HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:14 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,929 Posts
Thanks FlyWW1. I'm actually happy to dish out for the torque... just not in the next few months! The new year budget was blown on a 72" bird and parts, and the 47 SHP was really not supposed to die. The MXS was always in the pipeline, just later.

I'll try it with the a30-12l first, I guess. I'm now more worried about cowling positioning after switching motors. It shouldn't be an issue, I hope.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:05 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
My 47" SHP died today, so I went out and bought this birdy.
Sorry about that, but welcome to the EXP club. Check my blog for MXS articles with set up info and photos.

Quote:
Also, for now I'm probably the limiting factor in the airframe's potential
I think most of us would say the same thing about ourselves.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:48 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,929 Posts
Thanks doc

Finished building everything up except the motor and cowling. Quite painless. The ball link hardware, pre-cut hole and tail wheel are nice. The internal structure of the tailfeathers are quite unlike anything I've ever seen, a cross hatch of wood! Very interesting.

After assembly, do you guys put covering over the extra long hole where your elevator goes in?

Now I just wait for the motor to arrive and hook it up, if it gets to me by this week I'm good to go by the weekend. Fingers crossed.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:10 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,102 Posts
Leaving the opening in the tail allows some airflow thru the fuse to pass over the servos. In hot weather this is good for the servos.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:55 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,929 Posts
Thanks Liberty10, I shall leave it open.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:07 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,619 Posts
My MXS met the gravel road today with a thunderous boom! Luckily she is tough as nails and I hit just right. Just a broken prop and cowl. Dodged a bullet! From the sound of it I thought it was totaled. Got to love this thing
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
My MXS met the gravel road today with a thunderous boom! Luckily she is tough as nails and I hit just right. Just a broken prop and cowl. Dodged a bullet! From the sound of it I thought it was totaled. Got to love this thing
This plane is tuff as nails... I put mine through hell.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,022 Posts
I haven't flown my red MXS in over a year. Man, was that thing ever dusty! I wiped it down with Rapid Tac cleaner and polish and then ran three packs through it at suset. It was sure intense, but I loved it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,619 Posts
Over a year?!? What has been flying in it's place? 64" MXS?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:47 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Over a year?!? What has been flying in it's place? 64" MXS?
60" Extra got a lot of love this year ad the Laser got a lot of attention too. That and the 64" MXS. The 48" Extras will always get the most attention from me.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:56 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,929 Posts
Ready for maiden. Hacker a30-12l is stuck on a UPS truck, so I put on the Turnigy SK3 3542-800kv motor on it for now, turning a 12x6 APCe with 4S 2600mah revolectrix battery.

Used both the SFGs and wingtips. It looks really big for a 48"... hoping the presence translates into the sky .
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:02 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,619 Posts
Looks pretty big in the sky too! Good luck on maiden!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:34 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,929 Posts
640W of power on the ground for a 48" plane . It'll hover at around 50% throttle on a fully charged pack. I'm scared!

Also, my rudder servo is vibrating like mad around the center without load. It stops vibrating when the prop wash goes over it at about 40% throttle. Still trying to decide whether to fly it as is or replace the rudder servo.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:18 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Also, my rudder servo is vibrating like mad around the center without load. It stops vibrating when the prop wash goes over it at about 40% throttle. Still trying to decide whether to fly it as is or replace the rudder servo.
Put a small piece of Velcro ( the cloth side) between your vertical slab and rudder will calm that servo down.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:47 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,022 Posts
Quote:

If that's an analog servo it sounds like you've got a dirty or scored potentiometer. The problem just gets worse and worse and eventually you'll be able to see the surface moving in the air! If it's a Hi Tec, they usually fix that and never charge me for it.