HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:25 PM
Airshow Joe
N.W. Detroit Suburbs
Joined Feb 2009
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufniall View Post
Got mine ! Nice looking kit. Today it was time to fit Tams struts to the E-flite landing gear. But when i come to the wheels, something is wrong.
With the wheels from the HABU kit, it dosent seem possible to fit them on the
Tamjets struts. Or at least i cant figure it out.
The manual (Tamjets), dosent say/show anything about fitting the wheels.

So anyone know what to do ?
.. read a few weeks back where it states you have to drill them out.
rccrazee is offline Find More Posts by rccrazee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 04:38 PM
PolynÚsie franšaise, ╬les du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevronflyer View Post
Since i just finished taking down all the dimensions for the custom cover manufacturer i figured i would share them on here as well. they might come in handy for someone at the very least.
keep in mind these are very close approximates that are meant to serve as dimensions for a fuse cover and wing bag to fit snuggly over.
any news about custom covers?
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Apr 02, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrazee View Post
.. read a few weeks back where it states you have to drill them out.
The wheels come with some plastic spacers, which are pushed into the wheel.
Those seem difficult to drill, because they are soft plastic. Well well just need to
give it a go then.....

Thanks for pointing it out.
Dufniall is offline Find More Posts by Dufniall
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:17 PM
A&P/IA
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Feb 2007
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
any news about custom covers?
nope, not sure whats going on. i emailed them all the dimensions like they requested and now no word from them
chevronflyer is offline Find More Posts by chevronflyer
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:26 PM
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
May be Tam could sell some custom covers for Habu !!!!!
Old Apr 02, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
519 Posts
or ali !!!
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
We have a gal interested in sewing up some covers for us, for the Habu and SAPAC jets. She's on vacation till the end of next week, but I'll have more info you guys then. I'll be working with her, and she'll have completed jets to pattern from.

Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:00 PM
RickyBoy
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
349 Posts
Nice
RickyBoy49 is offline Find More Posts by RickyBoy49
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:02 PM
Corey
Australia, QLD, Caboolture
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Hi, does anyone know if yuo can land the habu on grass or not?. and thanks sun something (forgot what your username was) great help.
Cheers Corey
Fishingfon is offline Find More Posts by Fishingfon
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:06 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Jet Covers

I'm thinkin', a silver mylar outer (for sun protection) with a fleece interior. Velcro closures
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Apr 02, 2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added text
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined Sep 2008
15 Posts
Corey,

I maidened my Habu 32 today from my club's grass field. Field is 500 feet long, was freshly mowed Saturday evening, and is a pretty typical grass club field, with rather clumpy grass but also rolled with a big heavy roller to smooth it out. I have the stock setup except for a 100 ICE for the ESC.

The takeoff was around a 200 foot roll and fairly smooth with the stock wheels, which I worried about as they are rather small for our grass. Few clicks of trim here and there and found the plane to be very touchy for the controls setup exactly as specified in the instructions.

My first landing was really hot with about a 250 foot rollout. There was no wind. I was more concerned with having the plane stall out than setting it up properly for the landing. Full flaps, and the 2 MM down elevator trim programmed in. Pulled the power completely off at the 180 position and it was still roaring over the end of the runway. Second landing was way slower with me in control of the setup. Pulled the power and got the plane slowed way down before hitting the 180 and it was quite easy to land. The stock retracts held up well as I felt I punished them mightily on the first landing.

All in all, not that much more difficult than landing the Parkzone Habu. You will have no problems.

I used a 6S Turnigy 5000 MAH 30 C lipo and my plane weighs right at 7 pounds. The system turned 68 amps and 1600 Watts, measured rather quickly with an E-flite power meter.

Overall, I was well pleased with the plane. Much more than I expected to be when I saw that big battery that was going into a rather small plane. It looked very "jet like" with the speed and sort of like a rocket ship when pulled vertical. Loops easily done at around half power. Other guys in the club watching were quite impressed with it, as was I.

Good luck,

Bob
Rogers, Arkansas
boshebo is offline Find More Posts by boshebo
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:04 AM
Corey
Australia, QLD, Caboolture
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
ok thanks, great help,. i have decided to get the habu, not the sapac viper.
does anyone know if you can put air retracts in it, not electric(never liked electric retracts.
it is a great looking plane,
Cheers Corey
Fishingfon is offline Find More Posts by Fishingfon
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:09 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
I am sure you could put in air retracts, but why?

The e-flites have been vetted and are reliable, plus they are MADE for the plane and this plane is MADE for them, so even though I personally have never used the e-flite electrics (plan to one day), I would read back through the many posts in this thread and you will find very little (if any) complaints about them!

The E-flite retracts/Habu are the complete package....although I hear SAPAC will be coming out with some electric retracts in the future which will work with their whole line of jets.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:36 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
May be Tam could sell some custom covers for Habu !!!!!
Sorry....
I did ask my friend if he want take on this project. But his answer is no.
He did bought his wife the machine to this works while back. But never able to see any profit doing it. So his wife only doing for hobby and making wing bags for us as a hobby.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:45 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Joplin, Misery
Joined Mar 2007
407 Posts
Got mine in the air yesterday. Plane flew great and the wind didn't seem to bother it much at all. Wind was doing 12-15 with gusts to 23 and the habu took it like a champ! Running a stock system with an ice esc and castle bec pro and hs 5085's on the tail, hs 85's on the wings. Really impressive and got a lot of attention at the field. Had several guys wait a couple of hours for me to get off work to see the maiden.

One thing that I noticed though, at certain speeds in the high winds my plane would wag the tail hard. Anybody else notice this with their plane? It wasn't a big deal, I'm just curious about what caused it to happen.
gr8taz nitro is offline Find More Posts by gr8taz nitro