8,491 Posts
Nice touch extreme flight!
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, IL, Forest Park
Joined Jul 2011
116 Posts
Ok, so my MXS just came in the mail today!! Unfortunately it doesn't mean I can start building it yet (I had it delivered to my house and I am still at school for another 2 weeks. I knew having the plane at school would only distract me from finals ).

Anyways, I went to the LHS to pick up some goodies for the plane. I got the power combo from EF along with a spinner and I have 3 65Mg's and 1 85mg. I also picked up two 12" extensions and two 6" extensions. I have some 3s batteries I was planning on using (to start out with. I will probably move up to 4s sometime this summer once I get used to the plane) and I picked up a 13x8 apc prop. I do not have a LHS at home so I was going to pick up all the necessary parts while I am at school. Am I missing anything from my list? Do I need longer servo arms? And if so should I get the Dubro servo arms or the Dubro long servo arms?

Also, this may be a question for another thread, but is there any difference between a wood prop or an apc prop? From what I can tell most of you guys use the apc prop but they are cheap so I could always pick up a wood one and see for myself. Thanks guys! I am so excited to get this plane in the air (just about two weeks away now!!!)
thebuckeye is online now Find More Posts by thebuckeye
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mountain Models Lucky Ace
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Get the 85mg long dubro arm, its white if you want the full speed brake elevator. The g10 arm, for me at least doest get the full 90 degree of travel.

It comes in a bag with about 8 other arms for about 13 bucks.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckeye View Post
Anyways, I went to the LHS to pick up some goodies for the plane. I got the power combo from EF along with a spinner and I have 3 65Mg's and 1 85mg]
Outside of banging the ruder on the ground, those have been bullet proof in mine.

Quote:
I also picked up two 12" extensions and two 6" extensions.
you will also need one 3" for each aileron servo. Maybe pick up some heat shrink tubing to secure them while you're out.

Quote:
Do I need longer servo arms? And if so should I get the Dubro servo arms or the Dubro long servo arms?
You can get about 76 degrees on the elevator with the included G10 servco extension, but to get the full 88 degrees you need one long drbro heavy duty arm for the HS85MG. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole pack, which is like $14 or something ridiculous. Best bet is to fly it with the G10 arm and buy the dubro later if you want more throw. 76 degrees is still pretty healthy.

Quote:
Also, this may be a question for another thread, but is there any difference between a wood prop or an apc prop?
I'de run wood more often but my LHS doesn carry them and I hate to mail order stuff. Xoars are pretty sweet.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:22 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Got mine today. Are the servo holes and the air egress hole always cut out on the 48" models?
the easiest arf ever, IMO I am a lazy builder too.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Man, if you have two weeks to wait, you could have saved a lot of $$$ by mail ordering stuff so it would all be waiting for your return home.

Just sayin.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,357 Posts
Yes i absolutely loved the fact that the holes were all cut out already, made life alot easier, even on the 60" i just built i only had to open the control horn slots, vent hole and tail servo holes.

As for servo arms, if your willing to wait for them i love these and they add a little "bling" factor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10076
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,782 Posts
my wife was happy i didn't have to do "the paperclip method" in the kitchen at the gas stove for that one.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:14 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
You will also need one 3" for each aileron servo. Maybe pick up some heat shrink tubing to secure them while you're out.
I use spectra fishing line and CA on the knot. Just another method...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
Damm. I wish I could get another MXS. UI killed my blue but I was sick of it anyway. I really want a new red one.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
my wife was happy i didn't have to do "the paperclip method" in the kitchen at the gas stove for that one.
If you go get a soldering iron or exacto knife to use instead, you could keep your wife happy.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Last edited by -= GYRO =-; Apr 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:33 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,491 Posts
Got a chance to look at this plane more closely. I got the red one. Wow, that checker pattern on the bottom of the wing is neat (read: sick).
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:34 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,227 Posts
I wish I could get a red one.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:12 AM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,491 Posts
It looks like they are the same price even after the sale if you get a power combo.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:04 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,702 Posts
Well 430ish flights and busted up the MXS pretty good probably fixable but she was getting pretty beat up. Had a ruff life!!!
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes