SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 05:21 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,823 Posts
The way everyone is scraping and scrounging for MXS parts suggests it might be a good idea for everyone to order an MXS kit as soon as they hit the warehouse. It seems likie they sell out faster than the others and at the end of every run people are dying to get kits and parets.

I'm going to get a red and throw it in the closet, just so I have a spare. I'de like a blue too, but there is only so much money and I gotta save for the lasers.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
i'd guess the 60 mxs will be the same way and the first to sell out too.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old May 02, 2012, 05:29 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i'd guess the 60 mxs will be the same way and the first to sell out too.
Those will sell out before they can get them checked in. Everyone wants one of those.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 02, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,332 Posts
yeah making sure i have some extra funds so i can get one immediately when they come out. I have yet to see the MXS out of stock except for right after the toledo sale and all the parts are showing in stock but its easier if somebody has some spares just laying around taking up space
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old May 04, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,655 Posts
any idea when the red one will be back in stock ?
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old May 04, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, IL, Forest Park
Joined Jul 2011
113 Posts
Ok guys, so it seems like I have been asking a lot of questions lately but you guys have been so helpful that I thought I would ask a couple more. I just am starting to put the plane together and I had a couple of questions on the build.

1. The CA hinges are throwing me off a little bit. Do I glue them in the wing/vert stab first, then let them dry then use some more thin CA to put the control surface on? I have watched the 3DHS build videos so I understand some of the basics such as how to get the proper hinge gap and such but these hinges are slightly different.

2. When I glue the horizontal stab on, do I just put glue on the underside, or should I use some on the top as well?

3. Is there a build thread of the tailwheel assembly? I have searched this thread and read through the manual several times but am still slightly confused on how it goes together.

4. Are the cooling baffles a good idea to put on? I am not living in a desert by any means but the summers can get pretty warm and humid.

5. When I set up my servos and servo arms, is it ok to increase the throw past 100% on my 65mg's? I have an 85mg for the elevator as well as a dubro long servo arm so I am assuming I will not need to increase the throw. However, on the ailerons and rudder, I may need to move the throw past 100% as I only have the stock servo arms that come with the hitec's.

I am sorry for all the questions but I figured there is such a wealth of knowledge here that I should take advantage of it instead of charging ahead and putting together a plane poorly. I am really excited to get this plane in the air! This is my first EF airframe so I am hoping this will be a really great experience! Thanks all!
thebuckeye is online now Find More Posts by thebuckeye
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mountain Models Lucky Ace
Old May 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckeye View Post
Ok guys, so it seems like I have been asking a lot of questions lately but you guys have been so helpful that I thought I would ask a couple more. I just am starting to put the plane together and I had a couple of questions on the build.

1. The CA hinges are throwing me off a little bit. Do I glue them in the wing/vert stab first, then let them dry then use some more thin CA to put the control surface on? I have watched the 3DHS build videos so I understand some of the basics such as how to get the proper hinge gap and such but these hinges are slightly different.
If you use a pin through the hinge, you can insert it into both sides and glue them at once. If you're doing one side at a time, insert them into the control surface, and hold it vertical when you apply the CA. Try and be careful when doing this so you keep the wing/stab side of the hinge dry if possible. As for the gap, EF planes need very little gap, usually no more than 1mm. You could almost eye-ball it, but the way I do it is to glue the control surface first (and let it dry!), then insert the hinge into the wing/stab fully, move the surface to max deflection, then glue it.
Quote:
2. When I glue the horizontal stab on, do I just put glue on the underside, or should I use some on the top as well?
try to get some thin CA into both the top and bottom I'd recommend a few drops at a time, let it wick in, then a few more. Try not to tilt to much or it could come out the other side. I also usually put a bead of medium ca along the stab/fuse joint afterwards
Quote:
3. Is there a build thread of the tailwheel assembly? I have searched this thread and read through the manual several times but am still slightly confused on how it goes together.
check the 41" edge build videos, they show the tail whell assembly in one of the 14 videos. I'm pretty sure it's a nearly identical concept.
Quote:
4. Are the cooling baffles a good idea to put on? I am not living in a desert by any means but the summers can get pretty warm and humid.
It is next to impossible to OVERCOOL an electric motor. While it adds a little extra time to the build, and MAY need a little fine adjustments to get the cowl to fit properly, you lose nothing, and will keep your motor cooler making it last longer
Quote:
5. When I set up my servos and servo arms, is it ok to increase the throw past 100% on my 65mg's? I have an 85mg for the elevator as well as a dubro long servo arm so I am assuming I will not need to increase the throw. However, on the ailerons and rudder, I may need to move the throw past 100% as I only have the stock servo arms that come with the hitec's.

