SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:15 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N_O_V8_R View Post
Now, if YouTube just had a slo-mo button.
You can download most of our videos from Vimeo if you join (which is free). Then you can run it through Windows Movie Maker at half speed and save it like that.

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Aug 09, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:30 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Hey Doc...how will the MXS run on say a 3000-4000 4S pack? Will it even fit? Too heavy? Anyone running a 3300 4S pack?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
ITS HERE!!!!!!!! Bout freaking time! Now to start building tonite. Oh im so very excited! Its so nicely packaged and built I am very happy.

Observations:
1) Love the fact that they sent me a tonne of decals. Sheets for both red and blue airframes. nice touch.
2) Packaged like you bought something expensive. It was really very very well packaged and each part placed in a way to prevent any sort of shipping damage. Almost like someone cared
3) Airframe. The pictures do NOT do it justice. Its simply so far ahead of other airframes in how its designed and made strong its really quite amazing.
4) Rigid. My first thought was WOW this thing is RIGID.
5) Cowl. So well finished. Painted with extra care and packaged to prevent damage. Really nice.
6) The air flow hole in the bottom is already precut. Its a simple detail but its really nice to see it done. Also... the former in the airframe is angled to lead trapped air out nicely. Someone was thinking.
7) Maybe its me but the covering feels substantial. After a recent experience with my friends 1.5 edge this feels thicker / stronger. Odd.

Ok thats it for now. Really pleased with my choice... and I haven't even flown it! lol.
Brubache is offline Find More Posts by Brubache
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:56 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Hey Doc...how will the MXS run on say a 3000-4000 4S pack? Will it even fit? Too heavy? Anyone running a 3300 4S pack?
I am running 4s 2700s, so I am not that far away from 3000mah. I think it would be ok on 4s 4000, especially if you were just sport flying it, but for 3D I am guessing that would make it sluggish.

In the beginning, I flew my Extra EXP on 3s 2250 packs, and it was really floaty. I later changed up to 3s 2650 and could feel a difference. It was still nice and floaty, just not as much. I know we are talking different planes, but my point is that you can feel just about any little weight you can hang on the plane. I'm sure the MXS would be fine on 4000, but not nearly as good.

Another issue is that my blue MXS balances with the 4s 2700 pack about 1/4 from the wing tube. You'de need weight in the tail with a bigger pack, so you are adding it at both ends.....not a good road to go down, though with all that weight, it would probably tumble like golf ball in the dryer.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brubache View Post
Packaged like you bought something expensive.
The boxes are so nice I can't bring myself to throw them away. I have a nice collection going.

Quote:
(3) Airframe. The pictures do NOT do it justice. Its simply so far ahead of other airframes in how its designed and made strong its really quite amazing.
The more you fly it and work on it, the more little things you will see. There are a lot of big things, obviously, but it is the details that set the great planes apart.

For instance, take a look at the bottom rear edge of the canopy. It's those kind of details that give you a long lasting airframe.

Quote:
Ok thats it for now. Really pleased with my choice... and I haven't even flown it!
Take your time with it and enjoy the build. If you need any set up help, send me a PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:27 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,018 Posts
Quote:
ITS HERE!!!!!!!! Bout freaking time! Now to start building tonite. Oh im so very excited! Its so nicely packaged and built I am very happy.

Observations:
1) Love the fact that they sent me a tonne of decals. Sheets for both red and blue airframes. nice touch.
2) Packaged like you bought something expensive. It was really very very well packaged and each part placed in a way to prevent any sort of shipping damage. Almost like someone cared
3) Airframe. The pictures do NOT do it justice. Its simply so far ahead of other airframes in how its designed and made strong its really quite amazing.
4) Rigid. My first thought was WOW this thing is RIGID.
5) Cowl. So well finished. Painted with extra care and packaged to prevent damage. Really nice.
6) The air flow hole in the bottom is already precut. Its a simple detail but its really nice to see it done. Also... the former in the airframe is angled to lead trapped air out nicely. Someone was thinking.
7) Maybe its me but the covering feels substantial. After a recent experience with my friends 1.5 edge this feels thicker / stronger. Odd.

