SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
BigBellyRC
KellenR's Avatar
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Jul 2010
106 Posts
Question
FunJet: Will This Motor/ESC Combo Work?!?

This isn't gonna be ANOTHER funjet discussion thread, I just need a quick answer to a single question.

I've read all the many power setups but bought THIS motor as its been recommended by several people as being pretty good. And I was going to get maybe a Plush 60A ESC but several people told me I only need a 35A-40A ESC for it. Anyway all the 60A's are sold out right now at HobbyKing so I got THIS 40A one.

I also got some 4.75"x4.75" and 5"x5" props.

I plan on running 3s 20-30c 2200's.

Will this combo work pretty well on the FunJet? I'm not looking for blistering speed, just something thats well balanced and flys fast enough. Thanks.
KellenR is offline Find More Posts by KellenR
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:54 AM
"The Judge"
sebbe's Avatar
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
I think it will be better with this motor:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...F_Motor_3200kv


The motor you thoose is going to be to slow, the one above is more in the medium class for a funjet with 3s lipos, put a 5x5 propp on that motor and have fun...

It will be enough with a 40A esc..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:17 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
ozzi supercub's Avatar
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Sebbe is right. The higher KV on 3S is better.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
BigBellyRC
KellenR's Avatar
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Jul 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
I think it will be better with this motor:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...F_Motor_3200kv


The motor you thoose is going to be to slow, the one above is more in the medium class for a funjet with 3s lipos, put a 5x5 propp on that motor and have fun...

It will be enough with a 40A esc..
I don't know, sometimes the higher Kv doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a better, faster motor for it. It may very well be but motor performance has much more too it than just a high Kv number.

I already ordered the 2350kv anyway about a week or two ago so should be getting it soon. I'll install it and check it out and see how fast it is. Like I said, I don't want a crazy fast funjet like some people do, I'm not looking for that, just something that maneuvers well and flies pretty quick. The reason I bought the one I did is because I read that many people recommend that one. We'll see how it goes, worse case I'll buy the 3200kv and fly the 2350kv while I wait for it to arrive. Then I can use the 2350 on something else, I can always use an extra motor for something.

Thanks guys.
KellenR is offline Find More Posts by KellenR
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:27 PM
"The Judge"
sebbe's Avatar
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellenR View Post
I don't know, sometimes the higher Kv doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a better, faster motor for it. It may very well be but motor performance has much more too it than just a high Kv number.

I already ordered the 2350kv anyway about a week or two ago so should be getting it soon. I'll install it and check it out and see how fast it is. Like I said, I don't want a crazy fast funjet like some people do, I'm not looking for that, just something that maneuvers well and flies pretty quick. The reason I bought the one I did is because I read that many people recommend that one. We'll see how it goes, worse case I'll buy the 3200kv and fly the 2350kv while I wait for it to arrive. Then I can use the 2350 on something else, I can always use an extra motor for something.

Thanks guys.
OK ? But I dont understand, you did ask, we only answer whats best for the funjet

Its nothing wrong with your 2350 kv motor, Im sure ut will run well in a funjet, But at least my answer isnt just based on guessing..

I have run the FunJet with many motors, read and seen many differnt motor choises, the best allround motor for the funjet for 3s lipos is somewhere around 3000 kv maybee slight more, this with a 5.5x4.5 propp gives you good thrust and good speed and good efficiency if you have a motor about 70-100 grams heavy. Maybee a 5x5 propp will be OK, but then its better to have slight more rpm, like a 3200-3500 kv motor..

One thing maybee you can try , and its to get a slight bigger propp, the 2350 kv motor with a 6x5 propp will be more suited for the FunJet-- then you will get some more thrust and speed.. this you can try if you allready have ordered the motor.. I think the 40A esc will be ok with a 6x5 propp with your motor..


Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Sep 23, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:43 AM
Registered User
hroachen's Avatar
Bayside, NY
Joined Apr 2003
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellenR View Post
I don't know, sometimes the higher Kv doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a better, faster motor for it. It may very well be but motor performance has much more too it than just a high Kv number.
Yes there is a LOT more to it than just a high Kv number, but the fact is that for that particular prop (the 4.75*4.75) you will need either a high Kv or high voltage to get it to an RPM where it will work for you.

I'd follow sebbe's advice and go with a bigger prop. The 6*5 like he mentioned, or an APC 6*4 sport prop if the 6*5 draws too much current.. Either would work much better for you than the 4.75*4.75 which doesn't come into its own unless you're running SUPER RPM.
hroachen is offline Find More Posts by hroachen
Last edited by hroachen; Oct 06, 2010 at 05:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:20 AM
BigBellyRC
KellenR's Avatar
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Jul 2010
106 Posts
This thing is done. Fully built for about a week now. Flown probably 15 flights over last 2 weekends. Using 5x5E APC prop. SCREAMING FAST. LiPo, ESC & Motor are cold to the touch after 6min flight with WOT half the time.
KellenR is offline Find More Posts by KellenR
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
Registered User
hroachen's Avatar
Bayside, NY
Joined Apr 2003
67 Posts
Cool...

Just for grins, try an APC 6*4 sport prop... on my Funjet the speed increase as well as the acceleration and verticals are all clearly better... the 6*4 sport is so far the best prop I've found.
hroachen is offline Find More Posts by hroachen
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:39 PM
BigBellyRC
KellenR's Avatar
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Jul 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hroachen View Post
Cool...

Just for grins, try an APC 6*4 sport prop... on my Funjet the speed increase as well as the acceleration and verticals are all clearly better... the 6*4 sport is so far the best prop I've found.
Yeah I will. I have a few 6x4E's in my prop bag and I'll try to throw one on there. I'm also going to run a 4s 2200 lipo on my next flight. The motor is setup for 3s or 4s and I have a bigger than needed 40A Sentry BESC that can handle up to 6s. I think the 4s will be ridiculous... its already way fast with a 3s 2200 & the 5x5E. I'll experiment with the 4s & 5x5E and 6x4E under different combinations.
KellenR is offline Find More Posts by KellenR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question FunJet: Will This Power Combo Work?? KellenR Foamies (Kits) 5 Sep 15, 2010 05:19 PM
Discussion Will this motor mount work in this EDF unit? RC_Bob Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Sep 10, 2010 08:29 PM
Discussion Is there a Motor battery Esc combo that will work on just about every plane? lacofdfireman Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 11 Nov 16, 2009 11:43 AM
Discussion motor and prop and esc combo will it work ? taffy047 Racing Boats - Electric 1 Sep 24, 2009 08:24 PM
Discussion Will this esc and motor combo work? haz Power Systems 2 Jun 09, 2006 10:53 PM