HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
Where can I buy a heat sink for the stock motor? Also I will need some heat conducting compound? I have some that I use on my computer builds for the CPU.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedclutch View Post
Where can I buy a heat sink for the stock motor? Also I will need some heat conducting compound? I have some that I use on my computer builds for the CPU.
We have them.
http://www.effluxrc.com/28mm-Heat-Si...ned-2836HS.htm

As well as the Thermal compound for those who need it.
http://www.effluxrc.com/Heat-Sink-Compound-TC001.htm
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
As I mentioned, it's no problem to make a spindle from drill rod to be accepted by the magnetic balancer.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Hi Gary !
Thank You for this great set of posts.
How many RPM's do you think one might be able to get from a balanced (like you laid out) STOCK E-Flite 80mm EDF ?

I am thinking of running 12 cells and would really want to hear your good and best guesses or failure points please !!
Mopar,

I have not destructive tested the E-Flite rotor.
We are running it at 51282 rpms with our 8s MEGA motor setup.
I'm sure it will take more, but if you test it at higher levels. please take all the precautions (polycarbonate shield, front sides and back, safety glasses, run it at a distance with your Tx.) Collect your data with a logger ( and a video camera if measuring thrust with a scale)

I'm aware that you know your motors from your pusher prop projects.
The setup for 12s would be from 1150kv and up.
Not sure if your seeking more speed, or less amp draw. But there's a starting point for ya.
The new 16/45 motors might be what you need. PM me for more info.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:32 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
Sweet.. Heat sink's on the way.

BTW.. I reeled one of the guys at the field in. I've been taking the Habu 32 flying with me lately. The jet brings more questions than the 100cc gasser. Anyway. We now have two Habus flying. haha
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:24 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Mopar,

I have not destructive tested the E-Flite rotor.
We are running it at 51282 rpms with our 8s MEGA motor setup.
I'm sure it will take more, but if you test it at higher levels. please take all the precautions (polycarbonate shield, front sides and back, safety glasses, run it at a distance with your Tx.) Collect your data with a logger ( and a video camera if measuring thrust with a scale)

I'm aware that you know your motors from your pusher prop projects.
The setup for 12s would be from 1150kv and up.
Not sure if your seeking more speed, or less amp draw. But there's a starting point for ya.
The new 16/45 motors might be what you need. PM me for more info.
Looks more like 11 cells than 12, but I will find out for sure.
51k at 2300 watts ................ thats nothing to sneeze at !!
I have a 16-45-F5Dce ready for a couple of slots for the rotor, and will do the balancing as you have described.
Planning on all in flight testing at this point, with not too many ground tests. I will be in another location during these tests, way out of harms way. Learned my lesson with an ARC on 5 cells and a 5.5x4.5 prop .......... end caps blew out and so did the whole prop/rotor/shield assy. I would have never found it if it blew apart outside, but thankfully, it was way below freezing, so testing was done inside, good thing I was out of the room ............. anyway - Thank You for the info and I will be carefull during any testing !

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7234
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Sep 13, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:20 AM
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Keep in mind that just a balanced rotor does not make a balanced fan.
The entire EDF assy must be dynamically balanced as a unit. Our equipment is less costly, but the fans that leave here, run like silk from 100 mm down to the little 50 mm guys
That's one thing I don't understand: static balancing a rotor is very easy. How can a static balanced rotor be sold much more expensive than the stock one?

As you said, it also depends how the shaft adapter is mounted on the shaft (torque between set screws), motor balance, shaft trueness...
whisperdancer is online now Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Last edited by whisperdancer; Sep 14, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman View Post
Here is another way to do it if you can work your way around a smart phone and excel. I have had great success using this method.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267814

A well balanced edf assembly will give you mor efficiency along with all the other benefits. I get flight time improvements that are impressive by using this method.
That method has a great flaw: manual spool up gives unconsistent vibrations between runs. Better thing is to use the slow spool up (heli) on the runs, so the results are consistent.
whisperdancer is online now Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:06 PM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
That method has a great flaw: manual spool up gives unconsistent vibrations between runs. Better thing is to use the slow spool up (heli) on the runs, so the results are consistent.
Agreed, I use the slow start or set the channel speed with my JR 9503. I use 4 seconds from idle to full and back down to idle.
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Just got back from flying, almost lost my Habu! I flew around sunset and notice LOTS of bird activity, like huge flocks! I noticed they came in waves on and off, but decided to fly anyways. About halfway through the flight I was doing a WOT pass with an agressive climbing pull and out of the corner of my eye I saw another one of those huge flocks! They obviously saw me too since the flock broke up as I flew through it. Miraculously no damage whatsoever, but I immediately landed as a precaution. Bottomline, in some area of the country the fall migrations have started, so WATCH OUT FOR BIRDS!!

