SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Mine is mint and built right. I flew mine again today.

While 5 and 30 minute epoxy is drying, you can skip steps to complete other parts. I can't imagine waiting for the epoxy to dry before proceeding to another step (perhaps not in order even). You can make linkages, gear doors, install electronics, etc. There is a lot that you can be doing, so there should be no lull period.

I am sure that James in Tam's shop can build one in a day, and maybe get through two of them. He has built 30+ of these.
James is also getting paid for building these Habu's fast Jim. Other then a pay-check, there is no possible reason I can think of to build this Jet in one day.Taking your time and getting it correct is the only to fly.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:27 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
I am still running the stock retracts on the stock gear. You need some pretty hard landings to break the stock gear. Maybe the guys that are having problems are landing on rough ground or grass? I have only been landing on asphalt so far.
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:36 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
We can built in 12 hrs. But that us doing everydays and learn all the trick to save time.
Average good builder might need 20 hrs or more doing it first time.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, Palm Desert
Joined Jan 2009
137 Posts
build time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
We can built in 12 hrs. But that us doing everydays and learn all the trick to save time.
Average good builder might need 20 hrs or more doing it first time.
This is my 3rd glass jet and I take my time. I probably had 25 hrs in it, came out just about perfect. I actually had time wasted on the stab assembly and finally epoxied the stabs to the fuse, don't really see the point in having them removable anyway. Stephan
stmbike is offline Find More Posts by stmbike
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Right, Tam may be able to do it with a PNP TJ80 thats ready to drop in. If your running a stock fan/motor? Heck it would take you half the day just to assemble the fan and get it properly balanced, let alone building the airplane! I still do not believe that a quality built stock Habu could be done in 1 day. Its just not possible in my opinion.
Boothcj is offline Find More Posts by Boothcj
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothcj View Post
Right, Tam may be able to do it with a PNP TJ80 thats ready to drop in. If your running a stock fan/motor? Heck it would take you half the day just to assemble the fan and get it properly balanced, let alone building the airplane! I still do not believe that a quality built stock Habu could be done in 1 day. Its just not possible in my opinion.
Yes that with TJ80 PNP.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:25 PM
RickyBoy
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Flying Helis only for two weekends now Rick.My Habu32-DF is waiting for a new Nose Gear retract"Out of Stock". Putting together a 5S Foamy Habu now and waiting on my 70mm Sapac Viper Jet to come up from Florida aswell.Im in kind of a rutt with my EDF Jets and really miss flying the Habu. Im actually starting to get pretty good on the sticks...landings are getting smoother and throttle management coming along,I have a heavy thumb. Want to see your BVM Electra fly Rick..gorgeous Jet...
You should come to Wingham Jets next summer. I"m also working on a naked Habu with retracts and will paint it to match the BVM
RickyBoy49 is offline Find More Posts by RickyBoy49
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:32 PM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,128 Posts
I have been sitting on the side lines keeping my mouth uncharacteristic shut. It took me 3 nights and about 6 hours on Saturday to build mine. Now having said that I would not bet against Jim or Tam. I watched John Redman build a Maverick Pro in a couple days ready for paint. It was my jet. I can't do that but there are those who can.

I test flew mine yesterday late. Other than being a little nose heavy it flew just like my Maverick Pro and very similar to my old Bandit.

Thank God I fly at our airport, after touch down it rolled 600'. I'm workin on it.

Jim, I still need catch up to you guys and take care of my little debt.
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:22 PM
United States, WV, Wayne
Joined Jun 2011
41 Posts
Well, I had a successful maiden on my Habu 32 today! The first flight was short. All I did was take off, get it trimmed, then try and land. I kept it short to give myself enough juice for a few overshot landings. I added a bit more flaps for the second flight and it was great! I flew off of a grass field with Tam's struts and they worked perfectly (even with me coming in a bit hot both times). I am extremely happy with this jet! I am also happy with this forum and everyone's helpful info ; it helped a lot during the build/setup of the plane!

