HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:39 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Crazy View Post
Jim and anyone else, iv moved over to the A123 packs and im wondering how you connect them to the receiver,
there are 3 leads,
1. deans plug,
2. balance plug and
3. a small lied with a servo connector on the end.

I know some of you are using switches and some arent, im not keen to use a switch, do you guys just get one of these and put it directly into your receiver?
I use a plug similar to your first picture... just a Deans Ultra male connector to a JST servo connector. The servo connector stays in the receiver (is actually shoo-goo'd along with the rest of the servo plugs in the receiver). You just plug the Deans connector from the A123 to the harness as your "switch".
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:43 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
OK, I put two flights on the Habu today.. holy frick'n nose heavy! I had CG at 107mm, and it needed 1/8" of up trim to flight flat. Got the flaps worked out but opted to land without them on the first landing. No brainer.. Second flight I moved CG to 115mm and it still needed at least 1/16" of up trim. Even with this trim, a perfect flat/level pass (starting at 50' AGL) to 10' was exactly 130MPH on the radar gun. Not bad for a 100% stock setup with no nose gear door (just the funky cutout thing) and the stock partial main gear doors.

Flys like it is on rails. This is actually a really good plane for practicing speed runs. It's tiny, so really far away it resembles how far you have to go with the speed planes to start your run. I like it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Aug 03, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
OK, I put two flights on the Habu today.. holy frick'n nose heavy! I had CG at 107mm, and it needed 1/8" of up trim to flight flat. Got the flaps worked out but opted to land without them on the first landing. No brainer.. Second flight I moved CG to 100mm and it still needed at least 1/16" of up trim. Even with this trim, a perfect flat/level pass (starting at 50' AGL) to 10' was exactly 130MPH on the radar gun. Not bad for a 100% stock setup with no nose gear door (just the funky cutout thing) and the stock partial main gear doors.

Flys like it is on rails. This is actually a really good plane for practicing speed runs. It's tiny, so really far away it resembles how far you have to go with the speed planes to start your run. I like it.
It looks like your second CG was a typo. If it was what CG did you end up at for the 1/16th of up trim?

Thanks,
scott.
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:11 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
ACK! Yes, corrected!! 115mm is still too nose heavy. That needs 1/16th up trim. I am measing from the leading edge of the wing root at the fuse to the center of the fuse/wing, using calipers. So, I believe that is pretty accurate. I think it will end up quite aways back in order to be able to fly nearly hands off while inverted. It will also pick up a bunch of speed too by moving the CG back - not to mention getting rid of the trim which is scrubbing off quite a bit of speed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:22 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,802 Posts
HAHA I was gonna say... that would have been super nose heavy. Glad you like it Jim. They do fly great. I'd say I'm close to 120mm back.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:54 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
That makes sense. I figure I will end up just a bit tail heavy (how I like all of my aircraft) so it flies neutral upright and inverted. I do like the way it tracks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:52 PM
RickyBoy
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
349 Posts
Hey Tam received my nose strut for my BVM Electra.....all ready to go Maiden this weekend. Thanks again Rick
RickyBoy49 is offline Find More Posts by RickyBoy49
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:20 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Jim, all, thanks for sharing the CG data. Will be helpful later in my build. Just got started tonight and the aileron servos are done. Habu-32, Nice

Tam, thanks for the fan. The TJ80 arrived today. It's awesome looking! I won't get to install it for a few days or a week or so. Meanwhile, is the Ice programmed? No worries, I can do. Anyone who would care to share their ESC settings, thanks in advance (my first inrunner). Good flying! Dana
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, PA, Jim Thorpe
Joined Aug 2009
167 Posts
Tams fans are all set up to just hook up and fly
cableguy351 is offline Find More Posts by cableguy351
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:13 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post
Jim, all, thanks for sharing the CG data. Will be helpful later in my build. Just got started tonight and the aileron servos are done. Habu-32, Nice

Tam, thanks for the fan. The TJ80 arrived today. It's awesome looking! I won't get to install it for a few days or a week or so. Meanwhile, is the Ice programmed? No worries, I can do. Anyone who would care to share their ESC settings, thanks in advance (my first inrunner). Good flying! Dana
Dont touch the settings is what Tam told me..Plug in and Fly..If you have a problem..send it back to him.. That's the response I got Dana!! If you need to know my settings PMME..I'll scan&send the CC Data sheet with my 1409/2Y settings... Your gonna like it Dude!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:00 AM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,675 Posts
Hi EDF Crazy,

Where did you find those adapters for A123 reciever packs?

Thanks! Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Aug 04, 2011, 02:24 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,802 Posts
For the guys running the stock setup with castle ice 100. What are you esc settings?
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:38 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee View Post
Hi EDF Crazy,

Where did you find those adapters for A123 reciever packs?

Thanks! Mickydee
I found it on this website towards the bottom of the page. Its a uk based site, im sure someone will sell these in the USA

http://www.electricwingman.com/lithi...ter-cable.aspx
EDF Crazy is online now Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Aug 04, 2011, 08:33 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
4,147 Posts
Thanks for the link EDF...............I think I saw them on a U.S. site somewhere. I usually solder a connector on the A-123 packs but this adapter would make life easier.
Madmax1965 is online now Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danamania View Post

Your set up is 1509 3D.
I had set up low timing and 8pwk for effecient.
You can take a peak and save it. But don't chance anything.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets