HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:03 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,058 Posts
my first flight today what a great jet to fly

but im not sure if my esc is damaged as its from another jet of mine that had a big crash.

its getting to hot, im sitting the esc under the battery bay where are people putting there esc? it feels like there is enough airflow but maybe im wrong
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:34 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,416 Posts
You may find it cools better in the "v" of the inlets.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post

but im not sure if my esc is damaged as its from another jet of mine that had a big crash.

its getting to hot, im sitting the esc under the battery bay where are people putting there esc? it feels like there is enough airflow but maybe im wrong
How bad was that previous crash? Was there any physical damage to the esc or components? If so I would replace it immediately since its not worth the risk in my opinion! What type of esc are you running?
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:29 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post

Check the settings on your ESC...it heats up more on different settings..
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,847 Posts
there is not enough air flow in that spot, even after opening up the rear battery tray former to let air go thru, if you look back in this thread Bri6672 played around with that spot and he had to make a naca duct opening to eventually get enough cooling to the esc which was an ice120 mounted underneath to the battery tray
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
934 Posts
Airspeed sensor arrived now I'll have to install and get readings
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
there is not enough air flow in that spot, even after opening up the rear battery tray former to let air go thru, if you look back in this thread Bri6672 played around with that spot and he had to make a naca duct opening to eventually get enough cooling to the esc which was an ice120 mounted underneath to the battery tray
I was planning on mounting mine under there as I don't like the looks of it standing on end in front of the ducts. I guess I'll have to suck it up and mount it there.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:15 PM
kentucky
Joined Oct 2010
61 Posts
Question for you guys running a cc ice 100. What update are you using? And are you changing anything from the standard settings?
mulchie is offline Find More Posts by mulchie
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,049 Posts
I had mounted 2 different ICE 100's under the battery tray and both of them overheated. Once I moved the ESC to the "Y" of the intakes, overheating was never an issue again. The suction created by the fan unit really helps with ESC cooling.

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,947 Posts
Hey spy, for some reason, I though you had a TJ setup. You must gave so thing else.

There is 2 stock Habus where I fly. I am sure at least one has the recommended ESC and placement under the packs. In that config, it's fine. It's as soon as you power it up with more that all the engineering needs to be changed.

I have miy ICE 120 between the ducts and I have Dremel extra slots on the rear lower edge of the canopy for extra air draw. If I consider hoping up more, I will remove shelf for the packs and get them on the floor so they are less obstructed by the air flow too.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
934 Posts
Finished the install of the eagle tree speed logger in my habu jet fan 80mm with het 1680kv 10s, I'll get to fly Saturday , it's supposed to be in the 60's. I'll post back with the speed numbers.
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,591 Posts
Here's an early ice 120. But you can remove the plasitc case from any of them for the same result. I've done it with the HV2 120 and ICE 100. Just glue the two hear sink halfs together. This makes a much smaller footprint.
Just get the ESC between the battery tray and where the ducts come together. Theres plenty of airflow from the fan there, and the air gets pulled in thru the stock NACA duct (I clean it up a bit to remove the molded ridge)
We've built 5 Habus with ICE 100s or 120 HVs in this area with no problems whatsoever.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,591 Posts
Here' is an ICE 100 with the case removed. (just put a dab of epoxy where the two heat sink halves come together)
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,591 Posts
All our Habus have full nose gear doors on them, and only get intake air, for ESC cooling from the stock NACA duct.
For you guys that are not running a full door, there's additional air coming in thru the fixed nose wheel opening.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
kentucky
Joined Oct 2010
61 Posts
I almost have everything to start my build now. Just need a tx and rx. I am ready to buy, I just can't make up my mind on which radio I want yet.
mulchie is offline Find More Posts by mulchie