HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:23 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,403 Posts
That's where mine is mounted. Under the battery tray, you could say I'm running a hotter setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335driver View Post
Anyone cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and mount the ESC there? E-flite shows that mod for their F-86. It's worked for me here in the heat of Texas. Just a thought..
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:55 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Just don't yank on the elevator at high speeds, there is a high speed stall possibility but its pretty rare and its due to the pilot, its a fairly heavy for its size jet and needs to be flown with respect, not yanking controls like you could with a foamie.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:02 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Good post. As all jet pilots know, the wings can stall at any airspeed since a stall occurs when the wings are rotated beyond a critical angle of attack (or something like that, please correct if you know better). A lot of us also fly aerobats and nearly all of the aerobatic ARFs sold today are 3D capable and so designed to fly "on the prop," beyond the critical angle of attack. Our EDF jets (not talking thrust vectoring here) are not really designed for flight beyond the critical AOA where stalls occur and mainly fly "on the wing," correct? Anyway, good flying! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Last edited by danamania; Sep 17, 2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typos
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
No it's completely forgiving. I fly with high rates on aileron and low rates on elevator. I have yanked hard on the thing but since I have low rate elevator there's no problem at least the way I fly. Don't be worried at all about the Habu. Seriously it is an absolute sweetheart with zero bad tendencies

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
The plane is fine, all good,It's the pilots in those videos making the plane stall and fall out the sky.Trying stupid things on stupid speeds.Thats all it is...The Habu is a real pussy-cat sport flier and should be flown like as such. I'm no pro at EDF and if I can fly this jet without incident,anyone can..I love this thing!!

Thanks Guys! I was just wondering if I was over-reacting. It seems that I was. I flown many many jets, it just caught me off guard. There must be a lot of idiots out there. LOL.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:08 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,293 Posts
And this is one problem when nice jets like this become affordable to all. Anyone that wants a je gets one. Then you see all the weird videos popping up that could be anything from builder error, wrong CG, or just plain pilot error. Just because you can hover a piece of foam is by no means a license to fly a 150 mph jet. Different set of skills needed to build and fly one of these. Not that its hard, its just different than a foam park flyer or Heli.
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
And this is one problem when nice jets like this become affordable to all. Anyone that wants a je gets one. Then you see all the weird videos popping up that could be anything from builder error, wrong CG, or just plain pilot error. Just because you can hover a piece of foam is by no means a license to fly a 150 mph jet. Different set of skills needed to build and fly one of these. Not that its hard, its just different than a foam park flyer or Heli.
The fastest I've flown was my 90mm FlyFly Hawker Hunter @ 125mph. For a large 90mm foamie, thats not bad.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,293 Posts
In fact I promose you this plane flies nicer than that Hunter
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,157 Posts
Really? That Hunter flew pretty dang nice.

FlyFly Hawker Hunter 125MPH (2 min 58 sec)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
Century City, CA
Joined Jan 2004
246 Posts
Habu32 ESC Cooling Trick

OK, well I had this old Jeti77Opto+ ESC and wanted to run it since I am pulling 66AMPS at full wide open on 6S. For my maiden and 2nd flight the ESC cut out during flight, wouldn't restart and forced a few quick landings.

I took the plane home and used a Dremel to cut out a rectangle in the fiberglass intake, just the same size as the heatsink for the ESC and used (micro balloons) epoxy to create an airtight thick seal. I took the plane to the field on a very hot day and made 3 flights with no cut outs at all. This worked pretty well, thank you Ron (Apollo Field) for the advice.

Here's a quick picture of where I glued the vented ESC in the fuselage. This puts it right in the air path for the intake and did the trick!
lebdog is offline Find More Posts by lebdog
Last edited by lebdog; Sep 17, 2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,157 Posts
Lebdog, thanks for the pic. This will be very useful for me.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
That's all I flew before the Habu DF, Foam Habus and Helis. If you have a good simulator and have a good uderstanding of flight behaviour,this jet is no problem to fly,just take it easy and learn..NOW to land it, is where the men get seperated from the boys.You just dont cut the power and float this thing in..The thing about speed is once you get use to going 140-150Mph its just seems like it's normal after a while and does'nt seem that fast anymore!!?? Does that make sense?? Next Level Please!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Sep 18, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 06:20 AM
Hampton/Newport News/Yorktown
Joined Oct 2009
15 Posts
hey guys
I'm only halfway done reading this thread so forgive me if I repeat someone. I noticed that it is easier to get these wheel bushings in if you remove the blade from an xacto knife in use it as an " installation tool". this way you can tap it in with a hammer.
bmadden is offline Find More Posts by bmadden
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,857 Posts
Good idea on the controller install Lebdog.....thanks.

My Habu has been sitting in the corner finished and waiting for a replacement CC 100 HV. Decided to use one of the new CC 120HV controllers which I just received from Castle. I figured the little bit of weight difference between the 100 and the 120 would not be a big deal in the HAbu and I surely would not need to worry about over taxing the controller. I will be installing the controller under the battery tray. So my Habu maiden will be this coming week.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:00 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadden View Post
hey guys
I'm only halfway done reading this thread so forgive me if I repeat someone. I noticed that it is easier to get these wheel bushings in if you remove the blade from an xacto knife in use it as an " installation tool". this way you can tap it in with a hammer.
These bushings have come-up lots of times before..I sanded the inside of the wheel-hub until the bushing just presses in with no effort.if you notice,the plastic bushing spins great on the spindle,when the bushing gets pressed into the wheel,the wheel don't turn and modeller's like to drill out the center of the plastic bushing.Try sanding the wheel hub...no drilling required.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
I flew mine today for the first time with Tams struts installed and what a difference they make The airplane handles so much better in the grass its not even funny. I drilled my bushings out with a 5/32 bit(drill press) and then pressed in a piece of brass tubing that fit the axles perfect. Now I have a half decent bushing that run really smooth. Im probably going to buy Tams wheels eventually but will see how these hold up. Batteries seem to be breaking in as well cause it seems to be hauling the mail now Overall I couldnt be happier with this jet! It really is so much fun to fly
Boothcj is offline Find More Posts by Boothcj