SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
815 Posts
Doc - you're right about not cartwheeling ... I was ripping mine this past weekend and got too wild too low ... realized I wasn't going to avoid the ground so I leveled the wings (inverted) and it sort of pancaked in. Tore off the rudder, cracked a couple pieces in the elevator and broke the prop. 10 minutes and it's ready to go. Can't even tell it happened except for the different color ultracote I used to repair a tear on the elevator bottom!
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:59 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Glad you got it back together with so little fuss. These sure are tough airplanes.

Yeah, I just got it into the sun and the last part of the slo roll was guesswork until I could see it again. but then it was too late, so I just had to minimize the damage.

I knew better than to get into the sun, but it sets really fast once it gets that low. I thought I was under it but it surprised me. Asl Manta how brutal the sun is out there.

Between the sun and the hill of death to the right, SPARKS can be a challenging place to fly really hard. There are a lot of deceptive dips and rises in the terrain and I am just now learning where they are all at. It's really hard to get a good slo roll on the deck because, depending on direction, you either have to drop it down past the hill or raise it up to miss the hill right in the middle of the roll. The hill does make a nice obstacle for playing take off dodge-em, but I am sure one day I am gonna hit it.....hopefully on video..
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Mar 22, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Doc I am thinking of getting a plane from EF. Right now I have a bunch of 3DHS planes. a 59 Slick a 42 Slick, A 47 SHP, and a 41 Edge. I want one of the EXP series and really like the blue MXS and the red 300 Extra. In watching Daniels videos though it almost looks like the 540 EXP flys the smoothest. I am a pretty new pilot of a little over a year and like my planes to fly a little floaty if possible. Stable harrier is probably my biggest need / want. I know floaty and smooth are kind of each a different animal. Thanks!
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Doc I am thinking of getting a plane from EF. Right now I have a bunch of 3DHS planes. a 59 Slick a 42 Slick, A 47 SHP, and a 41 Edge. I want one of the EXP series and really like the blue MXS and the red 300 Extra. In watching Daniels videos though it almost looks like the 540 EXP flys the smoothest. I am a pretty new pilot of a little over a year and like my planes to fly a little floaty if possible. Stable harrier is probably my biggest need / want. I know floaty and smooth are kind of each a different animal. Thanks!
Sounds like the Edge 540 would suit you well. I have both it and the MXS. The Edge is definitely the more docile of the two. It's a great plane.
The MXS... well it just begs to be flown fast and hard. Still harriers very nicely, but I think the Edge has a slight advantage here.

The MXS has probably actually changed my flying style. I used to be more low, slow close in harrier/hover stuff. The MXS has made me like to go fast, tumble hard and be much more abusive on my airplanes.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Quote:
In watching Daniels videos though it almost looks like the 540 EXP flys the smoothest.
I think the Extra EXP is the smoiothest, and I believe Daniel would tell you the same thing. However, for learning 3D, the Edge is absolutely the most stable and forgiving.

Quote:
I am a pretty new pilot of a little over a year and like my planes to fly a little floaty if possible. Stable harrier is probably my biggest need / want. I know floaty and smooth are kind of each a different animal.
Yeah, absolutely the Edge EXP is going to be your best bet. Don't forget about the combo price of $299.99 that includes the airframe, with the killer Torque 2814/Airboss 45 Elite ESC power system.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
OOS on the combo!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
I have an AB Elite 45 now. It is at least 1 .5 years old. Are all AB Elite 45s putting out 6 volts to the servos without setting them up that way or only the new ones? In reading the setup instructions on the site there is no mention of being able to program for 6 volt output.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:56 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Yeah, absolutely the Edge EXP is going to be your best bet. Don't forget about the combo price of $299.99 that includes the airframe, with the killer Torque 2814/Airboss 45 Elite ESC power system.
Doc, I love your posts, and the information you provide, and you willingness to help, but jeez... everyone knows you love your sponsors! You don't need to push their products at EVERY opportunity... maybe just frequently
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
I have an AB Elite 45 now. It is at least 1 .5 years old. Are all AB Elite 45s putting out 6 volts to the servos without setting them up that way or only the new ones? In reading the setup instructions on the site there is no mention of being able to program for 6 volt output.
The older AB were not 6v. Maybe you (or a friend that has one) and use a voltage or multimeter to read the output voltage to confirm which model you have.
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
I was hoping he was going to recommend the Extra 300 or the MXS as I really like the blue color schemes in those 2 models. I may have misrepresented my limited skills. I am doing blenders to inverted flat spins snap to hovers, knife edge, pop tops, harriers, and have found that hovering the 59 Slick (about 10 flights as of yesterday) is way easier for me than the 41 edge.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
he probably said Edge because you said stable harrier and floaty is what you're most looking for.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
ahh..Got it!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
I've been told by a few people that unless you are insanely skilled like only a very few here (aj, daniel, joe, cody, doc, etc), go with the one that you think looks best.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:36 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Quote:
OOS on the combo!
Buy the airframe now and they will honor the price combo price when the power systems come in. Power systems shoulkd be back in stock very soon. I know it's not convenient to wait, but that just gives you extra time to get everything else on the plane just perfect.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,807 Posts
Quote:
I was hoping he was going to recommend the Extra 300 or the MXS as I really like the blue color schemes in those 2 models
It's certainly not like I don't recommend them. I love those too. The Edge is just the easiest. With the stuff you are already flying, you can handle any of the Extreme Flight EXPs.

Quote:
I may have misrepresented my limited skills. I am doing blenders to inverted flat spins snap to hovers, knife edge, pop tops, harriers, and have found that hovering the 59 Slick (about 10 flights as of yesterday) is way easier for me than the 41 edge.
Since you already have the 41" Edge, get something different, and the MXS is certainly that. Also, the Extra EXP doesn't look anything like anyone else's Extra, so it is sort of real different too.

With the way you are flying, you can handle and will be happy with any of the EXPs. They are all awesome, just a little different from each other. If you check my blog, there are detailed breakdowns on the flight characteristics of each model, plus lots of helpful set up photos.