HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,682 Posts
Not push/pull with thumb and only happens at that location. It is not interfering with 2.4, but the long servo lead is acting like a antenna. Only affects tail servos, with hands off its significantly changes direction of plane. Tower is pretty big but doesn't affect other planes I have. Others that used to use FM had issues all the time at that location. It's such a nice and convenient location I'd like to be able to fly without issues, if it is possible.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:13 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
I suppose you could use the RF rings and give it a shot. Good luck!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,682 Posts
I will next chance I get...keep my fingers crossed. I was just wondering if anyone had the same issues with interference.
Bryan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
What kind of receiver are you using. If it has a satellite antennae maybe try routing it different inside the fuse. Or reorient your reciever. Are you using servo extensions with twisted wire, maybe that will help.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,682 Posts
Quote:
What kind of receiver are you using.
Futaba R6106 HFC, no satellite.

Quote:
Are you using servo extensions with twisted wire, maybe that will help.
I am not but that sounds like a reasonable solution... Know where to buy some?

Anybody ever try Motrolfly motors, the specs seem on the top end for the weight. This is the one I was looking at: http://www.subsonicplanes.com/upload...-950__page.pdf
The Weight is right around the torque motor I am running but with watts much higher then I am getting. Thrust is 120 oz on 4s and 12x6 prop (same as me), for a 50 oz plane, nice! They say 962W, even if that is over stated by 100W that is still almost 200 more then I am getting. I follow a 71" slick forum and a lot of them are running variations of the Motrolfly motor. Looks like a ESC upgrade might be necessary though. Videos of them running this motor brand show a motor that has very good performance, and there reviews seem to be well too. Almost to good to be true... anyone have any user reviews for the size above?

Bryan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:13 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post

Anybody ever try Motrolfly motors, the specs seem on the top end for the weight. This is the one I was looking at: http://www.subsonicplanes.com/upload...-950__page.pdf
The Weight is right around the torque motor I am running but with watts much higher then I am getting. Thrust is 120 oz on 4s and 12x6 prop (same as me), for a 50 oz plane, nice! They say 962W, even if that is over stated by 100W that is still almost 200 more then I am getting. I follow a 71" slick forum and a lot of them are running variations of the Motrolfly motor. Looks like a ESC upgrade might be necessary though. Videos of them running this motor brand show a motor that has very good performance, and there reviews seem to be well too. Almost to good to be true... anyone have any user reviews for the size above?

Bryan
I have a lower KV version of that motor and yes,that motor that you are looking at along with 4s ad a 12x6 prop will rock that plane like a banshee.The specs are NOT overstated if you have good batteries..I am running a 14x7 and 13x6.5 on a 680kv motrolfly. I had the 950 on my edge and it was SICK!!!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:43 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:

Bryan
You can get the twisted wire extensions from HobbyKing or most any other good supplier.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Dec 01, 2011, 03:57 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
If you are looking to run 4S, go for the Motrolfly 2820-750. It has 680kv and you can swing a 14x7 8300RPM's on 4S. The Motolfly 2820-950 is an excellent 3S motor, however. But for 4S, I prefer the 750; more torque, more thrust, low amps(45ish) and more than enough power. I have this setup in my 48" Edge EXP and it is completely INSANE! Check it out:

Extreme Flight Edge 540T EXP__Huckin' in the Wind (4 min 8 sec)
!

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 04:28 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
If you are looking to run 4S, go for the Motrolfly 2820-750. It has 680kv and you can swing a 14x7 8300RPM's on 4S. The Motolfly 2820-950 is an excellent 3S motor, however. But for 4S, I prefer the 750; more torque, more thrust, low amps(45ish) and more than enough power. I have this setup in my 48" Edge EXP and it is completely INSANE! Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1iWr...ayer_embedded#!

--Tom K.
altho I agree with you,this kv is great,and is what I am running,the 950 is a great 3s and 4s motor with a just prop change.The amps are higher but if he has enough esc the motor handles the amps way fine.I tested this setup as well as the one i am running,(as well as you) a year or so ago.Both work great,i just depends on what prop he wants to run.The 950 is more Versitle,the 680 is pretty much 4s only with 13x6.5-14x7 being the main props."for 3d"
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,682 Posts
Nice flying Tom and that motor really pulls that Edge around with authority.
Thanks jetinteriorguy I will give that a try.

On the Motrolfly motors did any of you do any bench test on the motors? I was trying to get the most performance and the 950 has higher performance specs... it runs the 12x6 which seems to be a good prop size for the plane. How much more torque effect do the bigger props have on the plane, and is it very noticible while in hover? Probably more air moving across the control surfaces too. On the other hand, the higher amps will shorten run time, right? What ESC are you guys running with the 750...950?

Thanks
Bryan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:48 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Nice flying Tom and that motor really pulls that Edge around with authority.
Thanks jetinteriorguy I will give that a try.

On the Motrolfly motors did any of you do any bench test on the motors? I was trying to get the most performance and the 950 has higher performance specs... it runs the 12x6 which seems to be a good prop size for the plane. How much more torque effect do the bigger props have on the plane, and is it very noticible while in hover? Probably more air moving across the control surfaces too. On the other hand, the higher amps will shorten run time, right? What ESC are you guys running with the 750...950?

Thanks
Bryan
I run the total plug and play setups with these motrolflys. Yes, I done plenty of bench testing. The prop torque in hover is noticeable, but the planes got aileron bro. The 950 and 12x6 prop will give yOu more jump out of hover I think because it will spin up quicker than the bigger props and the lower kv motor. I like the lower kv setup and bigger props because it is still ubEr power but a little smoother/less to try to control in high alpha. But for POW factor yes you will like the 950kv. Both kv tho really rock these planes. If I recommend one of them I usu recommend the 680. But listening to your requirements I think you would like the 950 more. Yes you give up some run time depending on the left stick position during flight as you will pull more amps than me.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:03 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
I like the big prop waaayyyy better! Torque is only slightly felt... but since there is more air going over the control surfaces, control is much more precise and torque countering is no problem.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,682 Posts
I think I will go with the lower kv if I wouldn't have a esc up grade. What amp esc are you running with the 750 and how does it do?

Bryan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:17 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
I run an 80 amp just because I'm paranoid... but the motor only pulls 45-50some amps so a 60 amp or 70 amp should be good.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:41 AM
United States, FL, Brandon
Joined Dec 2007
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubache View Post
Its ready! Packs charged and radio setup. Already for early morning maiden. I am so very excited! Turned out really nicely and am very pleased with it. Photos DO NOT do this scheme justice. Its soo good looking. The black is actually dark grey metallic. Looks so sweet! So without further adieu here is my monster:

Hacker a30 14L 800kv on 12x6e Falcon and APC
Hacker X55
Hitec HS-65mg's and HS-85mg
Gens Ace 4s 2500mah Lipos x4

Pulls 725w with the Falcon and 825w with the APC. Should be more monster than I can handle Enjoy!

How did you get the Hacker to fit in your cowl?? It is 1.81" long and the Torque is only 1.69". I tried a Heads Up 3548, which is 1.88" long and it sticks past the cowl Big Time!!

Dennis
Hitech1 is offline Find More Posts by Hitech1
Last edited by Hitech1; Dec 30, 2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling