HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:57 AM
Registered User
ZACATTACK's Avatar
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,801 Posts
There is a multitude of ways to program CROW into your Jet..Whatever works..I'm involved in EDF section in RC Universe and a gentlemen in there advised me to try the mix I mentioned below...works great..this plane does'nt need CROW to land but if you can have the capability to program this feature into your Radio..Try it...You might find it improves your Landing procedure and reduces landing distance..
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Registered User
Jetnfast's Avatar
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
stmbike & jcdfrd, thanks good feedback on the temps!

I am almost hesitant to fly right now since its 90-100F outside here in the midwest with this heatwave we are having, but I might try to get out in the morning (when its cooler) over the next few days and do some WOT runs to see if its any cooler running.....
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Registered User
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
There is a multitude of ways to program CROW into your Jet..Whatever works..I'm involved in EDF section in RC Universe and a gentlemen in there advised me to try the mix I mentioned below...works great..this plane does'nt need CROW to land but if you can have the capability to program this feature into your Radio..Try it...You might find it improves your Landing procedure and reduces landing distance..
Does the throttle only act in the ailerons, or also in flap/elevator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
I tried to apply some heat with an hairdryer and it got better, but had to press the covering down.
Just a little heat from the hairdryer and the bubbles start to appear.

I will buy an iron in a LHS (I think he has one from great planes) and go through the wings. I just don't think he has the sock, so I will have to find a replacement for that.
My LBS had a veeeeery expensive iron (the 21st century from Coverite) and the others were 110v, so I went to the easier and dangerous route of using a travel iron along with a calibrated IR temp probe i borrowed from work.

I tried to put the iron only when it was around 300ºF just on the affected areas (this way I can shrink it more in the future, but the results were so good I ironed almost all the top of the wing.
I regret the small pin holes I made in the leading edge, because this method took all the wrinkles out in the worst area, so they were unnecessary (I read about the woodpecker tool to get rid of trapped air bubbles).
It looks like new, just not so pristine as new as I can notice the finish in the balsa underneath the coating.

Even an area where the sealing was lifting became perfect...

This ultracote cover seems to be easy to work on, and a repair in the future seems easy (with a proper iron - that I will search on the cheap side), since the colors used in the Habu 32 are easily available.
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Last edited by whisperdancer; Jun 26, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
Registered User
ZACATTACK's Avatar
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,801 Posts
Crow

The effect that I have programmed in my set-up is my ailerons go up as my throttle is reduced upon entering my Landing mode to a maximum of no more then 5mm of aileron deflection...nothing else is mixed. In the Flap menu on the X9303, program the elevator defletion to your liking... my elevator is set to about 2-3mm in the down position when the stick is held at neutral position upon entering Landing Mode.You dont want any other control surfaces affected by your reduction of throttle, at least I dont...Hope this helps, sounds like you do not have the X9303.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Registered User
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
The effect that I have programmed in my set-up is my ailerons go up as my throttle is reduced upon entering my Landing mode to a maximum of no more then 5mm of aileron deflection...nothing else is mixed. In the Flap menu on the X9303, program the elevator defletion to your liking... my elevator is set to about 2-3mm in the down position when the stick is held at neutral position upon entering Landing Mode.You dont want any other control surfaces affected by your reduction of throttle, at least I dont...Hope this helps, sounds like you do not have the X9303.
I have the 8FG, and I think I can program a mix linked to the landing gear deployment that can activate the crow with the throttle.

I will try and see if the mix works.
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
bdelapen's Avatar
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
I have the 8FG, and I think I can program a mix linked to the landing gear deployment that can activate the crow with the throttle.

I will try and see if the mix works.
Yes, it's easy to do on the 8fg. Alternately, you can link it to the flap switch, so that it only activates when your flaps are fully deployed (landing mode).

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:33 AM
Registered User
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Yes, it's easy to do on the 8fg. Alternately, you can link it to the flap switch, so that it only activates when your flaps are fully deployed (landing mode).

- Birger
Problem is I'm not using flaps through the flap menu.
I created a virtual channel using the motor function on the 8FG to slowly deploy the flaps and elevator, and made a program mix where the motor controls the speed of the flaps, since the flap menu doesn't have the servo speed option. Airbrake would be a good option but it only allows one position for it.

Maybe I can link it to the secont position of the mix. I have to check it as I'm not confortable with this mix thing...
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:20 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
bdelapen's Avatar
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
Problem is I'm not using flaps through the flap menu.
I created a virtual channel using the motor function on the 8FG to slowly deploy the flaps and elevator, and made a program mix where the motor controls the speed of the flaps, since the flap menu doesn't have the servo speed option. Airbrake would be a good option but it only allows one position for it.

Maybe I can link it to the secont position of the mix. I have to check it as I'm not confortable with this mix thing...
Still possible as you slave your crow (butterfly) to the flaps which are already moving slow, I have done this many times with elevator compensation and it moves slow with the flaps as well. Take it over to the 8FG thread and we can have a discussion of how it would be done there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1092861

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:57 AM
Registered User
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
As the thread is sleeping, just a photo of the Habu sitting on the runway...
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:02 AM
Registered User
RCflyerCT's Avatar
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Nose gear Door

Gents,

I am in the final stages of my build and I am really looking forward to maiden. I have been through most of this thread, and it has been very helpful in so many areas.

The one question I have is on the node gear door. Based on some of the posts and a video that Tam posted, I think he was going to make a nose gear door kit available for purchase through tamjets. However, I do not see this on his website. Does anyone know if it exists....or if anone else has made and is selling one?

Thanks,

Wes
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:15 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,291 Posts
Wes two hingesa free channel and a servo is all you need.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:41 AM
Registered User
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
290 Posts
I would say two hinges and a bungee...
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
Registered User
RCflyerCT's Avatar
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Bec

Gents,

Also, I have rigged my bird with the 10amp CC bec. I am running all stock. Should this be okay, or is it critical to upgrade to the ccbecpro?
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2011
9 Posts
i had 10amp cc bec on my trex 600 esp and it would shut down for a second or 2 if i moved the sticks too fast up and down on the bench !
I replaced it with cc bec pro in both Habu and trex . No problems since.

VV
EvilVV is offline Find More Posts by EvilVV
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:21 PM
Registered User
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
555 Posts
EvilVV, I own both a Habu32 and Trex600E. Not even close to the same! Trex600 servo's draw much more current, especially in flight. How did you power the CC10 amp bec? It is only rated for 5 amps @ 24volt input. I would not power a Trex600 with that bec either!
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fiberglass Habu Airframe Calvin_220 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 92 Nov 10, 2012 02:53 AM
Sold New in box Habu EDF PNP flyboy1945 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Aug 01, 2010 08:24 PM
Discussion ESC very HOT - Sorry the discussion is moved to the Habu thread SalamSyed Foamy EDFs 0 Mar 20, 2010 11:15 PM
New Product New Fiberglass EDF Jets!!! Starfire + EDF Trainer nitroplanes Nitro Planes 0 Jan 24, 2009 09:58 AM
Discussion Baja SS Speculation and hopup thread. DaveESPI Large Scale Cars 3 Feb 03, 2008 07:39 PM