HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:27 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fk27bob View Post
I think I am going to try moving the linkage in on the servo arm and see if I can get back some resolution.
First, it sounds like you understand resolution, so you probably already have your high rates set at 100%. You also want to peg your end points too, and if that's too much throw, take it out mechanically. I do everything I can to keep my end points maxxed so I get the highest resolution I can.

I use the Dubro extended arm (second hole from the outside), but if you use the G10 extension that comes with the kit and maxx your end points, you'll get around 65-70 of elevator throw. That will give you the big thro and high resolution.

I like the 90 degree throw for super hard rotations in walls and parachutes, plus it comes in handy for KE spins, snaps and such.

Quote:
Did you miss the 70-80 degree elevator throws at any time?
I tried a low rate of 50 and high of 90. It harriers easier on low, but it doesn't pop as hard in walls, parachutes and such. Once you get used to all that authority, it is kind of hard to live without it.

I just leave it on high rates all the time, even when I fly it fast. I just learned to do it that way because I stay so busy flying the plane I don't have time to play with the switch. I am probably just going to disable my rates and fly it on "kill" all the time.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:05 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,133 Posts
Fk27bob, it would not cost you much to try just 1 digital on the elevator and see if it is what you are looking for. I switched to Airtronics 94809's and love them.........TomK on here uses the digital savox and seems to have good luck with them, so there are options.
Finally, can you ever go wrong with a digital servo.......just saying.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is online now Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:21 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
This is where I have mine set as well, for me it seems optimal for all around flying. It still does great elevators and all the tumbling, but I don't have as much of a tendency to overdo it in harrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Yea,not sure I like the big throw either. I put the elevator on a 3 position switch. It's really cool for tumbles and also "falling leaf" those are really cool.
Since you can only get 55 to 60 degrees of down elevator due to the control horn hitting the stab, I set the up elevator to the same amount.

I just never had a need to get 85 deg of up and 60 degree of down as the Edge, Extra and MXS would elevator straight down with 60deg. It's just a preference thing that's all

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:40 PM
United States, AL, Pelham
Joined Jan 2011
45 Posts
For those of you who like me needed landing gear I thought I'd tell you what I did. I also own a PA Addiction X and the gear is almost identical in dimensions as the Extra's but much stronger and about twice as thick at the wheel pants/axle area.

What I did to make the two piece gear work was cut the center section out of my broken gear and use it as a "holding strap" for the two PA gear pieces. I then drilled a center hole through each gear half that lined up with the center section of the old gear then put the screws though both pieces and snugged them up. Once I got everything squared up I touched a little thin CA and let it run between the strap and the gear. I hit it with kicker and at this point you can take the gear off as one piece. I hit it with a little more CA (overkill) and then permanently installed them back on the plane.

I originally thought I may have to drill another hole to keep the gear haves from twisting since they only have one screw through them but the carbon fiber seems to create enough friction between itself not to allow that......the CA is just "Extra" insurance. It's solid as a rock and the gear are readily available from Precision Aerobatics. The wheel pants/wheels and axles required no modification and bolted up perfectly. Sitting on the ground it's already more solid and looks identical to the old gear.

I feel much better about this than the original design. I think Doc said they were changing the subsequent batches of gear to be thicker but they are still on backorder.

If you have any questions PM me. I can email a photo to you of what I did if you like.
bigtiii is offline Find More Posts by bigtiii
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:36 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's a little video of the second flight of my MXS. The first flight was about trimming (virtually nothing) and playing with the CG. I now have a 2650 4s up against the wing tube. I need to get out the amp meter to see if the ESC can handle a little more prop.

Extreme Flight RC MXS-EXP - Test Drive (4 min 28 sec)
Oatmeal Savage is offline Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
45 Posts
Nice video! Great flying.

That's exactly where I put my 2650s.

4s and a 13x5 Vox prop. What prop are you using?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:02 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiii View Post
Nice video! Great flying.

That's exactly where I put my 2650s.

4s and a 13x5 Vox prop. What prop are you using?
Right now, it's got a 12x6 and I was going to try a 13x4. If you're using a 13x5, I think I should be okay but I will use the meter to be on the safe side. Are you running a 45 amp esc?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2011
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
Right now, it's got a 12x6 and I was going to try a 13x4. If you're using a 13x5, I think I should be okay but I will use the meter to be on the safe side. Are you running a 45 amp esc?
60 (I had one laying around) and I'm not getting anywhere close to that. Vox props are good that way. Vs the APC I was using they weigh about half.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:49 AM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiii View Post
60 (I had one laying around) and I'm not getting anywhere close to that. Vox props are good that way. Vs the APC I was using they weigh about half.
Thanks, I'll have to give the Vox props a try. Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Nice flying Oatmeal! Thanks for posting.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:18 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Nice flying Oatmeal! Thanks for posting.
It's a great little plane.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Poiltics is a Contact Sport
Best President of the 21st Century
Joined Nov 2007
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal Savage View Post
Hey Guys,

Here's a little video of the second flight of my MXS. The first flight was about trimming (virtually nothing) and playing with the CG. I now have a 2650 4s up against the wing tube. I need to get out the amp meter to see if the ESC can handle a little more prop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXQy4GEbu0
Oatmeal, great video! Looks like you were sewing some "Wild Oats."
The video color and camera work was equally outstanding, I see another Extreme Team Pilot in the horizon.
FlyCush is offline Find More Posts by FlyCush
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:28 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCush View Post
Oatmeal, great video! Looks like you were sewing some "Wild Oats."
The video color and camera work was equally outstanding, I see another Extreme Team Pilot in the horizon.
I'd really like to take credit for the flying but I can't. The flying was done by a buddy of mine (who is a much better pilot than I am) while I did the camera work. I'll be sure to pass along your kind comments. Thanks for taking the time to reach out, much appreciated.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:39 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,585 Posts
Nice Oatmeal!

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:41 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Nice Oatmeal!

--Tom K.
Thanks very much.