HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:18 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
bmiller's Avatar
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamjets View Post
It is the plastic are not rate at high temp.
It melt and the connector came loose.
Why the hell you guys using copy Dean?
I caught my friends using it and I give them hell. Pack of real Dean only $5 and crappy copy dean many few buck. But the risk taking is huge.
I had maiden a plane with copy dean. After take off and go around for 30sec.
No power.
After dead stick landing.
The copy dean kept off completely. Lucky no short the wire.
I give Al, John and Dave hell every time see them with copy Dean.
I rather throw them a bags of real Dean and charge them double to save them from crashing a plane for stupid copy Dean.
I know better but just being lazy I guess!
I bought the series connector at WSEF 2 weeks ago.
Now it's off to the LHS for real deans!
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:26 AM
Registered User
ZACATTACK's Avatar
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
I know better but just being lazy I guess!
I bought the series connector at WSEF 2 weeks ago.
Now it's off to the LHS for real deans!
How many Amps is Deans rated for?? Is the Habu safe on 8S with real Deans?? Tam uses them so I guess there good! Lots of different opions out there on this!! I was going to go with 6mm bullets but things changed...I like the set-up Gary uses at efflux RC with the bullets...
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Spruce Grove
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Can you tell the Forum some details? What motor? What ESC? Your set-up programs in your ESC? The Results? Thanx>>>
hi zacattack. motor 1409 2y, cc ice 100 esc, hs85mg's except for flaps, twin 4800mah 45c's, eflite gear, everything brand new except for ar7000 rx. esc prog...see attach. as for results....saw no magic smoke, hear no beeps, all lights that should be on are on. servos/functions work from sport bec and from esc, i can reach in and turn fan blade over with long dowel but motor no engage. so i'm thinkin it's the motor, but i'll let the pro's handle that one
rod22 is offline Find More Posts by rod22
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:56 AM
Registered User
ZACATTACK's Avatar
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod22 View Post
hi zacattack. motor 1409 2y, cc ice 100 esc, hs85mg's except for flaps, twin 4800mah 45c's, eflite gear, everything brand new except for ar7000 rx. esc prog...see attach. as for results....saw no magic smoke, hear no beeps, all lights that should be on are on. servos/functions work from sport bec and from esc, i can reach in and turn fan blade over with long dowel but motor no engage. so i'm thinkin it's the motor, but i'll let the pro's handle that one
Any ideas at all?? What did Tam say?? You should send it in to him!! If there is something wrong with the motor I'm sure Tam will replace it!! He mentioned that in the other thread....I'm getting worried??!! I have a 1409-2y set-up coming...a little worried I am for both of us!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:58 AM
Registered User
mavdriver's Avatar
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,877 Posts
Rod check and see if the 3 plugs from the motor are connected to the esc one may not be connected .
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:14 AM
Registered User
JoeMamma's Avatar
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
I'm still seeing a lot of talk about failing retracts and the wood retract mountings........I'm wondering why ?

If you make perfect landings, the EFlites (with or without the TAM's struts) will work great........but make just one less than perfect landing, especially on grass..............

I still don't understand why EFlite would choose to use their 15-25 size light-duty retracts and the very light-duty wood retract mounting. The 15-25 size is only good for a MAXIMUM weight of about 7 pounds ?? It seems that most of the Habu's are coming out at over 7 pounds.

Was this EFlite decision made just to keep overall weight to a minimum ?

I'm still planning on using the 60-120 EFlites for my own Habu. They are good for up to 15 pounds.

I'm curently using three different sets now on a Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 (about the same weight as the Habu), an EFlite Deuces Wild and a TopFlite P-51. So far they have been problem free and very dependable, even after having a number of less than perfect landings.

The Habu will require pulling off the lower wing sheeting and some additional redesign and fabrication on my part, but not too difficult a task. The only problem will be a little extra weight, but they should be very dependable.

Maybe I missed it, but I've read this entire thread and don't remember seeing any pictures of any other retracts besides the light-duty EFlites ? Has anyone added any stronger retracts ? Any pictures ?

When I convert mine I promise to take a lot of pictures..........just need to get off of my butt and get started. Hey.......wait a minute.......this is summertime here in Michigan......summertimes for flying, not building !

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:22 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
bdelapen's Avatar
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMamma View Post
I'm still seeing a lot of talk about failing retracts and the wood retract mountings........I'm wondering why ?

If you make perfect landings, the EFlites (with or without the TAM's struts) will work great........but make just one less than perfect landing, especially on grass..............

I still don't understand why EFlite would choose to use their 15-25 size light-duty retracts and the very light-duty wood retract mounting. The 15-25 size is only good for a MAXIMUM weight of about 7 pounds ?? It seems that most of the Habu's are coming out at over 7 pounds.

Was this EFlite decision made just to keep overall weight to a minimum ?

I'm still planning on using the 60-120 EFlites for my own Habu. They are good for up to 15 pounds.

I'm curently using three different sets now on a Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 (about the same weight as the Habu), an EFlite Deuces Wild and a TopFlite P-51. So far they have been problem free and very dependable, even after having a number of less than perfect landings.

The Habu will require pulling off the lower wing sheeting and some additional redesign and fabrication on my part, but not too difficult a task. The only problem will be a little extra weight, but they should be very dependable.

Maybe I missed it, but I've read this entire thread and don't remember seeing any pictures of any other retracts besides the light-duty EFlites ? Has anyone added any stronger retracts ? Any pictures ?

