HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:30 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
thanks Blakevan!Just having a little fun with iMovie.Neat little program.need more templates to choose from tho..Lotsa learning to do there Those were some fun days flying too
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,447 Posts
Manta rocks!

I tore up my blue MXS a little yesterday. I am not even sure what happened, but it bounced hard enough to snap both gear legs, break both wheels, shear off a steel axle and crack the spinner cap.

Damage to the airframe was that the two carbon motorbox rods were popped loose at the joint, and a few glue joints were broken where the motorbox goes through the first former. That got twisted enough that I had to force it all back into place, but surprisingly there was no broken wood. I had everything back together and glued in 10 minutes.

The biggest pain was it broke an SFG. That has an $8 decal on it and I did not want to strip the covering, so, and I had to inject CA into the wood through the covering. It is surprising how well that works. CA soaks into everything, so just a sinle pin hole entry point can cover a lot of repeair. Plus, after it dries you can hit it with the trim iron and the entry hole seals up. The tough part is getting hypos, but unfortunetly for them, I have a few diabetic friends.

It was a really hard hit, but I fixed the whole thing, cleaned the plane up, checked all the hinges, critical joints, and tightened all the screws in about 30 mninutes. I am starting to see that part of how I can fly so confidently is because I know most mistakes are not going to do so much damage that I can't fix it fairly easilly. It helps to have so much unshakable faith in the plane's flying abilities, and it is also reassuring to know a small hit isn't going to cost you a replacement airframe.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Manta rocks!

I tore up my blue MXS a little yesterday. I am not even sure what happened, but it bounced hard enough to snap both gear legs, break both wheels, shear off a steel axle and crack the spinner cap.

Damage to the airframe was that the two carbon motorbox rods were popped loose at the joint, and a few glue joints were broken where the motorbox goes through the first former. That got twisted enough that I had to force it all back into place, but surprisingly there was no broken wood. I had everything back together and glued in 10 minutes.

The biggest pain was it broke an SFG. That has an $8 decal on it and I did not want to strip the covering, so, and I had to inject CA into the wood through the covering. It is surprising how well that works. CA soaks into everything, so just a sinle pin hole entry point can cover a lot of repeair. Plus, after it dries you can hit it with the trim iron and the entry hole seals up. The tough part is getting hypos, but unfortunetly for them, I have a few diabetic friends.

It was a really hard hit, but I fixed the whole thing, cleaned the plane up, checked all the hinges, critical joints, and tightened all the screws in about 30 mninutes. I am starting to see that part of how I can fly so confidently is because I know most mistakes are not going to do so much damage that I can't fix it fairly easilly. It helps to have so much unshakable faith in the plane's flying abilities, and it is also reassuring to know a small hit isn't going to cost you a replacement airframe.

WOW!!Again,Doc is the luckiest crasher i know..lolol..It will fly much better now that you doinked it.I've often said best thing to do it take planes out of the box,throw them across the room,fix what you broke,then put it together and go fly and all the rough edges of flying it will be gone hehehehe
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
WOW!!Again,Doc is the luckiest crasher i know..lolol..
Skilled crashing. Get it right! Skilled.

Quote:
It will fly much better now that you doinked it.I've often said best thing to do it take planes out of the box,throw them across the room,fix what you broke,then put it together and go fly and all the rough edges of flying it will be gone
I didn't care about this one from the beginning. I was always intended to be a backup plane, but my flightbox fell over on the tail and crushed it. I fixed it, but there's a patch on the elevator, which makes me crazy. I am trying to kill it so I have an excuse to build a new one.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Skilled crashing. Get it right! Skilled.

I didn't care about this one from the beginning. I was always intended to be a backup plane, but my flightbox fell over on the tail and crushed it. I fixed it, but there's a patch on the elevator, which makes me crazy. I am trying to kill it so I have an excuse to build a new one.
ok skilled!!! lolol.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,447 Posts
No problem. Just a little bad attitude.

Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:47 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
Nice flying Doc!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Started my MXS today.
Need to order two servos, speed control and two 4s batteries.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
Started my MXS today.
Need to order two servos, speed control and two 4s batteries.
congrats HD!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,447 Posts
Not sure what I was thinking on this flight, other than maybe "It's a good thing I have backups."

Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:24 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,447 Posts
Just posted this on the Extreme Flight owners thread... but this thread need some action so here it is. Getting real comfortable with this plane.
Bryan
Extreme flight MXS Flying in the cold (3 min 39 sec)
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:56 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,447 Posts
You harrier looks killer!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,447 Posts
I'm trying to work on inverted harrier... I don't know is weight of skis is counter productive to my success or not.
Bryan
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Just posted this on the Extreme Flight owners thread... but this thread need some action so here it is. Getting real comfortable with this plane.
Bryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkOSHShxgQ
MXS on Skis = Cool! -8 degrees = Pain! You are the man!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:56 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
God, what is all that white stuff....bbbrrrrrrrr looks cold.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger