HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Most of us here use the CA hinges and I personally have 1000s of flights on these planes with CA hinges without any issue of any kind. My recommendation is to stick with the supplied hinges.

EXP stands for Experimental Progressive.
Thanks a lot Hercdriver77777.. I'll stick to the orignal CA hinges..
Anybody want to buy nylon hinges that I don't need ?? LOL
Juiced76 is offline Find More Posts by Juiced76
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:40 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced76 View Post
Hey guys, who can help me out?? I just started building the MXS and got the tip to use nylon hinges (with a pin for hinging as it is supposed to be stronger) instead of the CA hinges provided, what dou you guys think??
By the way, what does the EXP in MXS-EXP stands for, experimental??
Funny you should ask, just last week two of the hinges in the top of my rudder broke causing the bottom one to tear out of the fuse. Luckily I got it down in one piece. I cleaned the old hinges out and replaced all three of them with the Dubro ca hinges. I like ca hinges, I think the Dubro ones should be stronger since they are a little wider and don't have the slot cutout in the middle. I havn't had a single problem with any of the others, and I havn't been dragging the rudder. But I do a lot of high speed tumbles and snaps at wot so that might have something to do with it. I'm going to keep my eye on the elevator, with 80+ deg of deflection the wot tumbles might be tough on them as well and If they look like they are going to go I'd rather catch it before it's too late.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:40 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced76 View Post
Hey guys, who can help me out?? I just started building the MXS and got the tip to use nylon hinges (with a pin for hinging as it is supposed to be stronger) instead of the CA hinges provided, what dou you guys think??
By the way, what does the EXP in MXS-EXP stands for, experimental??
Whoever gave you that tip is not doing you any favors. Use the CA hinges provided they work fine.
Jeff Williams
jwilliamsrc is online now Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:46 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
I should clarify my previous post, the hinges that broke in my rudder were the stock ca hinges, they were not the plastic type with a hinge pin. I don't know why the stock ones broke, maybe it was the type of ca I used, maybe I used too much ca, who knows. I'm not necessarily anticipating any problems with the rest of my hinges, I havn't heard of anyone else having a problem with them.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:12 PM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I should clarify my previous post, the hinges that broke in my rudder were the stock ca hinges, they were not the plastic type with a hinge pin. I don't know why the stock ones broke, maybe it was the type of ca I used, maybe I used too much ca, who knows. I'm not necessarily anticipating any problems with the rest of my hinges, I havn't heard of anyone else having a problem with them.
That is rare but from time to time CA hinges do break, well in fact all of them have at one time or another.
Jeff
Old May 01, 2011, 04:59 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
I am having some trouble with the esc response from dead stop. There is a significant lag time and amount of stick movement before the motor responds, and sometimes it goes backward for about a revolution or two and if I stop the throttle and then throttle up again it might go or it might not. Sometimes it takes four or five tries with the throttle beore it will even go. I've tried adjusting the endpoints on my throttle which helps, but the next time I shut off the tx and turn it on again the endpoints are off and have to be adusted again before the throttle will even work. I am using an A9 and have the version 1.08 updated. I don't have the instruction manual for the Airboss esc, or if I did have it I can't find it, I'm just wondering if maybe the esc needs to be recalibrated for the throttle or something. All this makes it so difficult to fly low and do harriers because the throttle low end response just plain sucks and is frustrating the heck out of me. I like all other aspects of this plane but this part is driving me nuts.
Old May 01, 2011, 05:09 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,816 Posts
Quote:
I am having some trouble with the esc response from dead stop. There is a significant lag time and amount of stick movement before the motor responds, and sometimes it goes backward for about a revolution or two and if I stop the throttle and then throttle up again it might go or it might not.
You can bump your trim switch up a bit and that willl take care of it, but I run a throttle to throttle mix. That way I flip a switch and the motor will idle. that completely kills the any delay.

I put my idle and my timer on the same switch, so I can't forget my timer any more!
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 01, 2011, 05:17 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
1,979 Posts
Quote:
I am having some trouble with the esc response from dead stop. There is a significant lag time and amount of stick movement before the motor responds, and sometimes it goes backward for about a revolution or two and if I stop the throttle and then throttle up again it might go or it might not. Sometimes it takes four or five tries with the throttle beore it will even go. I've tried adjusting the endpoints on my throttle which helps, but the next time I shut off the tx and turn it on again the endpoints are off and have to be adusted again before the throttle will even work. I am using an A9 and have the version 1.08 updated. I don't have the instruction manual for the Airboss esc, or if I did have it I can't find it, I'm just wondering if maybe the esc needs to be recalibrated for the throttle or something. All this makes it so difficult to fly low and do harriers because the throttle low end response just plain sucks and is frustrating the heck out of me. I like all other aspects of this plane but this part is driving me nuts.
Mine was exactly the same. On first power up the motor went backwards for about half a revolution and it was lazy like heli slow sartup was enabled... I went through all the ESC settings and made sure they were all correct, now the response is snappy but it still does the backwards thing... weird
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old May 01, 2011, 05:30 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,816 Posts
I have a few that do that funky chicken spazm thing on the ground, but never in the air, even without running the mix. I have run the mix for awhile simply because it gives you a better response, but it's just a bonus that it kills off the funky chicken spazm.
Old May 01, 2011, 05:57 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
You can bump your trim switch up a bit and that willl take care of it, but I run a throttle to throttle mix. That way I flip a switch and the motor will idle. that completely kills the any delay.

I put my idle and my timer on the same switch, so I can't forget my timer any more!
I've tried this and it dosn't work, It seems like every time I power down and power up it needs to be reset until eventually the esc won't power up without reseting the whole model. I just know I'm probably doing something screwy, I can't help but feel the esc needs to be recalibrated for the throttle end points but I can't find my directions to tell me how to do this. I have tried both using the trim switch and setting both the EPA, and I tried setting an idle up using a toggle switch but the settings don't stay the same everytime I shut off the tx and turn it back on. I'll just keep on trying, it may be something going on with the tx. I'll post a question in the A9 thread and see if anyone can give me a suggestion. Thanks Doc, the help is always appreciated. Les
Old May 01, 2011, 07:05 PM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
1,948 Posts
jetinteriorguy, here is a link to the manual

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/manua...boss_Elite.pdf

I had this problem too and found it to be end points with trim and something else maybe curve, cannot remember exactly but keep toying around you will find it. However, I am not using Hitec I got an Airtronics SD10G so not sure on yours. Can be frustrating in the mean time.
Jeff Williams
Old May 01, 2011, 07:57 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
jetinteriorguy, here is a link to the manual

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/manua...boss_Elite.pdf

I had this problem too and found it to be end points with trim and something else maybe curve, cannot remember exactly but keep toying around you will find it. However, I am not using Hitec I got an Airtronics SD10G so not sure on yours. Can be frustrating in the mean time.
Jeff Williams
Thanks for the link, I did remember I had put the manual in my transmitter case, it was under the foam packing. I did disable the soft start which helped a little, then I found a point in the EPA where it helped and the esc would still arm. I think if I just bump up the throttle trim until it just idles and then back it off when I change batt's and bump it up again every time it will work ok, it's just kind of a pita but if it works and helps I'll just do this until I figure something else out. Thanks. Les
Old May 01, 2011, 09:54 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,816 Posts
Quote:
I've tried this and it dosn't work, ...... I'll post a question in the A9 thread and see if anyone can give me a suggestion.

Ooops! I'm flying Futaba. I don't know if it will work on Hi Tech.

What I have done is set a switch that mixes the throttle to the throttle. You have to have the switch off when you plug in because the ESC is looking for the end points when it powers up. Then you can flip it on.

Whyen you program it, set you throttle to closed, power up, fliup the switch on and then adjust the mix. I think mine is set at about -30% or so but this is going to differ with different equipment.

Odd thing is, sometimes I can't get mine to work on a new program until I fiddle with it a bit, and then it's ok. I've tried to help a few other guys do it by PM and phone and they aren't having any luck.
Old May 02, 2011, 04:53 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Ooops! I'm flying Futaba. I don't know if it will work on Hi Tech.

What I have done is set a switch that mixes the throttle to the throttle. You have to have the switch off when you plug in because the ESC is looking for the end points when it powers up. Then you can flip it on.

Whyen you program it, set you throttle to closed, power up, fliup the switch on and then adjust the mix. I think mine is set at about -30% or so but this is going to differ with different equipment.

Odd thing is, sometimes I can't get mine to work on a new program until I fiddle with it a bit, and then it's ok. I've tried to help a few other guys do it by PM and phone and they aren't having any luck.
This is what's driving me nuts, the fact that the esc is resetting every time based on the endpoints that I keep adjusting in the radio. So I just need to figure out how to set this up on a switch so when it's off and I plug in the esc it calibrates itself to the regular endpoints, then I can flip a switch with the new setting and it's good to go. Like you say Doc, I'll just keep fiddling with it and like always I'll eventually figure it out.
Old May 02, 2011, 09:24 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,816 Posts
Quote:
This is what's driving me nuts, the fact that the esc is resetting every time based on the endpoints that I keep adjusting in the radio. So I just need to figure out how to set this up on a switch so when it's off and I plug in the esc it calibrates itself to the regular endpoints, then I can flip a switch with the new setting and it's good to go. Like you say Doc, I'll just keep fiddling with it and like always I'll eventually figure it out.
OK, set your end points at 100 or whatever default is. THEN, you can program the mix. See, the switch has to be off because the ESC looks for the end points when when you plug it in. Once it cycles and beeps and does all that, you can set the mix.

I don't monkey with the end points or use a curve or anything. It is just a simple channel 3 to channel 3 mix. I put it on my "A" switch, and when I flip it, the mix goes from 0 to -30 or so.

I think some guys might be screwing themselves up by making it too complicated. Just try a simple 3 to 3 mix, but make sure the switch is off when you plug the battery in and wait intil it cycles.

I may have to take a picture later of my display and post it. Again, Hi Tech radios might not allow you to do this mix. I simply don't know becvause I have never worked with one.