SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaSpeed View Post
I use this on my large helis. (T Rex 600 and 700)
Is this ok on the Habu to run all the servos?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tage-Regulator
I would think your choice will be good to go...I'm running a 5 amp UBEC that's rated for up to 8S...I use the power from the main battery pack to supply the voltage instead of a separate 7.4 volt pack powering the BEC...With my higher voltage planes (8S and above) I'm using a HV BEC with a separate 7.4 volt pack...Due to the small size of the Habu I like to keep the weight down by not using a separate pack to power the BEC..Larger planes hardly know the difference in weight...I don't think that your choice will drastically hurt the performance of the plane as long as you keep the 7.4v battery pack small...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:52 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaSpeed View Post
So how do you charge these batteries? Please explain.
I buy the Compacts as a 7s pack. They have two balance connectors. Bought some single XH connectors off EP Buddy and rewired the connector into a single one. I use two Thunderpower 820's in my charging case. I can do up to 8 cells on each port. So four batteries at once if i want.
If you have CellPro charger you could probably charge through the balance leads only.

Habu on these go awesome, had six flights this morning. Stumax 80mm 7s = rocket ship performance. Cool fun

Chris
icicles is online now Find More Posts by icicles
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:55 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
852 Posts
[Hi Chris
What motor do you have in the Stumax? 700 68 xx?
I have 6S 4000 but I have a balance issue. I think going 7S 5000 would sort it out.
Where is your bstteries fitted?
are they on the mounting plate or moved forward ?
cheers
Steve
Habu on these go awesome, had six flights this morning. Stumax 80mm 7s = rocket ship performance. Cool fun

Chris[/QUOTE]
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Jun 09, 2012, 06:58 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
[Hi Chris
What motor do you have in the Stumax? 700 68 xx?
I have 6S 4000 but I have a balance issue. I think going 7S 5000 would sort it out.
Where is your bstteries fitted?
are they on the mounting plate or moved forward ?
cheers
Steve

Chris
[/QUOTE]

I am not sure which motor, Stu said it was 6-7 cell capable, with no issues. Smooth as silk, i purchased it as a bolt it in and go. I trust Stu with his setups, something i don't have to worry about. The front edge of the batteries are right on the edge of the cross brace(where the front screws are. I also have a two cell 900mah Lipo for the RX up the front beside the RX. Stu's fan is not light but my model balances with no lead. I carry no elevator trim. The C of G was installed as per Jim Drews recommendations, which is a fair way back. I prefer it like this, models nose doesn't drop in the turns. Fantastic combination.

Chris
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:07 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
852 Posts
Hi Chris
thanks for the Quick reply.
It sounds like we have the same fan and motor. Like you i bought mine as a plug and from Stu.I had my 4000 right over the wheel well and it is still tail heavy.
Who,s batteries are you using?and could you tell me what Jims recommendations are?
Appreciate the help
cheers
Steve.

I am not sure which motor, Stu said it was 6-7 cell capable, with no issues. Smooth as silk, i purchased it as a bolt it in and go. I trust Stu with his setups, something i don't have to worry about. The front edge of the batteries are right on the edge of the cross brace(where the front screws are. I also have a two cell 900mah Lipo for the RX up the front beside the RX. Stu's fan is not light but my model balances with no lead. I carry no elevator trim. The C of G was installed as per Jim Drews recommendations, which is a fair way back. I prefer it like this, models nose doesn't drop in the turns. Fantastic combination.

Chris[/QUOTE]
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
There ya go!!!---Skyline has hit the nail on the head---It doesn't get much cheaper than that!!!...And to think that my Schulze chargers cost $220 each.....But they will charge a much higher than "normal" cell count...

Kevin
I've got 2. They've been working great for 2 years now. The fastest they will charge is at 7Amps.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
Hi Chris
thanks for the Quick reply.
It sounds like we have the same fan and motor. Like you i bought mine as a plug and from Stu.I had my 4000 right over the wheel well and it is still tail heavy.
Who,s batteries are you using?and could you tell me what Jims recommendations are?
Appreciate the help
cheers
Steve.

Chris
[/QUOTE]

I use these 7s compacts http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

And these Nano techs on 6s http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Both are virtually identical in weights. The 7s compacts get warmer, so far so good. We are in the middle of winter so things run pretty cool

I can't remember what numbers i used of Jim Drews. Sorry. I you search or go through my post you should be able to pick it up

Chris
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:51 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
836 Posts
Update,

I'm getting really close to 100 flights on my Habu 32.

