HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:57 PM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Anyone care to let me know what a good 8s setup would be? If I go 8s, are any mods needed? Can the stock fan handle it?

80mm is an oddball to me, I am used to 70mm and 90mm.

The first thing I done like about the stock fan is the sound.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:16 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76 View Post
Anyone care to let me know what a good 8s setup would be? If I go 8s, are any mods needed? Can the stock fan handle it?

80mm is an oddball to me, I am used to 70mm and 90mm.

The first thing I done like about the stock fan is the sound.
Contact Gary at effluxrc.com.He has motors for the stock fan..A Mega motor for 6S and 8S...Cheers! Theres videos of them in here too..dont have the page??!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Stock Fan can handle 8S.
Sounds like you didn't balance the rotor. Mine was off, Balanced it sounds good...
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:18 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Stock Fan can handle 8S.
Sounds like you didn't balance the rotor. Mine was off, Balanced it sounds good...
Really..I thought it was rated for 6S?? Spent all that money upgrading to 8S for nothing!!??Get the proper stuff in there before dropping in 8S batteries Buddy!! Trust Me!! Maybe the Fan can hadle it but not the rest of those stock compenents! On 8S stock you better bring along marsh-mellows and weiners ..your gonna have a BBQ!! There's a video in here on a guy dropping in 8S into a stock-set-up..he fried the motor...I'll get the thread posting and edit it in here..
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Jun 16, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:47 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,764 Posts
Hi,

You guys who are using a separate receiver pack, how many mAh are you using per flight approx?

Alex
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:16 AM
Tacoma, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2fly! View Post
Hi,

You guys who are using a separate receiver pack, how many mAh are you using per flight approx?

Alex
Good question. Also would those of you running a separate rcvr pack mind telling us the size.
50mph is offline Find More Posts by 50mph
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:39 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Stock Fan can handle 8S.
Hope I won't sound too dumb, but how do you balance it ? I have a dubro prop balancer.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
How does this habu fly compared to the e-flite sabre? The sabre needed about 300 feet to take off and about 400 feet to roll to a stop on its hot landings that it requires. I've flown that sabre about 6 times and the gear sysem is pathetic, any steering during takeoff will result in it tipping over and dragging a wing tip.

Has anyone here flown both?
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Really..I thought it was rated for 6S?? Spent all that money upgrading to 8S for nothing!!??Get the proper stuff in there before dropping in 8S batteries Buddy!! Trust Me!! Maybe the Fan can hadle it but not the rest of those stock compenents! On 8S stock you better bring along marsh-mellows and weiners ..your gonna have a BBQ!!
What are you talking about? Gary's motor was made to handle 8s. And i don't really know anyone using the stock esc as they got recalled anyway... because the bec couldn't handle the amount of servos. Other than motor and esc everything else can "handle" 8s.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:01 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Come to the basin my friend.
I'm at the basin every weekend and I'm the only 32 flying. Could sure use some company
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:21 AM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
i am using a 750mah nimh pack for my rx, also using the stock esc with the bec still enabled, i just ran the esc(throttle)lead to the throttle channel and ran the rx battery lead into a switch with built in led meter then to the battery channel on the spektrum rx. basically running them in parallel so if the bec failed or voltage dropped below min on the bec the battery acts as a backup and barely adds any weight. when i get ready to fly i plug in the lipo, wait for the tones, turn on the bec switch on the stock esc, making sure it still works and powers all the servos, then turn on the switch from the rx pack.
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:14 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
What are you talking about? Gary's motor was made to handle 8s. And i don't really know anyone using the stock esc as they got recalled anyway... because the bec couldn't handle the amount of servos. Other than motor and esc everything else can "handle" 8s.
Read things carefully before you impetuously reply,please..Thank-You! Read post #3122.. Cheers! You repeated everything I stated in the thread..
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Jun 16, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,835 Posts
My second Habu maiden was a great success. The wing twist did not shown any signs of performance hit to speed, but it seemed to handle very solid in high speed turns.

BTW full flaps on grass makes for a shorter TO, and linking the rates to the flap switch via flight modes really reduced pilot work load. It is fly and forget (except for dropping flaps and raising gear, but that's the fun stuff.)
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:26 PM
Denmark, Nordjylland, Gistrup
Joined Aug 2005
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
My second Habu maiden was a great success. The wing twist did not shown any signs of performance hit to speed, but it seemed to handle very solid in high speed turns.

BTW full flaps on grass makes for a shorter TO, and linking the rates to the flap switch via flight modes really reduced pilot work load. It is fly and forget (except for dropping flaps and raising gear, but that's the fun stuff.)
Excellent Where did you CG and how much "Twist"
flemsus is online now Find More Posts by flemsus
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:41 PM
Livonia, Mi
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
e-flite sabre vs habu 32

I fly both..(F86 uses sapac retracts) and I have about 30 flights on each. First, the F86 is a good flying plane with ok speed on stock fan/motor, but lacks the power and preciseness of the habu. I look forward to flying the habu more due to the landing characteristics. The habu lands at about half of the speed and is not prone to wing tip grinding or flipping over like the F86.
However, I love the looks of the F86!
Also, I use a 900mah lip for the Rx and only use 50-100mah per flight.
Gibb is offline Find More Posts by Gibb