HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:33 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
It seems like this discussion in the past has led to the conclusion that the Extra gear is more durable due to it's curved shape eliminating the abrupt bend that tends to break on the MXS. Never tried it myself, I just made my own aluminum gear that works great. It is a little heavier but will bend versus breaking, and doesn't destroy the lg plate in the process. I have these on three of my 48" balsa's and no problems on any of them. I also made the one on my MXS so it is a little taller and gives a higher aoa for shorter takeoffs.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:37 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
I got 2 flights on mine this evening just before dark. Been a while since I had some stick time. Esp on this plane. Fits like an old hat.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I got 2 flights on mine this evening just before dark. Been a while since I had some stick time. Esp on this plane. Fits like an old hat.
Man it's been forever since I've flown my 48" MXS, but I did get the maiden in on my shiny new 64" MXS.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:39 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Man it's been forever since I've flown my 48" MXS, but I did get the maiden in on my shiny new 64" MXS.
dang nice! congrats! I so jealous. Manta broke.Sold my servos out of my dead vyper,motor and esc out of my 71 slick. my 89 is down for upgrades ,the msx is the only aerobat i got left.. Actually got the shakes flying it this evening..Was nice.
There was a farmer cutting the cotton plants down in the field next to the house. I put on a show for him and the feller that came to pick him up out of the field.( land owner)
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:47 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Quote:
dang nice! congrats! I so jealous. Manta broke.Sold my servos out of my dead vyper,motor and esc out of my 71 slick. my 89 is down for upgrades ,the msx is the only aerobat i got left.. Actually got the shakes flying it this evening..Was nice.
There was a farmer cutting the cotton plants down in the field next to the house. I put on a show for him and the feller that came to pick him up out of the field.( land owner)
It's definitely a keeper. Instantly comfortable flying it. That could spell trouble.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:08 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
It's definitely a keeper. Instantly comfortable flying it. That could spell trouble.
Ya Evil Knievel's dad got one and they let me fly it the other day..Holy crap now i really want one.. Think tho since they have the msx my next one if i ever get to get another plane will be a laser just to be different..
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:25 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
The 48" MXS is the best bargin measured in fun per dollar.

And that is no joke. I almost always bring my 48" MXS to the field, even when I bring by 64" MXS.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:38 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I split the former in front of the wing tube, not sure when it happened either but I will glue it up and still fly the snot out of it.

Wonder if it will make it till the 4th
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:39 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
What is the significance of the 4th (I assume you're not talking about the 4th of July)?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:45 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Ya Evil Knievel's dad got one and they let me fly it the other day..Holy crap now i really want one.. Think tho since they have the msx my next one if i ever get to get another plane will be a laser just to be different..
I was going to hold out for the Laser as well, but all the great reviews and vids and the extra money in my pocket was just overwhelming. But somehow I have a feeling the Laser will come along at the right time and will find a home here as well. I hope my wife doesn't read any of this.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:12 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
What is the significance of the 4th (I assume you're not talking about the 4th of July)?
Nothing. I just have a feeling this one is going to explode in the sky.

Laser talk in the mxs thread
Get one and you will forever be happy.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,386 Posts
Just to make sure before I start surgery...

When putting on the SFGs getting ready for the maiden, noticed there aren't any blind nuts installed. I remember reading about someone having to put their own in but thought that was because they fell out.

Are there blind nuts to attach the SFGs pre-installed as the instructions indicate?

The tiny hole in the picture is blocked. Can't even push a pin through it. Same with the one at the other end of the tip.

- Mike
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:33 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave View Post
When putting on the SFGs getting ready for the maiden, noticed there aren't any blind nuts installed. I remember reading about someone having to put their own in but thought that was because they fell out.

Are there blind nuts to attach the SFGs pre-installed as the instructions indicate?
My first MXS used blind nuts, subsequent versions have been updated to use self tapping screws. The instructions haven't been updated yet.

It's been awhile since I have built an MXS, but IIRC, you use the holes in the SFGs as a guide, line it up, and drill. then use small self tapping screws. I use #3 X 1/2" Dubro buttonhead screws.

I also believe there are self tapping scews in the kit, but I like the Dubros because I can use one allen driver for everything on the plane.

Quote:
The tiny hole in the picture is blocked. Can't even push a pin through it. Same with the one at the other end of the tip.
I believe those little dimples are a drill guide, but I use the SFG itself as a guide, just to get it perfect;y aligned.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,386 Posts
Thanks Doc! That'll be a LOT easier than installing blind nuts. (and quicker!) still might get the maiden in today...
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:19 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
My first MXS used blind nuts, subsequent versions have been updated to use self tapping screws.
i would say downgraded,but thats just me... muuuch easier is on laser with blind nuts and thumb screws...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts