the motor housing.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
A larger can motor wont work in the stock Eflite fan unit. You would need to look at a Jetfan 80, Tamjet 80 or Stumax 80 in order to use the larger can motors. There may be more fan options but these are the ones I'm familiar with. I run Efflux's 6s Mega motor setup in my stock fan and it's a nice upgrade over the stock Eflite motor. Be sure to use some thermal compound and a heat sink to keep the motor cool. I even cut some extra sections of heat sink and added them to the motor where the housing gaps are.
Thanks EE,
I figured that maybe Gary or someone did manage to customize the E-Flite unit ........ it wouldnt be too hard. I just dont know if the plastic could take a 1 pound motor.

Would you happen to know which combination of 80mm fan housings and rotors would be the fastest ?
Same question for the 90mm units ..........

I do understand about choking down the thrust tube, and the varying sizes can increase thrust and decrease eflux, or increase eflux and decrease thrust ................ but is there a clear winner for a killer housing and rotor speed wise ?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
a friend just got a habu 32 a s part of a deal witha graupner inspiration turbine jet.
has anyone built this plane with the rclander 76mm with success?
thanks in advance.
anyone ???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Hi Gary,
Did you adapt a 36 or 39mm motor to the E-Flite 80mm unit ?

What is the best setup with a 36mm motor, 80mm fan (possibly 90mm) for speed ?

Mix and match manufacturers included ................
You can't put a 36mm motor in the E-Flite fan without doing extensive motor housing/ stator mods
The Mach 80mm EDF will accept a 36-39mm dia motor.
http://www.effluxrc.com/All-Alloy-80...A-80-9-40R.htm

fh64lucky has done 159mph with it with the MEGA 16/45/1 (fast pass was 179)
Habu 32 - 159 mph top speed by fh64lucky (2 min 57 sec)

My 8s MEGA 16/40/1.5SEC does 150 mph ( 160 something downwind) the speed run is at the the second half of the video.
Habu 32, 8s MEGA hot laps (11 min 42 sec)

I also have a Habu on 7s with a Schubeler DS-44 (85mm EDF) that does 150 flat and level upwind downwind.
Habu - Shubie on 7s (7 min 54 sec)

I have a new MEGA 22-45-1.5RE (1650kv) to test. 9s would make a nice flyer. 10+s would be for top speed racing only. a custom unit with 100k bearings would be great spinning it over 60K (in the alloy fan, chances are no other 80mm rotor will take those revs)
I beleive there's a longer version as well.

EDF speeds are always measured as the average of an upwind and downwind pas, flown flat and level past the camera (for dopplering) or radar gun.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,461 Posts
There is also the option of Extreme CNC Alloy 80mm fan unit with either Wemotec Midifan PRO rotor set (factory cut down and balanced) or with JETFAN80 9 blade rotor set.

The EXTREME Alloy Wemo has been run on 8s in the Habu, measured in the airframe at 2800w and 3.75kg thrust, level flight over 150mph with turnigy packs.

Habu 32 8s with Extreme Rc 2800w (2 min 9 sec)
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:02 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I have a new MEGA 22-45-1.5RE (1650kv) to test. 9s would make a nice flyer. 10+s would be for top speed racing only. a custom unit with 100k bearings would be great spinning it over 60K (in the alloy fan, chances are no other 80mm rotor will take those revs)
I beleive there's a longer version as well.
Which rotor ?
Youre talking the Mach alloy fan ?
The Extreme CNC fan ?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
The Mach 80mm EDF.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,461 Posts
Dont forget RPM is only a small part of the whole setup, a rotor with low loading is going to need to spin very fast to make thrust. End of the day watts/amps in vs thrust/speed out is whats important. It would be preferable to see systems quoted with amps/watts as well as basic specs and speed.

Weight would also be something good to know I guess, my 8s Wemo Alloy setup is 420 grams complete with HET 700 series motor, this will be cut back around 20 grams or so as I am now shortening the front section of the fan housing to aid with installation, with the new collet design of the JETFAN rotors my housings dont need to be as long in the front to accomodate them, can cut them back 10mm easily.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
This was with the 1680 kv motor on 8s, 5000's and 9s, 4000's.

The new 650-58-1760 should be somewhere in the middle with 8s, 5000's. Haven't run that motor yet.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:40 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
For those of you running a gear door sequencer, whose do you recommend?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest radio lineup