HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Discussion
Newbies Need Help, Kentucky Fried ESC

comment and suggestion please...

i'm still a newbie in rc airplane and so here the problem... i think i fried/destroyed/burn my esc last night while testing out new configuration... so here the story... at 1-3 flight i use my normal default configuration battery and my airplane was flying well as usual but disaster struck at the 4th flight. as i throttle up to gain altitude after take off the aircraft suddenly lost power and control. it went diving nose down for like 10 meter or so. in the end it crashed and later i went and retrieve the wreckage... condition was bad but its still repairable cuz its EPO airplane... servo ok, receiver ok, body, mechanical linkage and others are ok too... so my damage is my newly bought battery (greater capacity) and my esc... went back to the car and tested it out again and saw brown smoke coming out of my esc... not sure about the motor, haven't tested it out and hopefully its ok... so here my configuration before and after using the new battery... i really wanna knoe what is the problem but i'm pretty sure it was the fried esc.

Configuration earlier;
brushless motor AXN 2208 2200kv (comes with airplane)
ESC 25 amp (comes with airplane)
11.1 volt 1300ma 20c battery

configuration later;
same motor
same esc
11.1 volt 1800ma 20c battery

i learn that there is theory in how much ampere in battery could produce... and my calculation for 1st setting was 1.3 x 20 = 26 amp (minus 10% real efficiency) i get 23.4 amp... and my esc rate is 25 amp so its mean that i'm in quite safe configuration...

the calculation i get for the later setting which result in esc fried is... 1.8 x 20 = 36 amp (minus 10% real efficiency) i get 32.4 amp... and since that i didn't change my esc the rate is still the same 25 amp so perhaps when i increase the throttle up to 70% the esc burns...

i knoe this theory before hand but since that i'm new to this hobby, so theory was just a theory and reality will be different... and did a silly mistake by flying it before consulting to anyone... and the shop keeper too, idk if i'm wrong or he is wrong, he said that the high capacity battery will give extra flight time which i wanted but he didn't tell me anything about esc rate... i was stupid too for not asking about that...

now... was hoping for anyone that can give me comment on the issue... sorry for bad English and messy way of telling story and asking advices...
catscratch is offline Find More Posts by catscratch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:17 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,277 Posts
Swapping to a higher MAH rated battery will do nothing but increase you're flight times.

The way it works is the motor and prop combination determine the amp draw. The only time a bigger battery would increase the amp draw is if the original battery could not supply it at first but you would of seen issues with the first battery running hot and or puffing.

Motor and prop determine the amp draw and the just delivers whats ask of it so in theory your system did not ask more since the motor and prop never changed.

But if your pulling 23-24 amps with a 25 esc that means you're working the heck out of it and it was only a matter of time before it dies.

Prop down or get bigger esc.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:36 AM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
hmm forgot to mention my airplane... mine was axn floater jet aka cloud fly... didn't modified the prop so far, and still using the default... i just change the battery, or was the motor killing the esc... i'm pretty sure it was my esc that fried (smokes and melting)... the newly bought battery was badly dented due to crash... any idea what causing the sudden loss of power and control?... before crash i've done 4 straight flight with same airplane with 15 minutes breaking and cooling interval before each flight...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:48 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,277 Posts
The lsot of control is probably because you are using a esc with bec and the bec is supplying you're rx and servo. If major ESC failure occurs you could lose complete control of you rc.

I recently had ESC with bec failure but only the esc motor portion failed and still left me with power to control my plane. The manufacturer said the BEC is a complete seperate unit inside the ESC so even if the esc fails the bec still operates UNLESS the esc fails near the input power entry on the board it could cause total failure.

Smoke or burn from electronic devices is very noticable and so you should be able to smell if its the motor and esc but chances are its the esc.

Its not like the old days where mom and pop television set would last for 20-30 yrs. Todays electronic device have much shorter life span. Things FAIL yours failed in flight. BUT like I said if your pulling 23-24 amps on a 25A esc that is probably over rated to beging with and or was tested in the most ideal conditions posible with the most air cooling available, its very possible and most likely was over worked on all your flight and simply had enough and QUIT.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:10 PM
2 no or knot 2 no!
BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
765 Posts
I have the clouds fly and most people say that the motor is a piece of junk ( mine has been ok thus far). It is possible that a magnet came loose jammed the motor and the result of you not releasing the throttle burnt up your esc. Does your motor spin freely by hand?

I've flown mine with a 2200 mah batt, so it ain't the battery that caused it.
tmb55 is offline Find More Posts by tmb55
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:17 PM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
i see... thanks a lot... tested my damage esc... smokes comes out when i play with throttle... servo command still working with that damage esc... weird tho... "laughing"... and plus my esc did comes out with bec 2a/5v... if the servo should working when the esc burns, a question comes in my mind, why did it lost power and control and crashed, but when i tested on ground after crashed the servos work like normal... and no mechanical linkage error on control surface... must've been ghost pulling it...

ESC spec;
rated 25A
dc 5.6-16.8 V
with Bec 2A/5V

my motor don't smell, my esc yes... and there's like 2 big melted area underneath it... lolx... ur right, electrical & electronic appliance nowadays are such a failure...

one more question, since that 25A esc burns, should i upgrade to a higher rate esc like 30A or 40A, do i have to consider changing other component?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:18 PM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmb55 View Post
I have the clouds fly and most people say that the motor is a piece of junk ( mine has been ok thus far). It is possible that a magnet came loose jammed the motor and the result of you not releasing the throttle burnt up your esc. Does your motor spin freely by hand?

I've flown mine with a 2200 mah batt, so it ain't the battery that caused it.
yes it spin freely by hand...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:43 PM
2 no or knot 2 no!
BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
765 Posts
From hobby king discussion
Use a Tower Pro BM2409-12 with a 6x6 prop, 200watts of Joy

Sounds to me like your ESC gave up the ghost. get a turnigy 30 amp esc (and the above motor if you like)

I'd say as to the cause of your crash is that when the esc quit, you stalled it, loosing all control even though your surfaces were still operating.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:51 PM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
hmm perhaps ur rite... will check out the turnigy 30A esc... well axn floater was quite tough... 2 times major crash (breaks the body into 3 large pieces, front, mid, rear) after repair, it floats as usual... now repairing for 3rd times and almost complete... btw tmb55 how long (flight time) ur axn floater fly with 2200ma batt?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:56 PM
2 no or knot 2 no!
BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
765 Posts
yes your right about it being tuff. lol

I got well over half an hour once, but did a lot of gliding and flew easy and I did run the batt down too low.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:50 PM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
here a picture for any of you to verify if its indeed an esc burn...

http://photos-p.friendster.com/photo...530789743l.jpg
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:35 AM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
can anyone tell me what if i add battery for receiver? is it good a good idea?... and what kinda receiver battery setup should fit in nicely in clouds fly?

was thinking about putting 3.7V 500mAh battery for receiver... and for additional knowledge i use four 9 grams tower pro servos...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:45 PM
Joined Sep 2010
136 Posts
lol i am a newbie too[img]/sig/31/smile.gif[/img]
FranklinWalker is offline Find More Posts by FranklinWalker
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:01 PM
"staring at you"
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinWalker View Post
lol i am a newbie too[img]/sig/31/smile.gif[/img]
OMG .... hehe
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:40 PM
2 no or knot 2 no!
BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
765 Posts
All ten of my planes do not use an extra batt for the rx, that is what the BEC is for. I suspect that over 99% of electric user do not use an additional batt for the rx.

Q. Why?
A. Weight.