HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, MI, St Clair Shores
Joined Sep 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
That what I got in the oven. The machine shop should had my heat sink to fit stock fan by end the week.
Also with my CF tailcone for install ESC behide the motor.
Now we can had stock E-Flite fan able to run on 7s.
Hi Tam,

Do You have a CF tail cone for a 28mm 8S mega motor/stock Eflite v32 fan
that i can use to put the ICE 100 (w/green heat sink) behind the fan?

Thanks
Jim
jamesbuckley is offline Find More Posts by jamesbuckley
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,912 Posts
Jim,
The MEGA motor is a hot set up and requires a heat sink with big fins on it. I would not recommend putting the motor in a fairing.
Just put the Castle ICE 100 esc (with green heat sink) between the ducts where they come together. There is a big slotted opening that pulls tons of air directly from the fan.
We've built quite a few of these with the ESC placed as above, and had not problems with the ESC temperature at all. If you ESC goes south, it's bcacuse you got a bad one (that happens).
You will only need to extend the motor wires about 6" from the motor to the ESC with 12GA wire.
This will also save you from having to add 10GA wire on the battery side, as well as not needing a Cap Pack. or a big buky harness if you 6mm bullets instead Deans connnectors.
JMO.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:45 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
I ordered the stock servos called out in the manual and I was going to install but realized the the servo arms are diff then the one in the picture. do you have to buy these separate?
bradenj is offline Find More Posts by bradenj
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,991 Posts
James, you should go one way or the other....
the ICE 100 with green heatsink is a very large ESC and would really disrupt the airflow. The ESC that Tam uses are the smaller ones that fit neatly behind the motor.

I use the Ice 120 HV and have it between the ducts. I provided "extra air" for it by dremelling some grooved slots into the canopy right on the black edge. you can really feel it drawing the extra air but the mod is almost invisible.....and very easy to do.. I decided to do this since I have opted for a tight sealing nose gear door and I'm not a good enough modeller to trust myself with more complicated naca duct mods.

Ciao J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:38 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbuckley View Post
Hi Tam,

Do You have a CF tail cone for a 28mm 8S mega motor/stock Eflite v32 fan
that i can use to put the ICE 100 (w/green heat sink) behind the fan?

Thanks
Jim
Jim,
The CF tailcone only can fit our heat sink.
Beside the standard heat sink not go to cut the cake. It just not area to cover the motor for cooling.
The 28mm motor need all the cooling it can get. One of our friend his 28mm motor was running the standard heat sink and it start show the motor loosing power.

So my suggestion is to wait for my heat sink to finish and get the whole things to the job.
It works so well for TJ fan and now with same design can adapt to stock E-Flite fan.
Here is 50% is done. One more set up tomorrow to finish the job.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Is it possible to remove both positive and negative leads in the ESC connector so I can use the leads from my external BEC in this connector?

The reason I ask is I have a 9 channel RX and the CC BEC Pro has two power output leads and I'd really like to use both. I know it's way overkill in this application but it would make me fell better. I'm also feeding direct power to the receivers SPC port.

I've never tried this so I figured I'd ask.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,997 Posts
If you remove them both you won't have throttle control.
If you want to use both leads off the CC BEC Pro just put a y-connector on the receiver ports you want to power. I just do one on channel 1 and one on channel 8 or 9. I avoid using the lightweight connectors for this.
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
If you remove them both you won't have throttle control.
If you want to use both leads off the CC BEC Pro just put a y-connector on the receiver ports you want to power. I just do one on channel 1 and one on channel 8 or 9. I avoid using the lightweight connectors for this.
I was thinking that the ESC only needed a signal from the RX as it receives it's power from the main battery. I already have the red lead removed so the internal BEC doesn't power the RX also. So you are saying I need a signal and ground for the ESC to work?

I'm out of channels on my RX and would rather keep the Y's to a min as it makes adjusting things more difficult.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I was thinking that the ESC only needed a signal from the RX as it receives it's power from the main battery. I already have the red lead removed so the internal BEC doesn't power the RX also. So you are saying I need a signal and ground for the ESC to work?

I'm out of channels on my RX and would rather keep the Y's to a min as it makes adjusting things more difficult.
The signal to the ESC is worth nothing without a reference point, that's what the ground is for.

Short version, without signal and ground the ESC will not work, you can ONLY remove the red wire.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
The signal to the ESC is worth nothing without a reference point, that's what the ground is for.

Short version, without signal and ground the ESC will not work, you can ONLY remove the red wire.

- Birger
Got it.

Now to find plan B

Should I just use one of the BEC's power leads and get over being anal or Y another set of servos to free up another pinset?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Got it.

Now to find plan B

Should I just use one of the BEC's power leads and get over being anal or Y another set of servos to free up another pinset?
Y your ESC and one of your BEC leads, that way you don't give up any programmability on your other channels. This gives you the added bonus of being able to clip the red wire on the Y harness (on the path to the ESC) and not having to mess with the ESC connector to disable the internal BEC.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:57 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Y your ESC and one of your BEC leads, that way you don't give up any programmability on your other channels. This gives you the added bonus of being able to clip the red wire on the Y harness (on the path to the ESC) and not having to mess with the ESC connector to disable the internal BEC.

- Birger
I was just thinking about doing this. Basically I'll only be using a Y for the ESC and BEC to share the ground. Doing this will allow me to power my servos from two pinsets and the Rx off the SPC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2003
699 Posts
Quote:
I was just thinking about doing this. Basically I'll only be using a Y for the ESC and BEC to share the ground. Doing this will allow me to power my servos from two pinsets and the Rx off the SPC.
Is there a sketch of that hook-up ? would love to see it. Thanks
vasek is offline Find More Posts by vasek
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
The dual output wires from the BEC Pro are because one servo connector is not rated above 5 amps.
Y'ing them together serves no purpose at all. You're down to one connector again.
Just use one and check to make sure you don't pull too many amps for that connector.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
What you do is you put a short Y-Harness with thicker gauge wire into each end port of your receiver (i.e. first and last). One end of each Y-Harness gets one of the BEC outputs and the other end get's whatever was plugged in to the receiver in the corresponding port. If what you are plugging in is the ESC then you can also use the Y harness to isolate the ESC internal BEC by clipping the red wire on the Y-Harness at the end that the ESC plugs into (NOT the end that plugs into the receiver).

- Birger
RCG Plus Member