Ok thats it for now. Really pleased with my choice... and I haven't even flown it! lol.
The quality and thoughtfulness in the design on EF planes is top notch. I remember when I first got my MXS I was blown away at how nice it is made. It just seems like every detail is oriented towards both durability and performance unlike other ARF's. They are truly awsome and fly so nice. Right now my beautiful 60" Edge is waiting on a motor, and my little Sabre is toast, and my 55" Edge is having issues with the motor cutting out at the end of a ke spin and subsequent crash, so the MXS is getting all my attention. I am still working on some fine tuning but this thing is really getting dialed in and I am having a lot of fun with it. Right now I'm just playing with the cg a little and honing my radio settings and it is getting very close to perfect. I think I'm finally starting to appreciate the fact that this thing dosn't fly like my other planes and it's about time I learn to fly it the way it's supposed to be. It's truly becoming a learning experience and I think in the long run will improve my skills.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:31 PM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
Whats the best way to attach the hinges? Do i have to worry about getting CA on the part of the hinge between the wing and aileron? Or do you just add the drops and go??
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:45 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,018 Posts
Quote:
Whats the best way to attach the hinges? Do i have to worry about getting CA on the part of the hinge between the wing and aileron? Or do you just add the drops and go??
I usually flex the joint, then add a two or three drops to the hinge on each side of the joint. Then I flip it over and repeat. If you add a little too much just keep a rag handy to wipe it quick before it sets up. If you get too much on the plane covering you can use debonder to wipe it clean. I like Great Planes debonder, it works real well.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:22 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
This is a repost of a video that Utube killed the soundtrack on. Sounds much better now.

The conditions are horrible, but it was a good way to show how well the MXS handles the wind.

I normally don't like to brag about being stupid, but on this plane I have already has to nasty incidents. I landed it full throttle inverted in the grass at the bottom of a big outside loop. I just misjudged the elevation change and that's all it took. It didn't hurt anything, so I just threw it back in the air!

The next day about 10 seconds into the first (and only) flight of the day I did a Double waterfall right into the the runway on the gear and spinner. Obviously the gear didn't make it, but the landing gear block didn't even flex enough to wrinkle the covering. All it did to he airframe was knock the two bottom motorbox carbon braces loose from their glue joints on the first former. It also knocked one of the anti rotation pins in on the wing, but that pushed back into place and secured real nice with a couple of drops of CA.

I think it is amazing this plane has had such a hard life and that is all the damage I have been able to do to it. Funny that it was after all of these misadventures the plane still flew well enough that I made what I think is my best video ever with it, Scraps From the Cutting Room Floor.

Clearly the MXS is a pretty stout piece of work, but it has surprised even me. After what I put my original MXS through I was already impressed, but this plane is something else.

I've got a new blue one on the way for a couple of reasons. I want a blue backup, because I have really learned to like the looks of it. At first I still loved the red best, but after flying the blue some I have to say it is pretty classy, and it's definately pretty. The other reason I want another one is that I really enjoy putting EXP series planes together.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Aug 10, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:21 AM
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
I have some spare parts left over from my departed 48mxs -red color. Carbon Landing gear, one wing panel, stab&elevator, rudder, and SFGs. All parts were undamaged in the crash. PM me if you're interested. I'll need to find a suitable box for shipping. I also have the other wing panel, but there's slight damage to the wing root rib, but can easily be fixed.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:31 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
I have some spare parts left over from my departed 48mxs -red color. Carbon Landing gear, one wing panel, stab&elevator, rudder, and SFGs. All parts were undamaged in the crash. PM me if you're interested. I'll need to find a suitable box for shipping. I also have the other wing panel, but there's slight damage to the wing root rib, but can easily be fixed.

What happened?

Why not get a new one and save the parts for spares? You can't be without an MXS.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
I crashed it on the maiden flight a couple months ago when the elevator servo arm came undone from the control horn. I even used locktite on the nut holding it on. So don't know what happened. I've had a run of bad luck with the 48" exps, so I'm saving up for the 60 Extra or possibly a 71slick, or Both!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:38 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Quote:
I crashed it on the maiden flight a couple months ago when the elevator servo arm came undone from the control horn.
Sorry. Now I remember. I just bought a bag of 2MM locknuts and 2 X12mm case hardened allen blots from Micro fasteners (Their ad and contact info is in Model Aviation). With the 12mm bolt I can get a lock nut on, and then a standard nut. I turn the nuts against each other and there is no way that is ever coming apart. Again, with the 12mm bolt I have enough threads left over to put a drop of thick CA on, and not even the Apocalypse is going to pull that thing apart.

Quote:
I even used locktite on the nut holding it on. So don't know what happened.
I guess I must have some OCD going or something because I always obsess over getting those perfect. Years ago I was replacing the bolts with longer Dubros and double nutting, but I could never find a 2mm locknut. I always worried about having a problem, and I remember now that your loss is what made me get off my duff and call Micro Fasteners.

Quote:
I've had a run of bad luck with the 48" exps,
I lost two Edges (one of which was brand new) in three days, so I feel your pain. Both were dumb thumbs, so I spent a lot of time being angry with myself.

Quote:
so I'm saving up for the 60 Extra......
I'm Just waiting on the slow boat from china.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
If it hovers I fly it.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2010
130 Posts
So got to building last nite finally! Its a great build. I am sure you have all seen it before but thought I would put some up anyway.

Observations: The whole hardware set is top notch. The wheel pants? Awesome! The landing block is amazing. Just look so very TOUGH. I have to say this color combo is just stunning in person. looks really really good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,284 Posts
Man, you really jumped on it and got a lot done.