On another note, one of my main retracts has a slight bit of play in it when its down and locked. I dont think it has caused much of an issue since I installed them new, but the last two flights, when I make a turn around on the runway, the gear partially collapses (nose, and both mains). Its almost like the endpoints need to be adjusted with the play in the retracts? I am not sure...anyone else experience something similar? The end result is that I have to walk down and get the jet since its sitting on partially collapsed gear. My landings are smooth and its fine until I decided to turn around and taxi back, always at a slow speed. odd? They are Eflite by the way....
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
Just got back from flying, almost lost my Habu! I flew around sunset and notice LOTS of bird activity, like huge flocks! I noticed they came in waves on and off, but decided to fly anyways. About halfway through the flight I was doing a WOT pass with an agressive climbing pull and out of the corner of my eye I saw another one of those huge flocks! They obviously saw me too since the flock broke up as I flew through it. Miraculously no damage whatsoever, but I immediately landed as a precaution. Bottomline, in some area of the country the fall migrations have started, so WATCH OUT FOR BIRDS!!

On another note, one of my main retracts has a slight bit of play in it when its down and locked. I dont think it has caused much of an issue since I installed them new, but the last two flights, when I make a turn around on the runway, the gear partially collapses (nose, and both mains). Its almost like the endpoints need to be adjusted with the play in the retracts? I am not sure...anyone else experience something similar? The end result is that I have to walk down and get the jet since its sitting on partially collapsed gear. My landings are smooth and its fine until I decided to turn around and taxi back, always at a slow speed. odd? They are Eflite by the way....

Shame you didn't have a camera on, it would have been interesting to see the bird sortie moment

On the retracts, I had a problem with my front one which may be similar. They work by turning a threaded rod, and this in turn moves a D piece up and down the rod to actuate the trunion. The D piece is plastic but has a brass threaded centre collar. My collar had come loose in the plastic piece (from a hard landing - I admit), and got a similar issue where sometimes it would not come down, sometimes not go up, and also feel sloppy. Until one day it went for good. Unfortunately E-Flite do not sell the D piece as a spare (they should do it in packs of 5) and so then I had to through away the whole retract and buy a whole new unit
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
44 Posts
Could someone take a pic of the jet fan inside the habu 32 i dont want to mess this.

thanks
maxman55 is offline Find More Posts by maxman55
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,293 Posts
--After numerous flights on my Habu, I noticed the output shaft bearing housing is wobbled out most likely due to OEM unbalanced fan.

--My next eflight fan I will probably send to efflux or tamjets to get balanced so it will not ruin the motor
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
The MEGA 8s motor's
http://www.effluxrc.com/Habu-32-8s-h...6-40-15SEC.htm
were delayed in US customs for weeks
We finally received them (as well as other MEGA motors)
Special orders and assembled fans will be going out this week.
Thanks for your patience guys.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forse View Post
--After numerous flights on my Habu, I noticed the output shaft bearing housing is wobbled out most likely due to OEM unbalanced fan.

--My next eflight fan I will probably send to efflux or tamjets to get balanced so it will not ruin the motor
I'm out of E-Flite motors at the moment, but you can send me your NIB EDF and NIB motor, and I will assemble and balance the entire unit. (not just the rotor)
http://www.effluxrc.com/Assemble-and...ance-ASBAL.htm

We do have the E-Flite EDF in stock if you need one.
http://www.effluxrc.com/E-flite-Delt...DF-EFLDF32.htm

The 8s MEGA motor in the E-Flite fan, requires throttle management, but will push your Habu to 145-150 for some high speed passes or killer vertical. (6.9 lbs thrust on the bench)
It's also great for grass take offs, where the stock set up won't cut it.
Site Sponsor