Yes, it is ok to go over 100% with the stock servo arms. Best way to do this is set maximum travel adjustment, then dial it back using dualrates. This will ensure maximum torque to the servo arm.
Quote:
I am sorry for all the questions but I figured there is such a wealth of knowledge here that I should take advantage of it instead of charging ahead and putting together a plane poorly. I am really excited to get this plane in the air! This is my first EF airframe so I am hoping this will be a really great experience! Thanks all!
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:

I put mine in the control surfaces first,add drop of ca to hold in place..Remember to leave enuf hinge for the other side. Let it dry,then instal control surface to where it goes.Then make sure you have the deflection you need,then one or two drops with control surface deflected onto the hinge.I do this on both sides.Different folk do it differently and i hope they will chime in also as my way aint the only way.

When i put the stab on I use thin ca.Be very careful as it will run out of the other side.Top and bottom after you get it where you want it.Then i will fill in the gap with a little bead of medium of thick CA.

Not That I know of.What are you having trouble with on it?

Absolutley.they are there for a reason and work fantastic

5. When I set up my servos and servo arms, is it ok to increase the throw past 100% on my 65mg's? I have an 85mg for the elevator as well as a dubro long servo arm so I am assuming I will not need to increase the throw. However, on the ailerons and rudder, I may need to move the throw past 100% as I only have the stock servo arms that come with the hitch's.

yep.set your epa's to highest setting then try and get as much throw you need.If you can't get what you need pm me.

There aren't too many questions.Hope We can get ya going..
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 04, 2012, 04:10 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
I install my hinges to both surfaces, than glue. Use one of those silicone tips that allow you to use a very small amount of CA, to help keep it off the ultracoat. I use pins if it seems that the hinges are sliding into one of the control surfaces, but otherwise, I stopped doing that.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old May 05, 2012, 09:59 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Im taking this right msx blue white wing to Hodges Hobbies with me to see if they have a box lying around I can use to ship it. Ill let ya know what I find this evening.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old May 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
If you use a pin through the hinge, you can insert it into both sides and glue them at once. If you're doing one side at a time, insert them into the control surface, and hold it vertical when you apply the CA. Try and be careful when doing this so you keep the wing/stab side of the hinge dry if possible. As for the gap, EF planes need very little gap, usually no more than 1mm. You could almost eye-ball it, but the way I do it is to glue the control surface first (and let it dry!), then insert the hinge into the wing/stab fully, move the surface to max deflection, then glue it. try to get some thin CA into both the top and bottom I'd recommend a few drops at a time, let it wick in, then a few more. Try not to tilt to much or it could come out the other side. I also usually put a bead of medium ca along the stab/fuse joint afterwards check the 41" edge build videos, they show the tail whell assembly in one of the 14 videos. I'm pretty sure it's a nearly identical concept. It is next to impossible to OVERCOOL an electric motor. While it adds a little extra time to the build, and MAY need a little fine adjustments to get the cowl to fit properly, you lose nothing, and will keep your motor cooler making it last longer Yes, it is ok to go over 100% with the stock servo arms. Best way to do this is set maximum travel adjustment, then dial it back using dualrates. This will ensure maximum torque to the servo arm.

Thank you as well as everyone else for your help. Last night I didn't get far but I did attach the ailerons to the wing as well as go over the key stress points with CA. Lets just say that CA debonder was my friend last night. The bottle was over pressurized or something because when I opened it, CA flew out and squirted about 4 feet! It ended with me spending about an hour getting CA off the wing as well as ungluing two of my fingers which had gotten stuck together in the process.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 04:44 PM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Thank you as well as everyone else for your help. Last night I didn't get far but I did attach the ailerons to the wing as well as go over the key stress points with CA. Lets just say that CA debonder was my friend last night. The bottle was over pressurized or something because when I opened it, CA flew out and squirted about 4 feet! It ended with me spending about an hour getting CA off the wing as well as ungluing two of my fingers which had gotten stuck together in the process.
I had that happen when I bought the first bottle of thin CA years ago. It is very dangerous if it gets you in the eye(s). The trick is to crack the cap open first by unscrewing it partially. Then snip the tip as you like. If you can, get some of the Bob Smith Industries applicators for your thin CA. Much easier to control.
terryj is offline Find More Posts by terryj
Old May 05, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,655 Posts
any idea when the red one will back in stock ?
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old May 06, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
113 Posts
Ok guys, I have another question for ya. I am running into issues mounting the cowl. I marked the holes with tape like the manual suggested, however, when I put the spinner on, there is about an inch gap between the end of the cowl and the spinner. If I move the cowl too far out then it moves past the fuselage. It almost seems like it is too short or my motor is sticking out too far. I am using the torque motor and the x mount that came with it. Did anyone else have this problem?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Ok guys, I have another question for ya. I am running into issues mounting the cowl. I marked the holes with tape like the manual suggested, however, when I put the spinner on, there is about an inch gap between the end of the cowl and the spinner. If I move the cowl too far out then it moves past the fuselage. It almost seems like it is too short or my motor is sticking out too far. I am using the torque motor and the x mount that came with it. Did anyone else have this problem?
I bought the combo and when I got it together it had about 3/8" gap. I wasn't real happy with it. Seems like EF would do a better job with the sizing thing, or at least tell us what to expect.

Chck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck