HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2002
1,256 Posts
Discussion
SU34 360 thrust vector on lightweight 3s & hand launch

So, I finally built one. Hobby Lobby su34 360 thrust vector. Where I fly,, it requires large clown wheels to r o g from the long grass. So,, this jet was intended for lightweight hand launch flying.

The retracts were pulled. "only" 7 servos were used. Stock fans with Turnigy 4300kv edf motors used. These motors are much smaller and lighter than the stock 4s motors. Stock huge 45 amp controllers ditched in favor of smaller, lighter turnigy plush 30 units.

A CC BEC was used, along with genuine ar7000 receiver.

Battery is a turnigy 3s 30c 2650.

Total flying weight.......44 ounces!!!

Hand launch is a no brainer,, it almost just flies out of hand.

With such light weight,, the cg was a tad back,, just not enough mass up front.
Powered flight like that was fine with a little down trim.

The landing was a bit rough. I made the final approach into the wind, and cut throttle about 15 feet off the ground. The model was facing me directly when it stopped flying.

I did not notice the lack of forward movement until it was falling like a leaf. At that point,, theres nothing left to do except watch.

The big jet settled in with a grass padded slap. Walking to retrieve it I figured the intake nacels were crushed. No such luck. The landing was ever so slightly nose first, resulting in the nose taking the bulk of the impact. The stiff canopy prevented major breakage. Just some lightly cracked foam is all that happened.

5 minutes with some ca and kicker,, and all is well.

I will get pics and video of the next flights.

Well,, anyway,,, yes,, the big twin flies just fine on 3s,, and at 5000' altitude.

Speed was pretty low,,but I think there is plenty of power for all the wicked 3d stuff.

On the second flight I tried the pitch TV and it worked well,, especially on landing. This time I kept throttle on. This jet is such a floater,, I had to make another pass lower, chop throttle, point nose down, then flair out with low throttle and TV.

Even at just a few clicks throttle, the mig was not coming down on its own. It just wanted to trundle along. I literally had to kill throttle to make the model come down, then flair out with throttle.

Pics and video to come.
topforce is offline Find More Posts by topforce
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:48 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
cant wait to see it, very very interesting!
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:45 AM
London
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
This sounds good.
Jammo is offline Find More Posts by Jammo