HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:24 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
i would say downgraded,but thats just me... muuuch easier is on laser with blind nuts and thumb screws...
I never take the SFGs off on my 48"s anyway. I always just throw those in the back seat and go flying.

I believe initially a few blind nuts fell out, then they changed the construction methoud. I cut open the last Edge that I wrecked and now those come with a hex nut that is countersunk into a laser cut piece of plywood and glued to the back of the rib. I mean the actual matching hex is cut into the wood to the appropriate depth. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It is incredibly well engineered. Like I have always said, the deeper you dig into an EXP, the better they look.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:33 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I never take the SFGs off on my 48"s anyway. I always just throw those in the back seat and go flying.

I believe initially a few blind nuts fell out, then they changed the construction methoud. I cut open the last Edge that I wrecked and now those come with a hex nut that is countersunk into a laser cut piece of plywood and glued to the back of the rib. I mean the actual matching hex is cut into the wood to the appropriate depth. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It is incredibly well engineered. Like I have always said, the deeper you dig into an EXP, the better they look.
yeah i know what you mean... i screwed up 1 blind nut on my laser and now it has 3 thumbscrews and 1 selftapping screw... but still, now i know what NOT to do and given the choice would allways take thumbscrews... (at least where i allways take wings and sfg off)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:49 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
yeah i know what you mean... i screwed up 1 blind nut on my laser and now it has 3 thumbscrews and 1 selftapping screw... but still, now i know what NOT to do and given the choice would allways take thumbscrews... (at least where i allways take wings and sfg off)
On one of my planes I just drilled the hole and threaded the steel allen bolt in. The balsa is soft enough and the steel hard enough that it will actually tap itself in, but you do have to drill the hole to a size that is at least close. If you do that you can order some thumbscrews because they will fit the same hole. That's a lot easier than installing or replacing a blind nut.

Actually, the best way to do it is to use the right drill and tap.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:58 PM
Registered User
stanordave's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
Finally maidened! Not too bad..only had a real heavy battery (4s 3.3ma) and it was rather windy (12-18) and gusty so took it easy but looks like it will be a very nice plane to unwind with (by winding it up).

Did have a problem though..on landing, had a strong cross wind. Normally I do a slip landing or angle into the wind but landed in a crab today. Right gear snapped off about 1" above the axle. Didn't think it was a very rough landing (but then again, do we ever?). Anyway, hope I have a spare that will fit..supposed to be real nice out the next few days...

cheers,
Mike

[edit: set break w/CA and used 2 wraps of epoxy and fiberglass. Hopefully holds forever]
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Last edited by stanordave; Jan 31, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:34 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
Finally maidened! Not too bad..only had a real heavy battery (4s 3.3ma) and it was rather windy (12-18) and gusty so took it easy but looks like it will be a very nice plane to unwind with (by winding it up).

Did have a problem though..on landing, had a strong cross wind. Normally I do a slip landing or angle into the wind but landed in a crab today. Right gear snapped off about 1" above the axle. Didn't think it was a very rough landing (but then again, do we ever?). Anyway, hope I have a spare that will fit..supposed to be real nice out the next few days...

cheers,
Mike

[edit: set break w/CA and used 2 wraps of epoxy and fiberglass. Hopefully holds forever]
There you go worked well for me... actually fixed twice that way on the same gear.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:41 PM
Registered User
stanordave's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
Yes! Exactly what I wanted..

Wx was perfect so wrung it out well. I wanted a plane that would really wrap up when the elevator was hammered and it does that quite well indeed. Didn't measure the throw but its close 85, more on down elevator. The plane is so tame I found out I didn't even need to change to low rates to land. Think I'm gonna have some good fun with it for sure.
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:36 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
You will... I put over 350 flights on mine.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:35 AM
Registered User
India
Joined May 2009
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I have an Airboss ESC question

I bought the combo with the Airboss ESC, and there is a point in the throttle, I think at about 40%, there is a jump in power, like a change of gears. It's very annoying trying to do harrier rolls, especially. Anyone else having this happen?


Chuck
Hey Chuck, could you resolve this issue? I'm seeing the same behaviour from my recently bought Elite45 with 12x6 APC and both 4s and 3s. Though I haven't changed any default settings, I've yet to try setting the default setting again. I feel the power boost as you mention also the throttle response seems to be slower (lagging).
bss_rcg is offline Find More Posts by bss_rcg
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
Registered User
stanordave's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
Tried a SunnySky motor. Flew OK but not much pull. Was going to swap it out when I saw jetinteriorguy's post about upping the prop. Put a 14x6 wood on and..me likey! Think I'll let the Torque sit in the box awhile while I wring this motor out. 'tis such a fun plane..
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:27 PM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,618 Posts
Are you using the 2820 800kv or the 2820 920kv? I use the 920kv and it has crazy power with a 13x6 on 4s. If you want the light and floaty feel you can use a 14x7 on 3s.
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:52 AM
Registered User
stanordave's Avatar
Joined Jan 2006
2,405 Posts
the 800kv on 4s..
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:11 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,927 Posts
My 47" SHP died today, so I went out and bought this birdy. Guts from the SHP and incoming guts for the SHP will be going in the new plane. Hacker A30-12L, 3S 2200, 13x6.5 xoar, 3x TGY-306G servos and a weird multiplex polo digi 4 servo for the elevator, hacker x-55 SB pro.

HI GUYS! .
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:09 AM
Registered User
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Your Hacker will work but not fulfill this airframe's potential. This bird is heavier than your SHP. Go 4s.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:42 AM
Registered User
rayonnair's Avatar
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,927 Posts
Yeah, I will eventually. I actually had the SK3, 800kv motor on the SHP, and on 4S and a 12x6 it felt really good. So I had it in my mind to phase over to 4S slowly. Unfortunately its premature death has left me with too many parts for a 3S setup and no 3D monoplane to fly.

Also, for now I'm probably the limiting factor in the airframe's potential
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:48 AM
Registered User
FlyWW1's Avatar
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Yeah, I will eventually. I actually had the SK3, 800kv motor on the SHP, and on 4S and a 12x6 it felt really good. So I had it in my mind to phase over to 4S slowly. Unfortunately its premature death has left me with too many parts for a 3S setup and no 3D monoplane to fly.

Also, for now I'm probably the limiting factor in the airframe's potential
If your motor is underpowered and you don't feel like dishing out the money for the Torque try this one. I've had great luck with them in in two planes including this one. I push the MXS hard on 4S for 7min and it takes no problem. Gobs of power too! It may take a while to get to you though

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=188
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Extreme flight rc mxs-exp EXTREME FLIGHT Electric Plane Talk 12 Jul 21, 2014 06:24 PM
Discussion EXTREME FLIGHT MXS EXP part 2-First prototype assembly and evaluation process EXTREME FLIGHT 3D Flying 2178 May 13, 2012 10:51 PM
Sold 48" Extreme Flight Edge 540T-EXP red white blue -$320 ARTF AirRaider_2009 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Nov 07, 2010 10:50 PM
Sold 48" Edge EXP Extreme Flight, make offer crazyflyin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2010 06:45 AM
Video Extreme Flight RC Extra 300 EXP 48" Teaser video! Jvdo Electric Plane Talk 6 Oct 21, 2009 02:48 PM