SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
682 Posts
Gary

Is the Mach alloy setup for 8 or 9S? How much flight time are you getting on 8S?
nippaero is online now Find More Posts by nippaero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
nippaero,

The 1680 KV motor is a bit low of a kv for the 80mm fan. But it was the only HET motor I had when we received the first mach 80mm units. I decided to test an fly it on 9s. (it's flown on 10s with that motor, but only once and we didn't get a speed on it or film it yet)
The flight time on 9s was approx 5 minutes with (one, 4s and one 5s) 45c, 5000mAh Sky Lipos

The HET 700-68-2100 is a hotter, but still fairly mild (8s, 5000's) motor for this fan. The HET 700-68-2250 should be the 8s should be the ticket to about 150 flat and level.
We have not tested the last 2 motors in the fan yet.

We also have some 22 series Mega motors on the way.

These are the numbers with the 1680 kv motor on 8s. I'd really suggest 9s for this motor.
watts: 2978
amps: 95
RPM: 46402
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Jul 20, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Musta not come from us then.
Run it hard on the bench first to be sure it doesn't shut down on you.
Good luck tomorrow. I might try to get down there on Sat.
Roger that and thanks!

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:53 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
Hi Geoff
It was great to meet you and Jason to see your jet flying tonight. When it gets off its a great flyer.
Thanks guys
cheers
Steve.
Good to meet you also and I hope we see your Habu out flying this weekend too!

btw, here's a picture of where I have my batteries mounted to get the CG at 115mm. I think having the small pack at the front previously was just too much forward weight to rotate from a grass strip (when combined with tight wheels)

I have to say the telemetry is a real weight off my mind when flying. It's good to know you just fly around until the TX tells you when to land.
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Nov 2003
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post

I just started my build.
I like your building style/ method; just take out all the components out of the boxes , put them in the fuse as is and you're done! LOL why didn't I think of that
vasek is offline Find More Posts by vasek
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:23 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
nippaero,

The 1680 KV motor is a bit low of a kv for the 80mm fan. But it was the only HET motor I had when we received the first mach 80mm units. I decided to test an fly it on 9s. (it's flown on 10s with that motor, but only once and we didn't get a speed on it or film it yet)
The flight time on 9s was approx 5 minutes with (one, 4s and one 5s) 45c, 5000mAh Sky Lipos

The HET 700-68-2100 is a hotter, but still fairly mild (8s, 5000's) motor for this fan. The HET 700-68-2250 should be the 8s should be the ticket to about 150 flat and level.
We have not tested the last 2 motors in the fan yet.

We also have some 22 series Mega motors on the way.

These are the numbers with the 1680 kv motor on 8s. I'd really suggest 9s for this motor.
watts: 2978
amps: 95
RPM: 46402

So the Mega is a drop in upgrade with the Eflite fan? I would just need to go to 8S. Are you still using the ICE 100 for that setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasek View Post
I like your building style/ method; just take out all the components out of the boxes , put them in the fuse as is and you're done! LOL why didn't I think of that
LOL!
nippaero is online now Find More Posts by nippaero
Last edited by nippaero; Jul 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
So the Mega is a drop in upgrade with the Eflite fan? I would just need to go to 8S. Are you still using the ICE 100 for that setup?
We are using the CC ICE in our 8s Habus. I place it just where the intake ducts come together, before the fan, in the cockpit area.

The motor wires ( not the battery wires) will need to be extended about 7" with 12GA wire
Yes the motor drops right into the Stock E-flite housing, but the shaft need to be shortend and a flat added to fit the rotor. Your can do it from my drawing or we can do it for you.
http://www.effluxrc.com/5mm-Shaft-Mo...2-EFL32-SM.htm

We can do a complete assemble and balance which includes the motor mod and heat sink attachment (thermal compound and dabs of expoxy for retention).
http://www.effluxrc.com/Assemble-and...ance-ASBAL.htm

You will require this motor:
http://www.effluxrc.com/Habu-32-8s-h...6-40-15SEC.htm

and this heat sink:
http://www.effluxrc.com/28mm-Heat-Si...ned-2836HS.htm

We also stock the fan if you need compete assy and balance:
http://www.effluxrc.com/E-flite_c39.htm

