HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62 View Post
Anyone know of any after christmas sales that may have some deep cuts on the Habu 32?
Chiefaircraft, has a package deal and free shipping , hope this helps.
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:27 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 420flyboy View Post
thanks, Ill take a look
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Tam are you going to have a booth at the AMA expo?
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:02 AM
True North Strong and Free
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
54 Posts
Lots of Questions

Okay, I've been reading through this thread for the last 10 days. It is WAY too long!

Although I've been in the hobby since the late 80s, I haven't gone very extreme with it. But I have been kind of out of it for a while and slowly getting back into it. I learned a lot back then, but now there is so much new stuff, particularly with the electrics. I got a Stryker back in the early part of this year, and it was my first foray into electrics. Absolutely EVERYTHING about electrics is new to me. It was nice to get the PNP Stryker, as it already had me set up with a good motor, prop, and ESC combination. At that point I couldn't even comprehend how the different C ratings would affect performance. Thankfully a few months ago a new friend lent me a 25C pack, while my 30C was charging. WOW what a difference in speed (in this case, lack thereof!)

I'm now at the point where I'm going to jump in and get a Habu 32. But I have many, many questions. I think I'll ask them over a couple posts so as not to overwhelm things here, but I'll start with a couple:

First of all, the discussion on servos. Why is everyone using the 85MGs when the 82MGS are faster by 29%, smaller by 8%, 13% lighter and virtually identical in torque (approx. 3% difference). Is it because of the bearing? Does the bearing help prevent slop, and therefore flutter? Does it help with centering? The recommended MC35 is a bit lighter, but it is weaker and slower than either of the Hitecs mentioned here, and it's bushed; so woudn't either Hitec suffice?

I understand that one fellow has over 60 flights with his 82MGs, and that is very reassuring, as they 82MSs are ever so slightly cheaper than the 85MGs; yet my friend who flies turbines has indicated that 130mph is about where he chooses to go with digitals. Would digitals be more prudent or are the 82s a ticking time bomb waiting to go off in the form of flutter at some point?

It's all very confusing to me. I really would like to keep the cost down, but not at the expense of putting a whole bunch of flying dollar signs at the risk of becoming a VERY expensive, and not very effective shovel. At the same time, I really do have a budget for this; if it gets over a certain amount, I simply could not justify the expense despite my great desire to have it.

The other question is in regards to the discussions regarding the BEC for supplementary Rx power. For me, I think it's pretty clear that I'll be going with the A123 pack, but why are people using a BEC (which is more expensive than a Vreg isn't it?) instead of simply using a voltage regulator? Please remember electric power is all so new to me, so please be kind!
Snowbird One is offline Find More Posts by Snowbird One
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:12 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Any of the servos you mentioned will work fine, the 85 is slightly more "robust" than the 82 and they drop right in. The 85HB has less slop than the MG version, IMHO only the nosewheel steering servo really needs MG's but I used them for flaps too. I used HB's for the flying surfaces to make them more precise. Nothing magic happens at 130 mph, this is a well designed/made airplane and as far as I know no one is having flutter problems. Servos don't stop or cause flutter. The BEC/regulator argument is an old one. First, if your ESC doesn't have a Battery Eliminator Circuit you either get a regulator that runs off your flight pack or use a seperate Rx battery. Some want to have a seperate battery for peace of mind some want to reduce weight and complexity and use the flight pack (that would be me). Of the separate Rx battery crowd some use a battery that can power the Rx directly and some use a regulator to reduce the flight pack battery voltage. They all work, they all have an equal chance of failure, very low.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:57 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I missed it but their selling price is the going rate on any site, some are actually cheaper, unless you are referring to kit with motor and fan, which I would put my own power setup in so this discount would not intrest me. Advantage hobby has it shipped for $342, best I have seen so far.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Oct 2004
376 Posts
I used all of the recommended servos, MC-35 and JR-368 for rudder and they work fine. Drop in place. Any of the servos you are talking about will work fine if they are very close to the size of the MC35 and 368. There isn't alot of extra room. As there are serveral people who already have a Habu flying with hitec servos they must fit. You should look at a hs-5085 for the rudder and the plastic gear hs-81 should work everywhere else. Maybe the flaps and the nose steering should get the HS-82MG as they may see more shock loading in use. Not sure why horizon recommends the better servo for rudder but why risk it. BTW typically a voltage regulator for use with a 2 cell lipo to drop the voltage alittle. They will not work with the 6 cell main pack for the habu. I am using the Castle Creations BEC and it seems to work just fine.
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:56 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
4,145 Posts
I too use the recommended servos. I am a believer in a seperate battery pack(usually an A-123 cells type)in my planes but to save weight I went with a CC BEC to save weight on the Habu. So far no problems except for a broken trunion on the front langing gear.