I do have a question about the Castle Link software since I have never used it before. I am running Tam's plug-and-play 1509 2y motor with the Castle ESC. I just installed the newest version of Castle Link on my computer and was wondering this: when I plug the ESC into the computer will the newest version of the software change (reset?) any of the settings on the ESC? I don't want to change anything since Tam does all of that before he ships the fan from his shop. I just want to look at the data collected during the flights. Thanks in advance for any help!
GPstar87 is offline Find More Posts by GPstar87
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:35 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPstar87 View Post
Well, I had a successful maiden on my Habu 32 today! The first flight was short. All I did was take off, get it trimmed, then try and land. I kept it short to give myself enough juice for a few overshot landings. I added a bit more flaps for the second flight and it was great! I flew off of a grass field with Tam's struts and they worked perfectly (even with me coming in a bit hot both times). I am extremely happy with this jet! I am also happy with this forum and everyone's helpful info ; it helped a lot during the build/setup of the plane!

I do have a question about the Castle Link software since I have never used it before. I am running Tam's plug-and-play 1509 2y motor with the Castle ESC. I just installed the newest version of Castle Link on my computer and was wondering this: when I plug the ESC into the computer will the newest version of the software change (reset?) any of the settings on the ESC? I don't want to change anything since Tam does all of that before he ships the fan from his shop. I just want to look at the data collected during the flights. Thanks in advance for any help!
It will not change any setting unless you do it by accident and hit update.
Goes to the data link you can download the data.
Goes to edit and change the motor pole and kv.
4 poles and 1820KV that what you should edited to get the right RPM reading.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:02 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
James is also getting paid for building these Habu's fast Jim. Other then a pay-check, there is no possible reason I can think of to build this Jet in one day.Taking your time and getting it correct is the only to fly.
I feel I took my time when I built mine. I didn't feel I rushed any part of it. I did read the manual a few days ahead of time, so I knew what steps could be done in what order while things were drying. All of the contol horns are glued for all surfaces at the same time. While that is drying, I was making linkages. After that I was epoxying something else. There was always something drying and something else being assembled.

I have built a LOT of planes in the last 37 years through, so I have a pretty good idea of how to save time and build things correctly.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:48 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I feel I took my time when I built mine. I didn't feel I rushed any part of it. I did read the manual a few days ahead of time, so I knew what steps could be done in what order while things were drying. All of the contol horns are glued for all surfaces at the same time. While that is drying, I was making linkages. After that I was epoxying something else. There was always something drying and something else being assembled.

I have built a LOT of planes in the last 37 years through, so I have a pretty good idea of how to save time and build things correctly.
Us green horns get shocked with that kind of info Jim I guess after 37 years you could build them faster then me blind folded.You skills and knowledge of electric RC is PHD material.I personally respect your knowledge and posts,I meant no dis-respect Jim!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:50 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjohnson View Post
I think the reason he asked is that the Habu kit came with extra strong struts to be used in place of those that came with the 15-25 retracts. That should have helped the bending problem.
Right!..All according to the manual
rod..did you replaced them?

Andy.
hypstar is offline Find More Posts by hypstar
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:54 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
diamond back scheme! sweeeet!!!!! cant wait to see how it turns out!

is that monocote dove gray, or???

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dave View Post
Guys, Love the Habu, can stand that they all look the same...

So...makeover time....(a work in progress)
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,232 Posts
That's how I build planes too Jim
When something is drying I work on a different part. Most of the time I'll have three tables setup, one for the fuse, one with wing, then the fan and electronics... But like you I've been slapping these babies out for 20 years

if I want them done fast I can... but for the most part I drag my feet

This Habu had to be one of the easiest I've done in sometime, which is cool If I crash it I know I can build a new one fast

Mine is assembled right

now building a kit I spend to much time thinking things out.. but I'm not in a rush when I'm doing that stuff. I just have fun and take my time
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101