We no not use the E-Flite wire fairing. Just arrange the motors wires axially and cover with heat shrink to make a very narrow fairing. (see photo)

If you assemble yourself, you must assemble the motor shaft and adust the screws for the smoothest running shaft. (feel with your finger or fingernail)
You must also, at least static balance the rotor. they are NOT balanced from the factory. (put one on a prop balancer and see for yourself. )
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Jul 20, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Well after adjusting the voltage output from 5.1v to 6.0v I am still seeing random gear extensions during flight with my Habu 32. I did notice that when it would happen today I would hear the motor momentarily cut out for a split second. The only other thing I can think of is a cold solder joint with the only suspect location being where the BEC pro and the ICE 100 are both spliced and soldered together into the EC5 connector. What else am I missing? this has been somewhat frustrating to troubleshoot since it only happens in flight, I cant seem to replicate it on the ground.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:32 PM
Fayetteville Municipal, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
574 Posts
The Castle BEC Pro is a piece of trash. I would never use it in anything I valued at all. Replace it and your problems will go away.
Futurase is offline Find More Posts by Futurase
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:38 PM
I Fly Real Jets Too!
Warner Robins GA
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding mine after a crash (just bought another kit). Anyway, I picked up the Spektrum airspeed sensor. I saw one pic in this thread of a pitot tube installation, and I'm interested in getting some more help in setting this up. How did you install it in the nose? There seems to be no access up there to place the tube where it needs to go!
Napoleon_Taner is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon_Taner
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurase View Post
The Castle BEC Pro is a piece of trash. I would never use it in anything I valued at all. Replace it and your problems will go away.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a "piece of trash", I would totally disagree in fact. I am currently using one in my E-Flite F4 and Habu 32 and they've been flawless. But, to each his own I suppose.

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Last edited by smaze17; Jul 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2004
574 Posts
It is TRASH. Only reason they somewhat work is they are being run in little stuff like the Habu 32. In big aircraft like 700 class helicopters they have a horrible reputation. 12 cell systems with big hungry servos and it rolls over every time.

The Castle BEC pro is run at its rating is no where near what Castle claims. Run it with a 12S input as it claims it can take it and if you pull over like 2 amps it shuts off. It is TRASH.

Lots of options that don't. I run Western Robotics BEC's. They have been very reliable over the years and DO what they say they do.

Norman Ross Jr.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
I also disagree that it is trash. I am confident in castle products, they stand by their stuff with good warranties. If it is the BEC failing is that why you feel it is trash? I don't understand your comment of it being trash when you say it's fine with the little stuff like the Habu but not ideal for 12s applications. I was planning on using one in my JHH F-86 which will most likely be a 10s or 12s setup. Regardless, I just want to troubleshoot my current setup...
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:17 PM
I Fly Real Jets Too!
Warner Robins GA
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurase View Post
It is TRASH. Only reason they somewhat work is they are being run in little stuff like the Habu 32. In big aircraft like 700 class helicopters they have a horrible reputation. 12 cell systems with big hungry servos and it rolls over every time.

The Castle BEC pro is run at its rating is no where near what Castle claims. Run it with a 12S input as it claims it can take it and if you pull over like 2 amps it shuts off. It is TRASH.

Lots of options that don't. I run Western Robotics BEC's. They have been very reliable over the years and DO what they say they do.

Norman Ross Jr.
I think you might be confusing the CC BEC with the CC BEC Pro. The CC BEC is blue shrink wrap enclosed and rated to 10A. The Pro is green and has a multi-prong heat sink on it. It's rated to 20A and I run it on my TRex 550 that has the same radio gear in it as my 700. I've beat it up bad with no trouble after having brownout problems with the 10A BEC.
Napoleon_Taner is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon_Taner
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Sep 2004
574 Posts
I have seen them fail time and time again on Trex 700's and etc. That is my experience. Run them on 8S or down and they have much better life. Go to ANY heli forum and look at all the Castle fires. Run a Castle Ice 120HV on a 700 class he and they bust into flames all the time. I can post picture after picture of them failing. Castle used to make decent ESC's before the ICE line came out. I had some.

All I run is Kontronik Jives now on my helis.