HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Maiden uneventful

I'm loving this plane already. Low rates set up as recommended. MY high rates about 2X low rate. Totally flyable at these settings. Balanced at 3.5" and is a bit nose heavy as it loses altitude in a 45 degree inverted climb. That's fine for now. If you refer to my pics a few posts back you can see I can move the battery back with no problem. Actually it's a little tough to get up into the motor box (~ 50%). The two velcro 1" sq hook patches stick like crazy. Running Zippy 2650 mAh 40 C 4S1P batteries. Plenty of power with Torque 820KV and Air Boss 45A ESC. APC 12e as recommended. HS-65MG and HS-81MG also as recommended.
Needs a bit more expo on ailerons and elevator at my high rate. Will increase for tomorrow weather permitting.
Really nice plane ExtremeFlightRC!
This is the first plane I've ever built that needed no "improvements" during the building process. Just a couple of really minor glitches we've already discussed here.
It's a keeper!
terryj is offline Find More Posts by terryj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, WA, Camas
Joined May 2009
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
All,
This morning though I installed the elevator servo (HS-81 MG as recommended) and linkage. The push rod is too short. To get the proper 90 degree at center servo arm geometry, I have only 1-2 threads engaged into the ball ends. You can turn the PR with your fingers a turn or so in either direction and it comes out. No problem with Ailerons. If anything the ball ends are on too far. But not quite bottomed out. This is obviously the intended rod. The remaining rod for the rudder is way too long for the elevator.
Did any others have this problem? If so what did you do about it?
Terry
I had the same problem with mine. Strangely, the only pushrod I had laying around (must have been from an old heli) was the exact length needed. I have no Idea why the one that comes with the plane is so short. I also had trouble with the plywood rudder servo support comming loose from the balsa Fuse. I was able to put a piece of balsa with some glue on it, on the end of some music wire and feed it into the fuse to fix the problem.
I think Extreme flight should add a stiffener to the elevetor servo bay, because mine flexes a lot, which probably detracts from precision manuvers. Not that I fly all that precisely....

So I've got mine almost ready to maiden, and I have a question. I'm no 3D pilot by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd like to learn eventually. I want to start with normal aerobatics (point rolls, Knife edges, Snap rolls, Hammer Heads, etc). Can anyone suggest High and low rates for this type of flying? I want to make sure that on my maiden flight I don't over control the thing. Later on I can swich to 3D rates.
Thanks
Skeletool is offline Find More Posts by Skeletool
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletool View Post
So I've got mine almost ready to maiden, and I have a question. I'm no 3D pilot by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd like to learn eventually. I want to start with normal aerobatics (point rolls, Knife edges, Snap rolls, Hammer Heads, etc). Can anyone suggest High and low rates for this type of flying?
Use the set up from the manual and trim the plane out on low rates. On low it is fairly docile and does great precision.

If you want to fly ther plane strictly as a sport plane for now, set your high rates up to matchg the low rate in the manualk, and then dial the low rate back to where you are happy with it. Check below for an idea how to develop your own sport set up. We have done a sport set up for the Extra, and there is no reason to believe it would not be perfect on the MXS. We just have not had the time to do a set up for the MXS yet, but they are so similar in the way they react that I believe the Extra sport setup would be fine. It is very close to the low rate anyway.

Sport Set Up

Quote:
I want to make sure that on my maiden flight I don't over control the thing. Later on I can swich to 3D rates.
If you can sport fly reasonably well, the MXS on low rates won't give you much problem at all.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
United States, WA, Camas
Joined May 2009
50 Posts
Great! Thanks Doc!
Skeletool is offline Find More Posts by Skeletool
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
...If you can sport fly reasonably well, the MXS on low rates won't give you much problem at all.
Skeletool,
I set mine up with low rates as instructed and high rates about 2x. I took off and trimmed it. Only a couple clicks req'd and it flew fine. Very docile. After a couple of circuits around the field I switched to MY high rates. It was ever so slightly sensitive around center so I later added a little more expo and that tamed it down completely. I didn't try it but I'm not sure it has enough elevator to flare as set up with low rates as instructed in the manual. Mine is not tail heavy. It sinks a little in an inverted 45 degree climb. To me that's perfect for now. I would say 2X low rate settings for initial high rates with about 50% expo is a good safe place to start for sport and precision. At these rates it doesn't snap quite as nice as my 3DHS planes. I'll start increasing my throws a bit now until it feels the way I like. Good luck. I hope your Maiden goes as well as mine did.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
Justin S
United States, NC, Mt Holly
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
At these rates it doesn't snap quite as nice as my 3DHS planes.
I have my CG set so that the MXS flies hands off inverted, and the snaps are pretty clean. I haven't flown this plane as nose heavy as you are setup, but you may get better performance by moving your CG back. Your plane is currently setup more nose heavy than most people setup their precision IMAC machines.
justinsebastian is offline Find More Posts by justinsebastian
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
854 Posts
If the low rates are set per the manual and the high rates are double then the problem is likely not enough control surface throw to get the snap you want. A Slight dive from an inverted 45 degree up line is fine for CG.
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:41 AM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsebastian View Post
I have my CG set so that the MXS flies hands off inverted, and the snaps are pretty clean. I haven't flown this plane as nose heavy as you are setup, but you may get better performance by moving your CG back. Your plane is currently setup more nose heavy than most people setup their precision IMAC machines.
Quite possibly. Just never flying a plane with as much control authority as this at full throws, I wanted to start out without grabbing a "tiger by the tail" on first flights. The plane flies really well now. I'll experiment and move the CG back a smidge and increase the throws until it responds the way I want it to. It's really close now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchief View Post
If the low rates are set per the manual and the high rates are double then the problem is likely not enough control surface throw to get the snap you want. A Slight dive from an inverted 45 degree up line is fine for CG.
Pretty much the same response.

Thanks both for comments.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Aug 2011
174 Posts
Beautiful weather here today. Got in 4 flights on the MXS. Prior to today, I've only had 4 flights on it total, all in windy conditions so never got it trimmed out.
After the first flight, I moved the CG back so it's pretty much hands off inverted and doesn't fall out of 45deg inv up line. I only had to move the battery back about 1/4", but man it felt so much better to me. It fly's great, just need lots of practice to smooth it out!

Also.............. I put triple rate on the elev for now to get used to the 85deg elev
RFairbairn is offline Find More Posts by RFairbairn
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:47 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Sure is pretty.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:14 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Sure is pretty.
+1 It looks great! I'm soooo tempted to buy one, but I wanna wait for the 60".

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:08 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFairbairn View Post
Beautiful weather here today. Got in 4 flights on the MXS. Prior to today, I've only had 4 flights on it total, all in windy conditions so never got it trimmed out.
After the first flight, I moved the CG back so it's pretty much hands off inverted and doesn't fall out of 45deg inv up line. I only had to move the battery back about 1/4", but man it felt so much better to me. It fly's great, just need lots of practice to smooth it out!

Also.............. I put triple rate on the elev for now to get used to the 85deg elev
Pretty! Get your expos and rates dialed in on that big barn door elevator and it'll smooth right out.
hercdriver7777 is online now Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Not that I don't like the new color schemes on the 60" MXS, but I would love a 60" in the same color scheme as the 48" Red White and Blue. That being said, the new Black and Yellow is pretty irresistible.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:00 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Not that I don't like the new color schemes on the 60" MXS, but I would love a 60" in the same color scheme as the 48" Red White and Blue. That being said, the new Black and Yellow is pretty irresistible.
+1 I was just thinking that!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
+1 I was just thinking that!

--Tom K.
Great minds think alike!
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy