SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Sorry but I don't know how to do the individual quotes (one-liners).
Highlight what you want to quote, and then click on the little "quote" icon on the task bar.

Quote:
Endpoint is 100% on Futaba,
Most of my end points are at 140%.

Quote:
I know Doc you said to take it out physically to eliminate resolution, so do I set max endpoints and drill holes in the control arms to get rid of the physical restraint.
Oh, no. Leave the control arms alone. To add or remove throw mechanically, move the pushrod in or out on the holes in the servo arm.

Quote:
Darn because I was looking for a little more rudder authority in KE.
What you have is pretty good.

Quote:
As far as elevator, I maxed out the endpoints and it was able to handle that and I will be using your guy's techniques on parachute today. Still nothing like your 88 degree throw doc. It is as much as the supplied arms and the radio gear (futaba + HS-85mg) would allow.
I use the long Dubro arm. Check my set up photos.

Quote:
I like the graphics on the blue MXS you have Doc... the white SFG's are sweet, where do I get some?
I stripped a spare set and recovered them myself. The decals are from B&E Graphix
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Nov 24, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:46 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,686 Posts
Quote:
Oh, no. Leave the control arms alone. To add or remove throw mechanically, move the pushrod in or out on the holes in the servo arm.
On the provided servo arm there is only one hole at the very end. I think I am gonna get a set of long du-bro arms tomorrow.

Quote:
Most of my end points are at 140%.
I was trying to make my endpoints on the rudder that but I don't have any mechanical way of removing extra throw without changing out servo arms.

Quote:
Quote:
Darn because I was looking for a little more rudder authority in KE.
What you have is pretty good.
I increased alfa angle and had more rudder control while in KE.

I put 5 packs through the MXS today while it was snowing. Snow depth increased to 4-6 inches which is about as deep as you want to fly the plane with the ski setup I have. With the increased Alfa angle in harrier, wing rock disappeared. In the inverted harrier plane wasn't as stable, I need more practice in that. Parachute is very stable I just had to hit full elevator fast and plane transferred into a flat slow fall. I even landed from parachute in snow, first was a little fast for comfort (no throttle), then I added throttle on consecutive attempts to slow down decent. I wouldn't attempt this on firm ground, but snow softened landing. Plane flew great and need very minimal input to keep level decent.

I attempted waterfalls, take it they were sloppy, but I started getting the feel of the plane and they started looking better. All this was up at altitude but I hope to bring it down someday.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:59 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I think I am gonna get a set of long du-bro arms tomorrow.
Use the second hole from the outside for the elevator and crank your end points. Back themn off a little if you get any binding. You shopuld get about 88 degrees of elevator!

Quote:
All this was up at altitude but I hope to bring it down someday.
Coming sooner than you think. The EXPs fly a bit different, but once you figure it out you're confidence will soar.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
You mentioned it's not as stable in inverted harrier? On most planes (and I'm pretty sure it applies to this one) inverted harrier is more stable than upright (I think it's because of where the drag on the plane is, i.e. landing gear). But I'd try increasing the AOA in inverted as well, unless you already tried that.

Glad you're getting it dialed in! Once you get it set up correctly, the rest is butter!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Nov 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,994 Posts
Finally soccer season is over and my favorite large flying field is open, and it is a perfect day. Other than killing the lg mount on my 60" Edge, I had a ball with my MXS. I really need to fly this thing more and get more comfortable with it. I just need a lot of sky to fly this thing the way it covers ground. Hopefully we'll get more decent weather for a while longer and no more soccer. I want some more air time with it before winter sets in.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 26, 2011, 07:47 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Went out to SPARKS today and flew with Doc... he hammered the heck out of his MXS today! He did one low level wall and I think he was at just the right altitude because the rudder rotated down and I'm not sure if I heard it scrape the ground or not... if it didn't, it only missed by a couple millimeters and if it hit, is was so perfect that it would have just scraped a fiber off the ultracote. Great flying Austin!

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:07 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,994 Posts
Are you guy's using the HS84MG's in the elevator on your MXS. I'm still running the Emax ES08MD digital's in mine and they work very well, but I did pick up a new HS84MG for half price when the lhs went out of business a couple of weeks ago and am thinking of putting it in my MXS.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:25 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Are you guy's using the HS84MG's in the elevator on your MXS.
HS85MG. I also use those on the elevators of the rest of my EXPs.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:48 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Another option is the Savox SH-0255MG. 54 oz/in of torque, 0.13 seconds, digital, $33... but it has the same mounting pattern as the HS-65MG.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:01 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
HS85MG. I also use those on the elevators of the rest of my EXPs.
Oh yeah, sorry about the typo. It's an HS85MG. I also had a brain fart, it's been so long since I have flown the MXS I forgot I already have the HS85MG in it. My wife says it's early onset senility, I say it's all the years of sniffing glue.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:40 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,047 Posts
Looks like Testors. Didn't know Lloyd was a modeller.

Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:25 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Looks like Testors. Didn't know Lloyd was a modeller.

I just checked the mirror, I don't quite look that bad yet.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:47 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I just checked the mirror, I don't quite look that bad yet.
I don't know... I think he looks pretty good! .............
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,686 Posts
Tail servo interference

Anyone get tail interference from the long run of servo leads. I have a big transmitting tower at one of my flying sites and noticed a small rudder turn in a straight up climb. Any chance of a brown out from this. I was told that it wasnt a possibility but I'd like to be sure. I bought a interference rings to combat this, anyone use with success?
Thanks
Bryan
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:59 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
If you fly 2.4 you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure the rudder movement isn't just your thumb accidentally pushing it with throttle. Also, is it going up to the left? Could be torque.

--Tom K.
RCG Plus Member