HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Made it out for four quick flights this morning, man since going to the 14x7 prop I really really love this plane. It's running a close second to my 60" Edge and is by far the best 48" plane I've had. Might need to order some more batts now. Hmmm, 10% off at Hobbypartz.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 05:01 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Just out of curiosity what are you travel %'s
115% on ailerons, 120% for elevator on the servo end-points with my Futaba. Triple rates are all set at 100% for high. Not sure what my mid & low rates are at the moment and I haven't measured the deflection angles, just eyeballed it.
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old May 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
You could set your rates to 150 and drop a hole size and gain resolution.

That's what I do.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
You could set your rates to 150 and drop a hole size and gain resolution.

That's what I do.
Are you using Futaba? I've heard people doing that with the Spektrums but on my Futaba I don't seem to notice any additional movement past 135. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm fairly happy with the way my controls are set up at this point.
Motojunk is online now Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old May 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
Are you using Futaba? I've heard people doing that with the Spektrums but on my Futaba I don't seem to notice any additional movement past 135. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I'm fairly happy with the way my controls are set up at this point.
Talk to doc austin about rates then, he is one of the futaba guys around here.

Also nice flying
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 14, 2012, 07:07 AM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
If you're happy with the way it's set-up and given the flying in the video I wouldn't change anything.
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old May 14, 2012, 09:28 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchief View Post
If you're happy with the way it's set-up and given the flying in the video I wouldn't change anything.
Disagree.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
827 Posts
Care to explain why your would change the set up?
Old May 14, 2012, 09:46 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Quote:
Agree
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Care to explain why your would change the set up?
Sure! I don't like when my planes crash and it isn't my fault. Read below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Had another crash with mine today due to loss of control (brownout). However, I suspect the culprit was a Savox servo failure (AGAIN). This is the 2nd time I've had my Edge lock me out in flight, and the second time I noticed a servo issue when retrieving the plane post-crash. Unfortunately, this crash did a little more damage than the last:
Completely caved in the landing gear, bent one of the SFG, collapsed the balsa ply in the left wing in 3 places, demolished the former (i think its a former) just aft of the vent hole, broke the 2 bottom CF stringers free in the tail, and punctured the fuse where the trailing edge of the wing meets the fuse.

Funny, my MXS on Hitecs hasn't had this issue. Cue Doc comment about Hitec... Maybe he's right?

Giving some serious thought to changing out these SH-0255MG servos... but man the plane flies so nice when they're working right!

-Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Thanks E. But as you saw when you were here, she's been repaired once, and will be repaired again! Speaking of, it looks like I'll get to completely rebuild one of the landing gear formers! Guess this is my opportunity to make the gear even more bulletproof.

As for the Savox SH-0255MG servo... I have confirmed 100% that the elevator servo was my problem today. Here is how: I reconnected power to the plane on the bench, and the elevator was completely unresponsive again. Swapped channels with the rudder, and the rudder moved fine with elevator inputs. I then removed the servo and put it on my Hitec HFP-10 servo tester. It would move a little, but was abnormally jittery and then the servo tester started flashing "low batt". I know the tester had a full battery because I fully charged it last weekend and have not used it for more than 2 minutes since. I interpreted the "low batt" indication as an excessive current draw. Cause for crash isolated, mishap investigation closed.

Unfortunately, this is the second elevator servo to fail on this airplane, and I feel like a butt head for trying to advocate for Savox, when (at least in MY case,) they aren't performing, and are causing damaging crashes to my awesome plane!

I will be returning the failed servo to Savox, and selling the rest. I'll put some Hitecs back in, (including a HS-85mg on the elevator) and see if I can feel a difference when flying.

After all the time repairing this plane from crashes that weren't my fault, I just want some reliable electronics in there.

Gary
Old May 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
827 Posts
OK - I see the reason behind going to a better servo on the elevator ... makes sense. However, I don't see the need to change radio settings. Thanks.
John
Old May 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
OK - I see the reason behind going to a better servo on the elevator ... makes sense. However, I don't see the need to change radio settings. Thanks.
John
I think we crossed paths... I misread your post and thought it was in regards to leaving "everything" alone if flies well.
That being said, proper radio setup can extend servo life. The farther out on the arm that a servo rod is attached, the harder the servo has to work to move the arm. By doing as was suggested, and moving the link in one hole, while increasing end points, you'll get better resolution and better mechanical advantage.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,023 Posts
I don't guess there is any right or wrong to set up work as long as you can get the plane to fly the way you want it to. After seeing Motojunk's video I'de say there's nothing wrong with that plane, but I probably couldn't fly it that way.

However, I deal with this kind of stuff all time time helping out students and new 3D pilots. I generally like to get them over to my shop and go through the plane first, because they usually have most of their set up fubared and it's too much work to correct at the field. I usually have to change the linkage set up, seal the controls, and every time I have to format the radio program and start from scratch. You can't believe some of the things I have seen people do with their set ups.

On the Extreme Flight planes, it's all figured out for you. Use the servo arms they show in the manual, max your end points, set the expo at 75% and let it rip. That's exactly how I set up every plane I own. I played around with set up on these planes for the better part of a year, and I ended up with what was in the manual anyway. The only deviation I make is that I use a long Dubro arm on the elevator servo so I can get 88 degrees of deflection. I find this especially useful on the MXS.

But in general terms, set your high rate at 100% and leave it there for the rest of your life. If you want more or less throw, make the adjustments mechanically, or if it is a small adjustment, use your end point controls. I also like to have my end points as high as I can get them. If I have to go below 120% on the end points, I would rather move the ball link in a hole and turn the end points back up.

In the end, if you just use the set up from the manual and fly the crap out of it, you'll make more progess than constantly tinkering with the plane.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 16, 2012, 09:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
if any of you fellas need a red rebuild kit, I just listed one for sale: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21634463
Old May 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Well, I built mine with the recommended setup and flew it for the first time Monday. Boy, was I impressed. I have a 47" SHP that I love, but this is a whole 'nother animal. With max throws, she just gets plain stupid. I love it.

Good job EF, this one's a keeper fer sure.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck