HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Big,

Turning the elevator servo around will solve the problem. That's what I did. See my build pics in the other thread.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
score! want me to build it for you?

that might be the only way it will fly this season.
I enjoy the tons of boxed airplanes I have man.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
It always pays to read the instructions DOC! I make a special point in the manual to warn you against doing this (see step #10). Oh well, things happen. Hope your buddy can get you in the air soon.

bighead, turn the elevator servo around and the included pushrod will work.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
I will do that! Now I have to see if I can get the ball links loose! A dab of thin CA really keeps them locked in!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:33 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Just pop the links off the balls and leave the ball itself bolted to the horn and servo arm.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:49 AM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
All I have left to do is slap on the cowling and then the wingtip/SFG combo! Oh yeah and fix my elevator linkage!

A couple of things I love about this kit;

1) All the cutouts are done for you in the ultracoat! I love it!! This saves times and just makes it easy especially with the dark colors!

2) The cutout in the belly (for airflow) has a dam built in that will force air out of the fuse! Plus it has clean cut outs for the servo wires to pass through from the tail to the front.

I can't wait to fly her...should be no later than tomorrow!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:54 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
It always pays to read the instructions DOC!
Dude, this is very strictly my fault. The good news is that it is easy enough to fix.

Quote:
Hope your buddy can get you in the air soon.
I have every confidence he will get it perfect. The reason I don't have him do all of them is because he only comes to town about once a month. I was just in such a hurry to get it ready for the fly-in that I dove in haphazardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
I think you could just cut out the area on the fuse to allow the elevator to slide in...and the glue it back in...there was a couple of kits where this was done.
I talked to Jim and he made the same mistake a few years ago on one of my other planes. He fixed it this way and I never knew!
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:01 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Dude, this is very strictly my fault. The good news is that it is easy enough to fix.

I have every confidence he will get it perfect. The reason I don't have him do all of them is because he only comes to town about once a month. I was just in such a hurry to get it ready for the fly-in that I dove in haphazardly.

I talked to Jim and he made the same mistake a few years ago on one of my other planes. He fixed it this way and I never knew!
If you're that far along Doc you might as well cut it yourself and have it in the air in no time, just a thought.
Steve
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Last edited by stevelmaa; Oct 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:06 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post

Better idea,send it to me,I will fix it (altho is wont be near as perfect as if Jim does it) but then I will trim it out,make a video of my sucky flying with it and hold it for ransom until you come visit
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
If you're that far along Doc you might as well cut it yourself and have it in the in no time, just a thought.
Steve
Oh, I thought about it, but I have done so many builds lately that I'm burnt and really need to let Jim handle it. This plane is so nice that I don't want to screw it up. There's nothing hard about it .... I'm just doing really sloppy work right now and need a break.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:20 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,758 Posts
Understood. Mines almost done.
Steve
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:43 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
You guys think a 13X6.5 APC is too much for the 2814-820?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:00 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
That's what I'm running on 3s on all my 2814 and 2818 planes.

For 4s I like the 11.5/5

I like 3s better, but that's just me. 4s power is sure fun, but I've found 3s to be much more controllable.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 01:08 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Yup on 3s it does .. on 4s 12x6
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2010, 04:17 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofearl View Post
groovejet,

Are you happy with your setup and does that motor have enough punch on 3S. I am experimenting at the moment, my last setup was putting out to many amps with a 14x7 and a 13x6 was underpowered on 3S. I am thinking of ordering a Turnigy 3542SK 1000kV motor and would be interested what you have to say.
dukeofearl,

I _was_ happy until Sunday when I burnt up 2 of those motors flying the EF Edge and EF Extra is 24 degree conditions. I flew the EF Extra first and after about 4 minutes of very aggressive flying I saw smoke coming out of the nose area. That motor is toast. At the time I thought it was an iffy motor since I'd pulled it out of my 3DHS VR-1 which I've had so many problems with that I think it's kinda cursed. Then I flew the EF Edge which has had about 40 reliable flights on it and within 2 minutes the motor made horrible noises and quit.

I've come to the conclusion that I fly far too aggressively for that motor and prop setup on 3S. Maybe it can handle that power level (600w) on 4 cell with lower amps; maybe not. All I know is that it's definately not suitable for me so I'll be replacing those motors with a certain Scorpion unit in the next few days.

My 3DHS Extra SHP runs the same motor but on a 12x6 prop using lighter less punchy batteries. That plane is lighter and works well with that setup and hopefully the much lower power (450-480w) will keep the motor in that plane alive for a lot longer.

*** Brad **** Please read this carefully and consider whether your flying altitude, temperatures, level of aggression (when flying ) etc. might make your Turnigy setup a ticking bomb.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet