Yes Bri thanks for the great info!

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:24 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,249 Posts
No problem guys, figured it would save you guys from buying a bunch of colors like i had to. I am finishing my nose gear door with a new front strut i made, once done i will post a pic so you guys can see the paint.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:16 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I bought some inexpensive spring loaded struts from PWRC for the Habu...For only $13 for all three I decided they were cheap enough to try....They are actually pretty well made...The rating for the struts is 6.6 lbs (3kg) but you can put stonger springs in them...The struts are about 3mm shorter than the stock wire struts...I could use them as is or place a spacer between the top of the strut and the trunion...I really prefer to have the strut butt up against the trunion to keep the strut pin from possibly bending...If I use them as is and butt them against the trunion the tire possibly may not clear the wheel wells in the wings...I'm seriously thinking about replacing the small wheel wells with slightly larger in diameter ones made from the bottom of an ABS plastic cup or some other material...In my opinion the stock wheel wells are no where near large enough to allow for wire struts to bend under normal grass field ops...

Here is a pic of the strut...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:51 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I bought some inexpensive spring loaded struts from PWRC for the Habu...For only $13 for all three I decided they were cheap enough to try....They are actually pretty well made...The rating for the struts is 6.6 lbs (3kg) but you can put stonger springs in them...The struts are about 3mm shorter than the stock wire struts...I could use them as is or place a spacer between the top of the strut and the trunion...I really prefer to have the strut butt up against the trunion to keep the strut pin from possibly bending...If I use them as is and butt them against the trunion the tire possibly may not clear the wheel wells in the wings...I'm seriously thinking about replacing the small wheel wells with slightly larger in diameter ones made from the bottom of an ABS plastic cup or some other material...In my opinion the stock wheel wells are no where near large enough to allow for wire struts to bend under normal grass field ops...

Here is a pic of the strut...

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Buy some nylon rod, roughly 1/4" or 3/8" diameter, whatever matches the struts. Cut the rod with a razor saw to the thickness of the gap and drill out the middle to the diameter of the pins, you can cut it a little thick and then sand it down on a flat sheet of sandpaper to get a more accurate and repeatable thickness. Not only will this take up the gap and give the pins a better chance of survival but it will have some flex and act as a little bit of a shock absorber for those less than perfect landings. Something like this should work:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=30298

Of course, you can also use a stack of suitably sized nylon washers but I find the custom made spacer to be a cleaner and sturdier installation.

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:23 AM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
843 Posts
hi Guys
I have just started to put one of these together.
going with one of Stus Fans on 6S.I have got a set of Tams upgrades for the Eflite electric retracts also.I read here some where while flicking through the thread that it is best to have the steering pull pull but i cant remember where.
could someone point me in the right direction or tell me how to do it.
Happy flying
steve
PS any one ever fit bigger wheels ?2 inch?
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Last edited by STEVEAIR2; Sep 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:12 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Got to see and hear the Stumax fan in Ronnie's Habu today at LFE. Turns the Habu into a mini Spark! I made my own personal decision about whether it is worth it or not about 16 seconds into the flight. Course Ronnie's flying skills didn't hurt, what a great combo, even on 6s. I think Stumax is gonna make some bucks in this hobby biz with E-flight providing the airframes.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I bought some inexpensive spring loaded struts from PWRC for the Habu...For only $13 for all three I decided they were cheap enough to try....They are actually pretty well made...The rating for the struts is 6.6 lbs (3kg) but you can put stonger springs in them...The struts are about 3mm shorter than the stock wire struts...I could use them as is or place a spacer between the top of the strut and the trunion...I really prefer to have the strut butt up against the trunion to keep the strut pin from possibly bending...If I use them as is and butt them against the trunion the tire possibly may not clear the wheel wells in the wings...I'm seriously thinking about replacing the small wheel wells with slightly larger in diameter ones made from the bottom of an ABS plastic cup or some other material...In my opinion the stock wheel wells are no where near large enough to allow for wire struts to bend under normal grass field ops..

Kevin
Hi Kevin. Yes I totally agree about the wheel wells being way to small. I have to bend my struts back every single flight so they fit in the wells and this is off pavement! Not only that but this is after very smooth landings, it's not like I'm slamming the plane onto the Tarmac at all. It would have been nice if the wells were a bit bigger to accommodate the struts in the event they bend a bit during normal operations.

S
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:06 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
Hi Kevin. Yes I totally agree about the wheel wells being way to small. I have to bend my struts back every single flight so they fit in the wells and this is off pavement! Not only that but this is after very smooth landings, it's not like I'm slamming the plane onto the Tarmac at all. It would have been nice if the wells were a bit bigger to accommodate the struts in the event they bend a bit during normal operations.

S
You can always make them bigger..kind of a Pain..but ...the Tam struts seem to need very little adjustment Smaze! Well worth the investment...
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Yes - Tam's struts would be a very wise investment indeed. I will absolutely have them when I do the new Phantom coming out. Plus the scale look will be sweet with the F-4. I am seriously considering retrofitting the Habu with Tam's struts as well

S
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:36 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,346 Posts
Hey Smaze...Check out this new telemetry system listed under Optional accessories in the E-Flite F-4 Phantom section...You can use it on Apple I-Pod,I Touch,I-Pod etc... The F-4 looks good!! Taking away those double wheels on the phantom will kind of hurt the look?? No??
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMTR1000
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
I texted Tam the other day and I think he has a dual-wheel option available for his struts so that would be jus the ticket for the Phantom. Yea we certainly want to find a 2-wheel nose set up for sure. Gotta keep it scale ya know

S
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:09 PM
RickyBoy
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
344 Posts
Love the F-4
Hey ZACATTACK how's the flyin
RickyBoy49 is offline Find More Posts by RickyBoy49
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:51 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Quote:
Got to see and hear the Stumax fan in Ronnie's Habu today at LFE. Turns the Habu into a mini Spark! I made my own personal decision about whether it is worth it or not about 16 seconds into the flight. Course Ronnie's flying skills didn't hurt, what a great combo, even on 6s. I think Stumax is gonna make some bucks in this hobby biz with E-flight providing the airframes.
Thanks Eric!
I had a feeling you were going to like that little baby! The way you are flying the hell out of yours you are really going to enjoy the SM 80's extra vertical... it's pretty much unlimited on even 6s as you saw.

I put one more flight in after you left but man the wind was really kicking up so I called it quits after that. I sent a text to Tom and he is on board too for a SM 80....now we just need chris keith on board and will have four of them all sounding sweet!!

Don't know if you caught my review thread on the SM 80 but you might find the head to head test agaisnt the stock setup interesting:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504980

I sent a email to Stu to get the ball rolling... the hard part it the fan looks so cool you don't want to install it

Can't wait for the F-4!!
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
Canada, AB, Spruce Grove
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
PS any one ever fit bigger wheels ?2 inch?[/QUOTE]

cant remember about the steering thing but i've got 2" wheels on mine and they seem to be good for the grass. i have to straighten out the eflite gear after every flight and the thick grass is after breaking the corners off the gear doors or it coulda been after a couple of bounces... it bounces when taking off or landing most times because of the uneven ground
rod22 is offline Find More Posts by rod22
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:18 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
481 Posts
i have to straighten out the eflite gear after every flight

rod..even with the original wire?(not the ones that comes with the retracts)

Andy.
hypstar is offline Find More Posts by hypstar