SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I posted this in the Owners thread and will post here too:
Ok I got one for you guys. Well I was hovering my MXS at 15 feet 2.5 minutes into my pack... and everything just quit. Motor, servos, and everything went quiet. Heard the plane crunch into the cemented snow that been getting ran over with cars and packed down. Plane rotated 135 degrees from strait vertical and hit the ground at about a 45 degree angle belly and nose first. From the sound of it I thought I crunched the motor box. As I walked up on it the ESC was going through its beeps over and over and everything was working just as it should except one servo in the right wing. To my surprise there was a small crack in the cowling and nothing else. This plane never ceases to amaze me. Motor was working as it should and all but the one servo was working. Didn't even break a prop. After I got home I took the cowling off and checked motor and shaft wasn't bent All the connections were in perfect condition and battery had almost 16 volts.

Ok... what the heck could of caused this. Bad servo only goes in one direction and very weak... it isn't gears but something electrical. Could have the electric load from the servo going out have caused the 5 amp BEC in my ICE lite 75 amp to brown out my receiver? Before going up I noticed servo seemed to be a little weak, I shouldn't of put her up. The wing didn't come in contact with the ground at all, so I don't think that could have got damaged from the crash. After getting home, all the electronics(minus wing servo) and motor seem fine and connections are good. I am lost on this one.

Setup - Castle ICE lite 75 amp ESC, Motrolfly 2820-750, Futaba R6106HFC receiver, HS-65mg that went bad in wing

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the ESC and Motor were cool to the touch.
I had the exact same thing happen to my Fliton Quiet Storm -- except from 100 ft. The plane was a pile of rubble when I got to it but all the components plugged in were working. Those components are now in a zip lock bag. They all work except for the battery. It had a pretty large dent so I discharged it and disposed of it. I'll probably e-waste the rest. The airframe was in many very small pieces. I got 6 years on that plane. Sorry to hear about yours.
terryj is offline Find More Posts by terryj
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:58 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
wow, that's exactly what happened to mine. except it was the rudder servo and I lost it about 25 feet up. total destruction.

Quote:
I posted this in the Owners thread and will post here too:
Ok I got one for you guys. Well I was hovering my MXS at 15 feet 2.5 minutes into my pack... and everything just quit. Motor, servos, and everything went quiet. Heard the plane crunch into the cemented snow that been getting ran over with cars and packed down. Plane rotated 135 degrees from strait vertical and hit the ground at about a 45 degree angle belly and nose first. From the sound of it I thought I crunched the motor box. As I walked up on it the ESC was going through its beeps over and over and everything was working just as it should except one servo in the right wing. To my surprise there was a small crack in the cowling and nothing else. This plane never ceases to amaze me. Motor was working as it should and all but the one servo was working. Didn't even break a prop. After I got home I took the cowling off and checked motor and shaft wasn't bent All the connections were in perfect condition and battery had almost 16 volts.

Ok... what the heck could of caused this. Bad servo only goes in one direction and very weak... it isn't gears but something electrical. Could have the electric load from the servo going out have caused the 5 amp BEC in my ICE lite 75 amp to brown out my receiver? Before going up I noticed servo seemed to be a little weak, I shouldn't of put her up. The wing didn't come in contact with the ground at all, so I don't think that could have got damaged from the crash. After getting home, all the electronics(minus wing servo) and motor seem fine and connections are good. I am lost on this one.

Setup - Castle ICE lite 75 amp ESC, Motrolfly 2820-750, Futaba R6106HFC receiver, HS-65mg that went bad in wing

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the ESC and Motor were cool to the touch.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,337 Posts
Finished my MXS last night, easiest build i have done thus far, just need to apply the decals.

Setup - SunnySky 800kv w/13x6.5 APC-e prop, 2200mah 20c blue lipos (will be buying some 2650 gens ace soon), ZTW 50a esc, 3 HS65mg, 1 HS85mg, Hitec Optima7

Decided against the ds410m servos as i didnt want to risk the plane to an inflight failure, but they will be going into a skywing plane as soon as i order one (thanks again for the horns Gyro)

Only question i have as i have seen it on other planes, is there any concern for blow back on the hs65mg in the rudder using the included long arm?
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
Finished my MXS last night, easiest build i have done thus far, just need to apply the decals.

Setup - SunnySky 800kv w/13x6.5 APC-e prop, 2200mah 20c blue lipos (will be buying some 2650 gens ace soon), ZTW 50a esc, 3 HS65mg, 1 HS85mg, Hitec Optima7

Decided against the ds410m servos as i didnt want to risk the plane to an inflight failure, but they will be going into a skywing plane as soon as i order one (thanks again for the horns Gyro)

Only question i have as i have seen it on other planes, is there any concern for blow back on the hs65mg in the rudder using the included long arm?
not with the 13x6.5 on there. I flew my 48" Edge today with the SunnySky 800kv swinging a 14x7 on 4s... any reason you decided on the smaller prop? I think you'll find it underwhelming. (at least I did in my testing)
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,337 Posts
just figured i would start there. Wasnt sure what the 14x7 would pull on that motor amperage wise....and because i am only running those crappy 20C blue lipos
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:09 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
gentlemen, I have a good condition right wing, rudder and elevator if anyone needs. red. send a pm.