That MPX plane was fantastic....I might buy one.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:12 AM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I missed it but their selling price is the going rate on any site, some are actually cheaper, unless you are referring to kit with motor and fan, which I would put my own power setup in so this discount would not intrest me. Advantage hobby has it shipped for $342, best I have seen so far.

Maybe you did miss something
Just ran there numbers and got
$332 free shipping , that's $10 less than your best. Maybe I can't add.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
967 Posts
R/C planet $299 free shipping. Have you looked around, typed habu 32 sale in google. Easy
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Dec 2011
54 Posts
Sorry, still really confused!

I'm sorry, maybe I mis-worded it. I meant to say why use a SECOND BEC. You already have the one on the ESC, why get a second one, and cut one of the wires. Wouldn't a voltage regulator do the same thing? I really don't get it what does the SECOND BEC do that the voltage regulator wouldn't. And, yes, like I say, I'll get an A123 for redundancy, but I am just so curious about it.

I do not agree with the statement that a servo does not add to or prevent flutter. Sloppiness in any part of the linkage system CAN lead to flutter. A servo that has teeth that are not meshing nicely will certainly introduce 'slop' -no matter how little it may be; likewise, also will a shaft not firmly seated in a bushing or bearing. This CAN allow the control surface to begin to oscillate. Hit the right frequency, and you will experience flutter.

So by the predominant choice of the 85MG people are saying that it's better to have the heavier, slower 85MG because it has the ball bearing?? With so little understanding of how the ball bearing is an advantage I don't understand why they're choosing that over the 82MG. Not quite sure I understand the 'robust' statement, either. Robust because the shaft is supported by a ball bearing?

It's interesting to note that the recommended MC35s aren't anywhere near as good as any we are discussing here!

By the way, the www.servodatabase.com website is such a useful reference (as someone stated many hundreds of pages ago!). You can make your own comparison chart with just a click or two!

85HB? Is that another one? I couldn't find it in the servodatabase.com website.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
R/C planet $299 free shipping. Have you looked around, typed habu 32 sale in google. Easy

Their list price is $409.00. NOBODY has it listed for $409!! I hate it when companies artificially jack up the price, then try and tell you their giving you a HUGE savings. Grr!

Granted, it's still less than most, but as I'm looking through their site the 'List' prices are ludicrous.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Yea I googled it before your post and found it for the $299 you mentioned with free shipping...so far thats the best deal I have seen. Thanks 420
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:38 PM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
967 Posts
Quote:
Yea I googled it before your post and found it for the $299 you mentioned with free shipping...so far thats the best deal I have seen. Thanks 420
All good, hope you get one, I enjoy mine as much as I can.

I'm planning on cutting down a 90mm change sun 12 blade and putting it in a carbon fiber 80mm shroud with arc 2080kv , probably go with a 1800's kv for the finally build. I still like running 6s though and don't really have any plans to go bigger
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
865 Posts
I'm sorry, maybe I mis-worded it. I meant to say why use a SECOND BEC. You already have the one on the ESC, why get a second one, and cut one of the wires. Wouldn't a voltage regulator do the same thing? I really don't get it what does the SECOND BEC do that the voltage regulator wouldn't. And, yes, like I say, I'll get an A123 for redundancy, but I am just so curious about it.

Hi Snowbird
Been down this one. If you use the BEC on the ESC and the battery goes down ie.fails completly you loose the plane. So you can build in redundancy in a number of ways.
1) A123. I was going to do this but was put off by the fact that small servos Don't seem to like the higher voltage,particularly JR.I do believe the A123 cells are over 7 volts when it comes off the charger.I also think the 2 cell packs can only be got in larger mah.I think the smallest is 1100 MAH though I could be corrected on this So extra weight as well.
2)BEC.
The only reason you would use a seperate BEC is, if you were going to use it as a voltage regulator with a seperate battery. You can select the voltge of the Castle Creations on discussed here with there cable and software.If you were going to use an ordinary voltage regulator do you use a switching or linear?
3)2 cell lipo with regulator.
This is the route I have Choosen. I am going with a small 2 cell Lipo(700 Mah) and a Powerbox switch which has a built in regulator.I am relatively new to this stuff myself so I could be contradicted on anything I have said.I am no expert but it's the thought process i went through when I was trying to answer the same question.
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve.
PS the switch and battery should arrive this week.
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2