HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:09 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I think you are confused here. I don't care if your Life cells have absolutely perfect balance. They are a very low C rating compared to A123 brand batteries, making them dangerous in applications using more than 6 servos.

If the A123 came from our shop, it was definitely checked before packaged. The A123 packs plug into A123 chargers, but they require a balance plug converter for standard balancers.
I'm pretty sure it was something I did. And sorry for hanging you out to dry Ron

I actually have a question for the A123 experts. Is there a possibility that the battery could be damaged if it is plugged in to a receiver when the ESC throttle lead is also plugged in WITHOUT the internal BEC deactivated? The reason I ask is we plugged in the A123 to the receiver with the ICE 100's internal BEC still active. Once we realized that we had not pulled the center wire from the ESC's throttle lead we pulled it, plugged back in the A123 it no longer worked. Pretty weird coincidence??

S
smaze17 is offline Find More Posts by smaze17
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:32 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,291 Posts
Several guys run both a RX battery and a BEC for redundancy so should not be an issue!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:55 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Several guys run both a RX battery and a BEC for redundancy so should not be an issue!
This possibility has always interested me. However, CC does not recommend it. For example, they say:

NOTE: CC BEC Pro should never be operated in series or parallel with another BEC or backup receiver pack connected to the RX/Servo side of the circuit.
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

Does anyone know why this is so? Are all BECs coming with similar statements?
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaze17 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was something I did. And sorry for hanging you out to dry Ron

I actually have a question for the A123 experts. Is there a possibility that the battery could be damaged if it is plugged in to a receiver when the ESC throttle lead is also plugged in WITHOUT the internal BEC deactivated? The reason I ask is we plugged in the A123 to the receiver with the ICE 100's internal BEC still active. Once we realized that we had not pulled the center wire from the ESC's throttle lead we pulled it, plugged back in the A123 it no longer worked. Pretty weird coincidence??

S
So, the A123 did in fact work and then died after shorting it with another input source?
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
This possibility has always interested me. However, CC does not recommend it. For example, they say:

NOTE: CC BEC Pro should never be operated in series or parallel with another BEC or backup receiver pack connected to the RX/Servo side of the circuit.

Well I know for a fact another member on here is using both a RX pack and a Bec so if one fails the other is a backup, he went to this after loosing a jet over a BEC failure... Not sure why that would not work. If the reciever has dual battery inputs you should be fine. Now if it is being used in a RX that does not have dual battery inputs well thats a different story???
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
173 Posts
Quote:

The Kontronik say in their documentation that you should plug a Rx battery into the receiver as a backup when using their Jive ESC.
wearypanda is offline Find More Posts by wearypanda
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:08 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Good to know that there are differences going from one brand of ESC/BEC to another. This is from CC's ESC documentation:

"*Note 1: If you choose to use an RX battery pack or any form of external BEC device, you MUST disconnect the RED WIRE in the throttle cable from the Phoenix, Phoenix Ice, Phoenix Ice Lite ESCs." http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
So, the A123 did in fact work and then died after shorting it with another input source?
Well, I really can't answer that with any certainty. I would have to say yes it was but quite frankly I don't really remember. Not sure if we actually moved any of the control surfaces. I believe it was working though then after we removed the wire from the ESC's throttle lead it stopped working. This may be simply a coincidence however.

S
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Well I know for a fact another member on here is using both a RX pack and a Bec so if one fails the other is a backup, he went to this after loosing a jet over a BEC failure... Not sure why that would not work. If the reciever has dual battery inputs you should be fine. Now if it is being used in a RX that does not have dual battery inputs well thats a different story???
I believe every receiver has dual battery inputs sort of by default as you can insert a battery lead into any open port.

S
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Good to know that there are differences going from one brand of ESC/BEC to another. This is from CC's ESC documentation:

"*Note 1: If you choose to use an RX battery pack or any form of external BEC device, you MUST disconnect the RED WIRE in the throttle cable from the Phoenix, Phoenix Ice, Phoenix Ice Lite ESCs." http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...User_Guide.pdf
This dosent make sense I know of alot of guys doing this with the CC 10 amp BEC????? It should be no different than hooking in 2 batteries??
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
I believe every receiver has dual battery inputs sort of by default as you can insert a battery lead into any open port.

S
Nice try, but unless it has the proper isolation circuitry, the bad battery will pull the other good battery down.
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,291 Posts
Quote:

S
Yes and no, according to Horizon on the JR 921 and some of their other RX's the dual power inputs are isolated including the grounding. This is why Jim Drew uses a Y connector to allow his 1 battery to supply power to both sides of the RX as a back up. That is not the case for other models.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
473 Posts
Quote:
Where is the Weedwackers field I was not aware of it? I fly at the Fallbrook Flyers Club in Valley Center, No asphault but we have 600 feet of rolled DG. So how is the runway at the Weedwackers field? Is it good for the Habu?
Here is our runway:

Google Maps Link

Our website is:

www.weedwackers.org.

We have about 300-400' of asphalt. To the east we have a polo field that is pretty sensitive to overflights so the approach is a bit compressed. The asphalt is in pretty good shape and is a great surface for jets with small wheels.

scott.
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:23 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
Nice try, but unless it has the proper isolation circuitry, the bad battery will pull the other good battery down.
I know that the JR 921 does and so do their pawer safe models.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:24 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyG View Post
Here is our runway:

Google Maps Link

Our website is:

www.weedwackers.org.

We have about 300-400' of asphalt. To the east we have a polo field that is pretty sensitive to overflights so the approach is a bit compressed. The asphalt is in pretty good shape and is a great surface for jets with small wheels.

scott.
Nice! I will have to come check it out sometime!