keeping sfgs and landing gear for the next iteration.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
just figured i would start there. Wasnt sure what the 14x7 would pull on that motor amperage wise....and because i am only running those crappy 20C blue lipos
14x7 pulls about 53a at take off, and probably drops to around 47-49 in the air. If you're using 2200, then you're probably on a good prop for that battery if you plan to fly at max throttle the whole time. Otherwise, get the 14x7 and there and have fun! Remember, in 3d, we aren't flying at max all day, and the 14x7 only pulls 25a or less at mid throttle.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,337 Posts
sounds good, i will throw a 14x7 in there tomorrow when i go for the maiden and compare it to the 13x6.5

Ever have any ground clearance issues with a 14x7? i take off from grass
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:19 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I could be mistaken but epbuddy doesn't have 14x7 prop data for the 2820 on 4s and at 140grams that may be pushing the motor a bit to much for 47 amps.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...ivcf9kqs24ift1

However the 950kv has been tested on 4s at 60amps with a 13x6 wood prop at 880watts
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=188

I would hazard a guess that they use the same chassis so it may be able to survive the 14x7 prop load but I would pose this question in the extreme power system thread, yeah you may have had a couple of flight on it and it may be good but I always look long term on how well it will hold up.

and Dr Kiwi suggested that running that combo is not a good idea
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1521705&page=3
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Last edited by stgdz; Mar 31, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
I could be mistaken but epbuddy doesn't have 14x7 prop data for the 2820 on 4s and at 140grams that may be pushing the motor a bit to much for 47 amps.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...ivcf9kqs24ift1

However the 950kv has been tested on 4s at 60amps with a 13x6 wood prop at 880watts
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=188

I would hazard a guess that they use the same chassis so it may be able to survive the 14x7 prop load but I would pose this question in the extreme power system thread, yeah you may have had a couple of flight on it and it may be good but I always look long term on how well it will hold up.

and Dr Kiwi suggested that running that combo is not a good idea
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1521705&page=3
Thanks for offering the observations. I've been singing the praises of these motors for a few months now, and have about 40 flights on them to speak from.
I fly the 2820-950 on 4s with a 13x6 Xoar prop. WORKS PERFECT. I fly the 2820-800 on 4s with a 14x7 or 13x8 Xoar prop. WORKS PERFECT.

I also had some concerns regarding heat, and so I've done all my flights with the Spektrum TM1000 telemetry system installed, and I attached the temperature probe to the base of the motor. I've never seen temps above 105f in flight, and occasionally see 120f on the ground after landing. considering the manufacturer claims the magnets are good up to 180C, I think we're ok.

As for Dr. Kiwi, with respect, I complete disagree with his advice. He still lives by the 3/1 rule, which is based on older motors with less quality magnets, cheaper glue holding them on, and heavier alloys that don't dissipate heat well. Finally, his testing is done only on a bench, with ZERO cooling air moving over the motor in flight.

If everyone followed his 3/1 rule, nobody would be flying their motrolfly motors (the king of getting the most power per ounce in my opinion) anywhere near the wattage levels that we do.

So, I think it's safe to run these motors as I do. Keep an eye on temps, and if you're not comfy, don't push it as hard, or save a good 1 minute at the end of your flights for some gentle flying to cool the motor down.

Just my opinion based on my experience though, I'm not saying I know everything.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,337 Posts
I agree gyro after reading what the doctor said i completely disagree. My omega motor ran over 700Watts on 4s all day long...in fact 3Dhs recommends it
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:40 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Chipping in my couple of pence...

I use KMS motors - these are one of the strongest motors I have come across out there on a par with others mentioned here....the 930kV is good for 740watts spec'd and will go higher than that with no issues...they have a 240g 670kV motor capable of 1550W spec and both these motors don't operate within the 3:1 rule...

These KMS motors are so solid I could chuck them into a fire for a couple of hours - pull them out with tongs - bolt it onto a plane and fly it.....
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,661 Posts
Hey Gary,
Are those motors true 800kv and 950kv motors? What kind of numbers are they producing?
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Hey Gary,
Are those motors true 800kv and 950kv motors? What kind of numbers are they producing?
Bryan, I suspect they're at least 50kv lower than published. My 950 is getting the same numbers on my 13x6 as published on the epbuddy website.
The 800 with a 14x7 is getting about 52a/785w at max power on a fresh battery.
Overall, I'm truly happy with these motors.

-Gary
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:26 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Hey, all I am saying is that the data only has it up to 13x6 so I would be leary to go beyond that. Also if you are seeing 120 on the mount you are most likely seeing a much higher temperature on the windings, so you may be degrading the glue.

The motor does look attractive though for a 13x6 but at this point the only thing I would strap a 14x7 is a motrofly and that's cause I have talked to ken extensively about it and aero's prop data.

But hey if you guys are comfortable with it, go for it!
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz