Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
818 Posts
I still Can't believe there are people running these fans in their Hand.
I am not the fun police but there is real DANGER attached with these actions.
Look at the guy who nearly lost his eye doing somthing simular.(Shepard I think)
Do his warnings stand for nothing ?
Be carefull out there
.cheers
Steve
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,919 Posts
Even installed, high powered fans can be dangerous. I once ran up a Schubie in SAPAC Composite Hawk to trial it before entering the Viperjet Speed contest. One of the ducts collapsed causing the fan to frag, which in turn shredded the shroud sending a shard through the kitchen light. I was lucky, I was not injured until my wife came home.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,266 Posts
my 8s 32 flies circles around the 5s habus
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
my 8s 32 flies circles around the 5s habus
Could not help but notice your location...you mind if i ask where you fly ? Do you know of any Central Fla events that focus on fast electrics ? I have been traveling ALL over central fla and much of the South East for YEARS flying in the 3D gasser events,and some Demos...but now that i am getting some decent electrics going,i have not been able to locate any events.....I think Florida needs a Go Fast Electric Rc Airplane Speed Weekend BAD
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
Check the watts.
There is setting goes to high timing give you 3kw.
Mid timing is 2.7kw.
If you get anything less. Check the batteries.
There no way TJ80 8s are only doing 122.7 mph.
The weight also is the factor.
My 8s Habu 7.7 bls and my friend with 5000mAh Venom pack weight 8lbs.
Here is the first Habu I maiden for my friend and his are using 5000mAh Venom pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pem8y_T2jQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5E-QZepU38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIPUBFQ54SU
Tam,I am starting to wonder if you even have a clue of what you are talking about when it comes to EDF's.......Just did some readings the other day from the esc and a watt meter just to check one another,and it is 3Kw with mid timing
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
looking at the logs again I noticed a possible problem. whats up with your max voltage?? its low!! what charger are you using? your packs should be around 50vdc your starting voltage is at 49.0 for tp's and 49.2 for gens that is 4.1 per cell roughly they should all be 4.19 to 4.20 per cell or the batteries are not fully charged. are you charging right before your flights or do you do something else?
I've got the Thunder Power 820CD. And yes. Charge at house, fly about an hour later or so. But even at house they are never a full 50V. And I have the charger set up to charge to 4.24 volts also.
Need to keep in mind this is the esc log. Not the most accurate place to find info in my opinion. Just a general reference really.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,828 Posts
voltage is voltage I would think the voltage would be the most accurate of all the things its records.
especially unloaded like when you plug in the esc and it arms it is seing the highest voltage right at that point, here's a thought, maybe your batteries are at 50.2vdc as they should be but the esc is only seeing 49vdc this could indicate a bad connection or solder joint in your wiring between the batts and esc and could explain your voltage drop
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Last edited by jcdfrd; Apr 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:50 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,819 Posts
Quote:
voltage is voltage I would think the voltage would be the most accurate of all the things its records.
especially unloaded like when you plug in the esc and it arms it is seing the highest voltage right at that point, here's a thought, maybe your batteries are at 50.2vdc as they should be but the esc is only seeing 49vdc this could indicate a bad connection or solder joint in your wiring between the batts and esc and could explain your voltage drop
John..no doubt you know the EDF scene but those Castle Data Logs are really UN-reliable.They are all over the place with many of my friends set-ups as well as my own. In accurate logs consistently.I never trust them and don't believe them. If MP was using the eagle-tree system, e-logger 4,I bet dollars to donuts that data from the eagle tree would not look like the Castle logging data.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
It's possible. But in my humble opinion not probable.
When I use my meter to meter voltage, it doesn't matter if I touch the very tiny tip of the probe or solder the probe to what I'm testing...results are the same.
And yes. I'm using 4mm connectors like what came on the GensAce. Could maybe get better burst from some better connectors. But the whole system always come in warm at the most!
I've checked batts and motor and wires. All under 120F after a run.
I ran the TPs 2700s for three consecutive 20 sec full throttle runs the other day on the ground. Batts were 136 afterwards and nothing else was even really warm. Wires were room temp.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:06 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,828 Posts
I'v only ever seen them be inaccurate on amp draw which effects watts also keep in mind when we say inaccurate we are measuring amp loads in different parts of the circuit so is it really inaccurate? it depends on how far off you are a couple of percent is normal 10% would be out of norm....sometimes it is and needs to be sent in for recalibration. I have never seen the voltage be off
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
It's possible. But in my humble opinion not probable.
When I use my meter to meter voltage, it doesn't matter if I touch the very tiny tip of the probe or solder the probe to what I'm testing...results are the same.
And yes. I'm using 4mm connectors like what came on the GensAce. Could maybe get better burst from some better connectors. But the whole system always come in warm at the most!
I've checked batts and motor and wires. All under 120F after a run.
I ran the TPs 2700s for three consecutive 20 sec full throttle runs the other day on the ground. Batts were 136 afterwards and nothing else was even really warm. Wires were room temp.
well it was just a thought what I would do and maybe you have already is to freshly charge the packs and take a voltage reading from the 12s pack and then run it and see what your log reports they will most likely be the same. this will at least tell you something about what is going on, if the batteries are really at 4.10 per cell after a charge the your batt's are damaged. one other thing you can do with your TP820 is check the IR readings of your packs this is another way to check the condition of your packs, bottom line is you need to find out if the 49vdc reading is correct or not
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
On my rig, 1 percent is 7 amps or so. That could be several hundred watts. And several hundred RPM. So I'm just using it as a reference. I don't have $2K for an Eagle Tree setup! I already spent it on the plane!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
well it was just a thought what I would do and maybe you have already is to freshly charge the packs and take a voltage reading from the 12s pack and then run it and see what your log reports they will most likely be the same. this will at least tell you something about what is going on, if the batteries are really at 4.10 per cell after a charge the your batt's are damaged. one other thing you can do with your TP820 is check the IR readings of your packs this is another way to check the condition of your packs, bottom line is you need to find out if the 49vdc reading is correct or not
Ir ranges from 3-5 per cell. All cells on all three packs the same within 1 when checked.
I am going to do some checking. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the input!
Really! I've still got a lot to learn and always will!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,828 Posts
I totally understand but here's the thing if your batteries after a full charge are 49volts then you are losing 1000rpm minimum that is substantial wouldn't you want to know that?

wow I didn't know eagle tree systems cost that much, I just use my trusty amp clamp, dvm and data log oh and my hyperion sentry batt checker this is all I use and it is more than enough cross checking to know when something is amiss
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:29 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
That's the big one with all the bells and whistles. I just looked at it. $$$$$!! Eeek!
Elogger is a couple hundred with attachments I think. Either way. I've got some investigating to do on several parts of this plane. Someday soon......