First 20 or so were with stock power and Tam struts.

Next 75 or so were with TJ 80 plug n play 1509.

Last 3 were with Stumax plug n play 8 cell set up.

The power seems very similar to the TJ 80, but the Stumax is incredibly quiet.

The airframe in flight seems to make more sound than the Fan/motor.

Thanks Stu, you have a really cool product.

-DG
Dave Grife is online now Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
Portugal, Porto District, Maia Municipality
Joined Aug 2008
300 Posts
Almost finished the Habu assembly now.

I lost some time on cleaning the wire installation (and the end result isn't that great), as the ESC placement didn't leave me much choices.

I ended up putting it in the recommended location, as horizontal as possible so the fan can suck some air through the ESC.
I'm using an ESC with only a small plate for heat dissipation, so cooling is crucial (I'm also using a nose gear door, so less cooling there).

Do you think I will get in trouble with heat with this ESC placement (the other side is the BEC)? I'm using the stock fan/motor.
whisperdancer is offline Find More Posts by whisperdancer
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperdancer View Post
Almost finished the Habu assembly now.

I lost some time on cleaning the wire installation (and the end result isn't that great), as the ESC placement didn't leave me much choices.

I ended up putting it in the recommended location, as horizontal as possible so the fan can suck some air through the ESC.
I'm using an ESC with only a small plate for heat dissipation, so cooling is crucial (I'm also using a nose gear door, so less cooling there).

Do you think I will get in trouble with heat with this ESC placement (the other side is the BEC)? I'm using the stock fan/motor.
I have CC ICE 100 in the same spot, and from I have read that is the optimal location.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
I guess my HABU build is officially finished. The sad part is I started working on it back in January! Life has been busy over the last few months, what can I say, but better late than never right?

For those running CC ICE 100's, how is my ESC placement? I tried to wedge that sucker in there as tight as I could, hopefully it will get some of the suction airflow for cooling.

Thanks to "The Rook" for the pictures he posted a while back of the Hobbyking F-86 cockpit kit and pilot, I went the same route and I am very pleased. The best part was with the cockpit and pilot it balanced out nicely in the 100-115mm range with a 5300 mah 6s Gens Ace pack.

I still need to get the play out of the wings with the leading edge gaps. I am thinking some silicone should do the trick, but I did read using some washers on the rear joiner might work as well.

The last and final step is a taxi check and then the maiden, whiich will hopefully take place in the next week or so. Its very hot and windy in west central Missouri right now, so I am waiting for some better conditions.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:19 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
whisperdancer..looks all good to me.

Jetnfast...I have not tryed my ICE 100,read somewhere that they removed the plastic house around it just to be safe.
Nice cockpit!welcome to the club..only downer is the extra weight!
Good luck on the coming maiden!

//Andy.
hypstar is offline Find More Posts by hypstar
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:27 PM
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2003
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
I guess my HABU build is officially finished. The sad part is I started working on it back in January! Life has been busy over the last few months, what can I say, but better late than never right?

For those running CC ICE 100's, how is my ESC placement? I tried to wedge that sucker in there as tight as I could, hopefully it will get some of the suction airflow for cooling.

Thanks to "The Rook" for the pictures he posted a while back of the Hobbyking F-86 cockpit kit and pilot, I went the same route and I am very pleased. The best part was with the cockpit and pilot it balanced out nicely in the 100-115mm range with a 5300 mah 6s Gens Ace pack.

I still need to get the play out of the wings with the leading edge gaps. I am thinking some silicone should do the trick, but I did read using some washers on the rear joiner might work as well.

The last and final step is a taxi check and then the maiden, whiich will hopefully take place in the next week or so. Its very hot and windy in west central Missouri right now, so I am waiting for some better conditions.
Jetnfast

The cockpit looks great and I found it on Hobby King. Can tell me the pilot you selected?

Good luck with the maiden, looking sharp.

Jim
jfassino is offline Find More Posts by jfassino
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
Jetnfast...just a heads up,look over that canopy latch...no need for extension?
hypstar is offline Find More Posts by hypstar
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Jul 2011
154 Posts
Wow the ice 100 looks like a tight fit, I was hoping to use my ice 120hv. Anyone get that to fit ok?
Boston Bob is offline Find More Posts by Boston Bob