HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Alright, picked mine up today at the LHS in Atlanta. Looks great but now I'm looking to see what sort of motor options we have. I purchased the Eflite fan but passed on the motor because I figured there would be some hotter motors available. The Eflite fan requires a 28mm motor and the Tamjet fan takes a larger 36.5mm motor. The Eflite is a 2150KV 1600 watt motor (6S) and the Neu 1409 is a 2400KV at 1600 watts (6S). Anyone thinking about using the Nue 1415 which would be a 2200KV at 2200w on 8S.

For the e-flite fan, the MEGA 16/35/2C (1840kv) on 8s should be great choice.
We'll have to get a Habu 32 in here for testing.

Well also look at getting a 90mm in there is there's room.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:48 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N227CT View Post
Well, I ordered mine from my LHS the FIRST day it was announced. He said nothing has come in and won't for awhile. I guess it'll be on the second container Not very happy at this time with my LHS! I've got a Tamjet's 80 setup and his struts for my retracts sitting here ready to go. Will probably be my last order from the LHS except for the usual hardware stuff. Has happened before, BTW. It'll work out since it's blowing 30-40mph this month anyway.

John
I wouldn't come down too hard on an LHS over this plane. They may have ordered it for you on the first day, but if they're not participating in the Fast Forward program then they wouldn't have had priority for the first units. We didn't get enough kits in to meet all the demand, so we've had to make decisions regarding who gets this first batch. The rules can get a little complicated, which is just one reason I'm glad I work in product development and can leave these decisions to another department!
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2011, 01:04 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Gary, A4speedjunkie told me about the order and help gave him. I told him he had no worries with you . Plus with that motor he also had no worries and that it should go like stink! Cant wait to see her here in person flying. I will probably be the camera man on the maiden .

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Gary, A4speedjunkie told me about the order and help gave him. I told him he had no worries with you . Plus with that motor he also had no worries and that it should go like stink! Cant wait to see her here in person flying. I will probably be the camera man on the maiden .

Jason
Hey thanks Jay. Yeah, some video would be great!
We have a Habu 32 coming, so I can try some different power systems in it. Good thing the F-16 is almost done.
Don't forget to let me know when your coming down for the other hobby.
I'm there.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:18 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
For the e-flite fan, the MEGA 16/35/2C (1840kv) on 8s should be great choice.
We'll have to get a Habu 32 in here for testing.

Well also look at getting a 90mm in there is there's room.
Thats a bit of good news right there! I am in the same situation, I have 3s and 4s setups in my squadron and I am not going to start a collection of 6s, I'd rather double up on the 4s batts for 8s 4000. Not far off on weight when compared to 6s 5000. Does this motor have the 5mm shaft? Or do I need to order the combat version?

Jay
Jayray123 is offline Find More Posts by Jayray123
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:21 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
576 Posts
Got mine yesterday, as my LHS has the fast forward stuff. I didnt realize the carbon formers, aluminum spar sockets and real classy canopy latch were incorporated into the kit. Nice touches there! Now I have to wipe the drool off the fuse from everyone at the shop oogling it
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:34 AM
AMA 112747
Neptune Beach FL USA
Joined Nov 2000
880 Posts
Mega motor is 3.2 mm and E-flite is 4mm
beachflyer is online now Find More Posts by beachflyer
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:39 AM
OUCH!!!
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Sep 2008
576 Posts
The 80mm fan is 5mm, the combat mega motors on Gary's site are 5 as well.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:23 AM
FZS
eFred
Punta Gorda, FL USA
Joined Mar 2004
52 Posts
Habu 32 at Florida Jets

All I can say is WOW. I was considering a hop-up for my Habu 32 until I saw the stock setup perform. Watching the Habu 32 flying in company with BVM's EDFs was very interesting/exciting. Habu seemed a tad smaller, but appeared just as fast and more maneuverable.

Habu 32 had to struggle a bit to get off the grass, but flying off hard surface should be a snap.

I suggest others wait until they see the stock Habu 32 perform before investing in more/different power. From the few flights I witnessed, Horizon Hobby has a winner!
FZS is offline Find More Posts by FZS
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:01 AM
RickyBoy
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
340 Posts
Can't wait I ordered mine right from Horizon back in October. I ordered everything else last night from Horizon.
RickyBoy49 is offline Find More Posts by RickyBoy49
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:24 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,197 Posts
Quote:
All I can say is WOW. I was considering a hop-up for my Habu 32 until I saw the stock setup perform. Watching the Habu 32 flying in company with BVM's EDFs was very interesting/exciting. Habu seemed a tad smaller, but appeared just as fast and more maneuverable.

Habu 32 had to struggle a bit to get off the grass, but flying off hard surface should be a snap.

I suggest others wait until they see the stock Habu 32 perform before investing in more/different power. From the few flights I witnessed, Horizon Hobby has a winner!

That's what I wanted to hear! good news! lucky for my I fly off hard surface, so no issue there
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:17 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
750 Posts
Thanks for picking up and delivering my kit Tom! I went over it last night and it is very impressive. Especially considering the price after all that engineering that went into it. I am going all stock, using Hitec HS85 servos, hoping the E-flight 32 motor will provide decent run times. For some reason 4 min is OK for me on a heli but not on an airplane, If I can get 6 minute flights out of this setup I'll be thrilled. Does anyone know how we should program our Castle ESC's for this motor? This is pretty much my first high performance e jet so even simple stuff like motor braking on or off I need to know. Thanks.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray123 View Post
The 80mm fan is 5mm, the combat mega motors on Gary's site are 5 as well.
Yes you are correct.

The designation for MEGA's 5mm shaft is "COMBAT".
All MEGA motors in this application's size range are available with a 5mm shaft. The 16/35/xx and 16/40/xx would be the best for the Habu in the E-flite fan.
Please contact us for a specific motor with a 5mm (combat) shaft, if you don't see it on the website.

Our Habu is on it's way, and we'll start testing some MEGAs for it soon.
I'll get a standalone e-flite fan (when available) just for this purpose as well.

Gary
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,892 Posts
I just picked mine up from the LHS. Wow what a beautiful kit, and awesome quality. The precision of the kit is the best I have seen any ARF so far. I hope this is how all Horizon built-ups are going to be, because the fabrication and finish is immaculate!!! Even the wheels are nice scale Al hubs. I can't wait to see the bigger H9 version next year (wish wish).
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:15 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,490 Posts
All the HH guys are at Florida Jets this weekend. I saw the habu 32 fly. It really scoots.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Last edited by jhroof; Mar 05, 2011 at 03:41 PM.