Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:41 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420flyboy View Post
Last I checked this is a habu 32 thread , not a 80mm thread

Just my 2 cents
Habu thread is using 80mm fan for power.
It still value information to know.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
Waddell, AZ
Joined Sep 2010
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadai View Post
Hi Guys,

I would like to know about landing the Habu

How much power do you guys come from landing ? 40% / 30% / 20% with full flaps ? I don´t want to stall or come very fast

Best Regards
I have been flying my Habu 32 fo about a year now and have never had a tip stall. with flaps down she stalls straight nose down in my experience. Initially I was doing my approaches too fast and landing long too often. here is my approach technique that provides adequate speed, but not too fast:

I bring the Habu over the runway at downwind approach height with about 30-40 percent throttle, then I go to the first flap position and gear down before the airplane gets to me. I do this over the runway to confirm the gear is down. I have watched turbine flyers do this consistently and it is good practice. After the aircraft passes me I turn to the downwind leg, put it slightly nose up and reduce power to about 20-25 percent and go to full flaps for the rest of the approach. keep the nose slightly above level and use the power to control the descent rate. if you drop the nose, it will come in too fast. I fly it right down to the runway trying to hold it level in the flare and then cut the power a foot or less off the runway.
wpotter is offline Find More Posts by wpotter
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:16 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
I'm sure is not correct.
Just let you know that. Don't get upset. You should do proper measurement and give it few more test to confirm your information is correct.
7.7 pound of thrust is sound to be right with that watts.
Efflux was too far off to be truth.
You should realized it from many testing you had done.
Stick 70mm exhaust into the Stumax calculator and 3.5kg thrust and you get 211mph, so it would be hard to imagine 240mph with no exhaust. When using the ET pitot tube one can get wildly varying results in efflux, been there done that given up on using the results other than as a very general baseline. Needs to have a full length tube attached in order to have any chance of getting a settled accurate velocity from the pitot.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Yup... I can't imagine with exhaust tube install.
From 240mph efflux jump to 270 mph.
Gary Habu should be doIng 200 mph.LOL

My sofa is ready for Gary.
Ask the doc why I'm not goIng fast with 240 mph efflux?
Why is your faster with less efflux?
Just haven fun with you Gary.
You had your number is too far off and not proper location to get accurate reading. Don't ask me where. Something you must know how to get proper testing.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:34 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
I tested a different 80mm Mach/HET setup last night, and the numbers are even better. They exceed Extreme's setup a few posts above and are still under 100A.
The figures posted of 3.792kg and 2855 watts is inside the model with full ducting and thrust tube nose down on scales. 8.34lb inside the model at that power level is not too shabby...

Oh and fan WITH motor is $235.00...
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:26 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,975 Posts
That's gotta be the best value based solution going for the Habu and no wonder so many are starting to appear.

Have you got a sofa in your work shop too?

I'm planning a different "Frankenstein" with not much that will be purchasable off the shelf.
One thing is for sure, if it goes in, it will leave a substantial crater like the one that ended the dinosaurs.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:17 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
The figures posted of 3.792kg and 2855 watts is inside the model with full ducting and thrust tube nose down on scales. 8.34lb inside the model at that power level is not too shabby...

Oh and fan WITH motor is $235.00...
Where can we get that combo for that price usd? Your website shows a higher price. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot.
SmokeDogg is offline Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:31 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,061 Posts
$235 fan and motor, the combo is a little extra as its fitted and balanced / tested etc ready to go.
I went the combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDogg View Post
Where can we get that combo for that price usd? Your website shows a higher price. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spot.
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:49 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,662 Posts
Yeah sorry guys I been trying to crunch numbers and update things with all the new products but its not easy! I now have a large delivery of 80mm rotors pre-machined and dynamically balanced which has cut down the labour content on my side hence slightly lower prices on the 80mm fans. $255.00 for the complete assembled fan ready to go, add $15.00 if you need brackets (a must for habus).

Assembly breakdown is fitting plugs to motor, installing motor with premium thermal paste, motor cone same, then adapter fitted and checked for runout then rotor fitted, fan slowly run up and rotor adjusted for sweet spot, then spinner fitted and adjusted and balanced if needed. Quite a bit of time involved, much moreso than the $20.00 I charge.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:33 AM
Zak
France, RA, Meyzieu
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
EDF problems

Hello
First excuse my English because I am French.
While practicing the model aircraft for many years, I am a novice for EDF.
I have mounted the Habu 32 E-Flite fiber version, with the recommended equipment except the controller who is a J. Perkins model "En-ErG Pro B-115 Opto" 115 A continuous.

Problem: I put the engine full throttle, the aircraft on ground in static mode, No vibrations or unusual noises, but after a 1,3 minutes, the motor blocked and controller calcined.
The engine teardown, overheating is clearly visible and the coil at the black wire is fused, after the welding.

Thank you in advance for your help, I I'd like to know the real cause of the problem before ordering a new motor and controller.
Regards
Zak
Zakarian is offline Find More Posts by Zakarian
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,927 Posts
Zakarian,
We need to know your battery too. Always check your electric setups with a watt meter first. I don't usually run a plane WOT on the ground for more than 15 seconds because you don't have airflow to cool things. It is hard to know if you are burning your motor without knowing the amps and watts from meter.

Also, the ESC looks like it should handle the job, but it is also programmable, so you may want to look at the default timing and other settings to make sure you are not running the motor too hot.

Tells us what the watt meter reading are, and your battery. Then we can go from there.

PS Your English is great.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
Zak
France, RA, Meyzieu
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Tclaridge
Thank you for your quick answer.
The used battery is an 6S 4500 mAh 40C.
For ESC the important settings where: Brake : off
Timing: 2° (for 6 poles motor)
For the wattmeter, I can't give any values actualy (the motor is now out, I have ordered a new one, but the delivery time is 3 weeks!!!!
The E-flite data values (installed in Habu 32 using Delta-V32 80 mm) are: 2150Kv, continuous courant 65A, 1400Watts and 38500RPM.
Zakarian is offline Find More Posts by Zakarian
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,927 Posts
Zakarion,
The battery is fine, the ESC seems to be a proper type and size. The motor should handle everything fine. I have ran mine to 70 amp and 1750 watts without issue. It may be that you ran it WOT on the bench for too long.

I would wait for a new motor and watt meter then do a WOT static test for just 10 seconds. Then you will know if the amps and watts are within the motor limits. You can go over a little without issue.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:27 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakarian View Post
Hello
First excuse my English because I am French.
While practicing the model aircraft for many years, I am a novice for EDF.
I have mounted the Habu 32 E-Flite fiber version, with the recommended equipment except the controller who is a J. Perkins model "En-ErG Pro B-115 Opto" 115 A continuous.

Problem: I put the engine full throttle, the aircraft on ground in static mode, No vibrations or unusual noises, but after a 1,3 minutes, the motor blocked and controller calcined.
The engine teardown, overheating is clearly visible and the coil at the black wire is fused, after the welding.

Thank you in advance for your help, I I'd like to know the real cause of the problem before ordering a new motor and controller.
Regards
Zak

This may seem like a really dumb question but is the motor spinning in the correct direction? If it's reversed and blowing air out the intake the amp draw goes through the roof. Like putting a prop on backward.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,975 Posts
There ae some EDF fan and housing swhereby need to be careful how far down the motor shaft you set the fan collet. On some Wemos the fan lower edge can rub on the front of the motor tube. It would be Iike driving with the brake on. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz