SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:03 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Jul 2011
155 Posts
I am working my way through this huge thread, any downside to using a castle ice2 120 hv esc with one of the 6s efflux megamotors? Can I use a bec pro to make up for some if the weight in place of a LiFe flight pack? Where is the best place to mount the 120?
Boston Bob is offline Find More Posts by Boston Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:03 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Does anyone sell a replacement gear legs set made out of real music wire? I've bounced mine enough times on landing that now even after a perfect landing I gotta pull the legs forward for the next flight. Probably a great time to try Tams struts but I really hate to add any more weight at this point, wire is fine just not chrome plated chinese noodle wire.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
Does anyone sell a replacement gear legs set made out of real music wire? I've bounced mine enough times on landing that now even after a perfect landing I gotta pull the legs forward for the next flight. Probably a great time to try Tams struts but I really hate to add any more weight at this point, wire is fine just not chrome plated chinese noodle wire.
Simply pull out leg once straight again, take off tire, heat until a light bluish color comes and goes and then drop in salty water.
This should get you back to original hardness so it doesn't bend so easily until the next time you hit it hard. Hotter and quicker quenching producing more brittle metal.
Anneal:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_%28metallurgy%29
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:01 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bob View Post
I am working my way through this huge thread, any downside to using a castle ice2 120 hv esc with one of the 6s efflux megamotors? Can I use a bec pro to make up for some if the weight in place of a LiFe flight pack? Where is the best place to mount the 120?
Hey Bob, I am using a cc120 HV mounted between the ducts to keep the motor to ESC wires as short as possible and not add any length to the ESC to battery end. I'm using a Stumax and HET combo for power though. I have not flown it yet as I am a few thousand miles away from my model but runs ups went well and on wot static tests I had no ESC heat issues. Ambient room temp was 27 degrees C or about 75 F. The ESC only warmed up to 38C.
I have cuts some slots at the side bases of my canopy to allow more air draw over the battery and ESC as it is pulled through the gap between the ducts.
Your BEcC should be fine but I went with a 700 mah LiFe pack on a shelf high up between the ducts. J
J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Last edited by jayb1rdz; Dec 21, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:02 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post

The stock wire weight 17 gram
The trailing struts weight 23 gram.
6 grams different per strut.

18 grams different for upgrade trailing struts.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:39 PM
United States, MA, Salem
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Hey Bob, I am using a cc120 HV mounted between the ducts to keep the motor to ESC wires as short as possible and not add any length to the ESC to battery end. I'm using a Stumax and HET combo for power though. I have not flown it yet as I am a few thousand miles away from my model but runs ups went well and on wot static tests I had no ESC heat issues. Ambient room temp was 27 degrees C or about 75 F. The ESC only warmed up to 38C.
I have cuts some slots at the side bases of my canopy to allow more air draw over the battery and ESC as it is pulled through the gap between the ducts.
Your BEcC should be fine but I went with a 700 mah LiFe pack on a shelf high up between the ducts. J
J
Thanks for the response - this doesn't measurably impact performance by disrupting airflow into the fan?
plainpilot is offline Find More Posts by plainpilot
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:56 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpilot View Post
Thanks for the response - this doesn't measurably impact performance by disrupting airflow into the fan?
Honestly, I don't know as I have not done a read before or after. I have always taken the view that it is better to have any disruption in the intake rather than the exit if you have to have any at all.

The Habu is built with a scoop underneath to help draw air from the gap between the ducts over the esc and packs. When I rev the fan there is a very noticeable suck on the canopy. I am not the worlds neatest builder so I opted to aid air flow by allowing more air though the canopy..... it's almost invisible, rather than going on an engineering mission to cut more scoops or add more caps.....which I was bound to stuff up.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
i think there is a slot cut in the intakes tubing where u can mount a thin esc otherwise i was thinking that the fan would suck air through the slot and would flow through the wheel well.

i was going to use the CC ice 100 so im not sure where that will mount yet
spyda00 is offline Find More Posts by spyda00
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:45 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post
i think there is a slot cut in the intakes tubing where u can mount a thin esc otherwise i was thinking that the fan would suck air through the slot and would flow through the wheel well.

What about adding a micro fan to the top of the heat sink like car ESC's?
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
maybe i think it would be a lot of weight and the air flow into the habu would be faster than the fan could deliver but i could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
What about adding a micro fan to the top of the heat sink like car ESC's?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:33 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyda00 View Post
Same here, so what is the consensus on where to mount the ice 100? Between the intake?
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:57 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
1,063 Posts
ill have another look tonight but ithink there is a spot on the floor infront of the hole in the intake for stock esc
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:17 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,996 Posts
From memory my Ice 120 HV is on edge between the ducts motor wires near the floor and battery wires high. and it is velroed to the duct right in front of the gap.....but not blocking it.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
I have an old CC 85HV sitting between the ducts aft of the battery tray. It just sits there, when the battery is in and wires connected and canopy on it isn't going anywhere! Stays pretty cool too and I don't have a duct or fan. The Stumax on 6s is pulling 85A WOT and I fly 5 min. It should be hot but it really isn't too bad so I recommend try a vanilla setup at first.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Plus 18 gram for a set of Tam struts sounds pretty good! I would have guessed that times three. Let's see if I get any money for Christmas! Still expensive so they better be good, anyone running these and how do you like em? Do they help with the dreaded bounces?