When I convert mine I promise to take a lot of pictures..........just need to get off of my butt and get started. Hey.......wait a minute.......this is summertime here in Michigan......summertimes for flying, not building !

Joe M.
Just out of mere curiosity, why are you not considering the 25-46 size instead of jumping straight to the 60-120? Seems to me that the setup needs just a little more and the 25-46 are metal setups:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG330

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 08:42 AM
Registered User
Denmark, Nordjylland, Gistrup
Joined Aug 2005
400 Posts
What about the 25 - 46 Tricycle Electric Retracts? I think they are all metal. Well done Birger
flemsus is online now Find More Posts by flemsus
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:57 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2005
1,854 Posts
JoeMamma,
I can say that I have punished the LG on this bird in grass with NO issues. I am using the Tam struts. The springs successfully take out the energy of a hard landing. No bends, no breaks. The mounts in the wing and nose have held firm. I cannot speak to the stock wires, but the Eflite retracts will take a beating and are fine for this 7 lb bird.
I even hit a boulder exposed at the end of the runway that sent the Habu 3 feet in the air!! I have done the embarrassing bounce - bounce - bounce - bang -flop without a problem. I am satisfied with the gear, but would not fly on grass without the Tam struts.
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
Watts Up?
jet-ster's Avatar
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2006
1,634 Posts
I think as we move forward in these builds is that we might have to go back to what have worked best and lighter. Tamjets air or 602s retracts, with these you can just add brake for those short runway at just a fraction of weight added.

For the wing I would add ALOT of thin CA around the inside area of the wing and spars inside. Let it wick all over the inside of the spars. So you don't rip out the wings at $50 a pop!

@Sunbather, I just bend out a new loop from the spring, cut off the old loop and adjust according. But you right there is no room for play in those wheel well


Danny
jet-ster is offline Find More Posts by jet-ster
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
A&P/IA
chevronflyer's Avatar
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
551 Posts
i have been punishing mine off grass. our field is rough as hell. i have never had any issues yet with the stock retracts, i am not using the tams struts either. i have well over 30 flights on it so far
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
Registered User
Tamjets's Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod22 View Post
hi zacattack. motor 1409 2y, cc ice 100 esc, hs85mg's except for flaps, twin 4800mah 45c's, eflite gear, everything brand new except for ar7000 rx. esc prog...see attach. as for results....saw no magic smoke, hear no beeps, all lights that should be on are on. servos/functions work from sport bec and from esc, i can reach in and turn fan blade over with long dowel but motor no engage. so i'm thinkin it's the motor, but i'll let the pro's handle that one
Here few things you can try.
Take the fan out and hook 4s to the fan power lead.
Listen for the beep to see if it arm.
If nothing. Send it back. It need for inspection.
It could be ESC.
Motor only goes bad if you over headed.
ESC is likely can goes bad for no reason.
Either way. If never been in a crash. It still under warranty.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:39 AM
Registered User
Tamjets's Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
How many Amps is Deans rated for?? Is the Habu safe on 8S with real Deans?? Tam uses them so I guess there good! Lots of different opions out there on this!! I was going to go with 6mm bullets but things changed...I like the set-up Gary uses at efflux RC with the bullets...
I short burst up to 115A and continues 90A all day no problem.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
Registered User
bri6672's Avatar
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
Just out of mere curiosity, why are you not considering the 25-46 size instead of jumping straight to the 60-120? Seems to me that the setup needs just a little more and the 25-46 are metal setups:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG330

- Birger
Well if you have seen the 60-120 size retracts in person then you will know why they are not useing them, they are BIG and Heavy. I have them in a 120 size BAE Hawk and they are monsters no way they are fitting in the habu! I have not seen the 25-46 size in person but they sound like a good fit.

Keep in mind that the Habu comes with a set of struts that they want you to use for the retracts. The only difference in the weight rating on their retracts is the diameter of the strut wire. So if the 15-25 are rated at 7lbs max but they are giving you a larger strut wire that lets say they rate up to 8-9lbs then that is their solution. I have beat the crap out of a set of 15-25 size retracts in an A-10 that i had and they held up fairly well. I did crack the case on one of them but man it was a brutal landing on a really rough dirt runway, cant really blame the retracts.

The wood rail sounds like a prduction issue, might be a good idea to fill in any glue gaps with some hysol or 30 min epoxy to strengthen them up a bit. If the gap is really small warm up some 30 min epoxy with a heat gun and drizzle it down into the gap so it gets in there really good, I bet that would solve the problem.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Last edited by bri6672; Jun 14, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsus View Post
What about the 25 - 46 Tricycle Electric Retracts? I think they are all metal. Well done Birger
We have them in stock. Just not on the website yet. pm me if anyone is interested.
I'll check on how they fit, or what needs to be done to get them in there later today.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fiberglass Habu Airframe Calvin_220 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 92 Nov 10, 2012 02:53 AM
Sold New in box Habu EDF PNP flyboy1945 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Aug 01, 2010 08:24 PM
Discussion ESC very HOT - Sorry the discussion is moved to the Habu thread SalamSyed Foamy EDFs 0 Mar 20, 2010 11:15 PM
New Product New Fiberglass EDF Jets!!! Starfire + EDF Trainer nitroplanes Nitro Planes 0 Jan 24, 2009 09:58 AM
Discussion Baja SS Speculation and hopup thread. DaveESPI Large Scale Cars 3 Feb 03, 2008 07:39 PM