HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:20 AM
Magic Blue Smoke costs to much
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Joined Dec 2004
2,710 Posts
Not very happy with my EF Boss speedie. Maiden flight my power switch fell apart on final, she rolled over and smashed up the port wing. Second flight after repairing the wing and cutting off the switch it signed off all together 3 min in. R.I.P. EF MXS......

Love there airframes / kits, will never run there electrics again.
jason H is offline Find More Posts by jason H
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
half-ass Astronaut
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Killed my MXS today.
hey doc whats the chance you salvaged a landing gear from that carnage?
jdubg23 is offline Find More Posts by jdubg23
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:07 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubg23 View Post
hey doc whats the chance you salvaged a landing gear from that carnage?
Landing gear is ok. You can have it if you get me another one.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryj View Post
Thanks Doc. That was my first thought as well. Headed to the workshop now. Plan B would be to try a 2mm heli turnbuckle that is a bit longer. Since you are getter near 90 degrees deflection, geometry must be OK. Take care.
Turning the elevator servo around is a great tip. I wasn't comfortable hammering on the elevator with only a couple threads into the clevis so after the first flying session I turned the servo and also increased the throw. Felt better about the clevis being secured ... but WOW the elevator authority. Really amazed at the MXS' ability to change direction and maintain control. At one point in the second flight today it looked like a hummingbird darting around. Very cool! Wish I had video.
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:28 AM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
No blind nuts for wing tips?

All,
I pretty much finished up mine yesterday except for the wing tips and maybe some decals. I was going for the racing tips (they look cool) but could not find the blind nuts behind the covering. All I've managed to do is chew up the covering and balsa looking for them. Anyone else run into this? If so, what did you do?
Thanks,
Terry
terryj is offline Find More Posts by terryj
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:37 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,018 Posts
Quote:
All,
I pretty much finished up mine yesterday except for the wing tips and maybe some decals. I was going for the racing tips (they look cool) but could not find the blind nuts behind the covering. All I've managed to do is chew up the covering and balsa looking for them. Anyone else run into this? If so, what did you do?
Thanks,
Terry
There are no blind nuts, just run a trim screw into the wood, then remove the screw and Put a drop of ca in the hole to harden the wood. This way the screws will hold stronger when you screw them back in.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:40 AM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
There are no blind nuts, just run a trim screw into the wood, then remove the screw and Put a drop of ca in the hole to harden the wood. This way the screws will hold stronger when you screw them back in.
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just didn't want to drill into it and THEN find a blind nut behind it.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:44 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,018 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. That's what I figured. Just didn't want to drill into it and THEN find a blind nut behind it.
What's really crazy is, when I first got mine, I noticed a couple of dimples in the wing tips that lined up with the holes in the sfg's. So, assuming there were blind nuts here, I removed a little covering and took my exacto and drilled through the wood. Then I used the enclosed machine screws to attach the sfg's and they tightened down pretty tight. After about 50 flights I noticed one of the sfg's was loose and when I tightened it down it wouldn't hold. That's when i figured out there were no blind nuts. So I switched all the machine screws out for some #4 trim screws and hardened the wood with ca. Been fine ever since.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:40 PM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
There is plywood behind the balsa. You must have "tapped" it with the machine screws. I don't think there were holes in the plywood but I'm not sure. I held the tip in place and took a sharpened piece of music wire and pushed it through a plastic tube. I then drilled 1/16" then 5/64" then 3/32" holes. Screwed in #4 sheet metal (socket head) screws then removed them and hardened the threads. I used some fiber washers I had to increase the gap by a few extra .001" to make sure the ailerons wouldn't hit the tips. RTF next weekend.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
Arleta, CA
Joined Aug 2005
544 Posts
Going flying

It was ready last Sunday afternoon but that work thing got in the way.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:06 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
854 Posts
Nice racing stripe on the bottom of the wing.
I hate when that work thing get in the way of fun!
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post

Really wish EF would update some of their manuals at this step, the only one that has had the blind nuts is my EF edge. Now I have 3 big holes in my MXS.

stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

Really wish EF would update some of their manuals at this step, the only one that has had the blind nuts is my EF edge. Now I have 3 big holes in my MXS.

How big? Try using the same size bolts as holds the motor mount on. You'll need the long ones if you are going to use the fiberglas tips.

In the times I have pulled the screw out of the wood and taken wood with it, I have plugged the hole with a little balsa dowel. Just cut it to about the right length, tap it into the hoile, and when flush, soak with CA.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
How big? Try using the same size bolts as holds the motor mount on. You'll need the long ones if you are going to use the fiberglas tips.

In the times I have pulled the screw out of the wood and taken wood with it, I have plugged the hole with a little baksl dowel. Just it to about the right length, tap it into thge hoile, and when flush, soak with CA.
Put some med CA in there and let it harden, then put the screws in. Seems to hold it in fairly well. Can't wait to get this one up in the air. I mounted both tips and SFG's and this one looks like it is going to haul.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:16 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,733 Posts
Quote:
It was ready last Sunday afternoon but that work thing got in the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Put some med CA in there and let it harden, then put the screws in. Seems to hold it in fairly well. Can't wait to get this one up in the air. I mounted both tips and SFG's and this one looks like it is going to haul.
Got off work early today and put 5 packs through the MXS, you guys will enjoy I'm sure. Also have done repair with CA on the wingtips due to using SFG's as training wheels, easy fix. Good luck!
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes